Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2016, 06:21 AM   #3951
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
people have been experimenting with bleach method after the metroplex failure, just google dinoflagellae and metroplex you will find the formula to use. It's easy and quick way to get rid of dino with minimum effect on the inhabitants.

The formula is 0.003/x% of chlorine=mL of bleach/gal.

DNA my dino practically work from the tips of acro's tips then eventually engulf the whole colony til RTN,
Well, hold on there. I had, as well as others, quite impressive results with metronidazole. It seems like you are following that thread over there so you can also find my results there in that thread and in a separate one I documented more details and summaries in this thread.

The bleach is still experimental. You didn't mention how many days is needed. We don't know exactly. Bleach also had some fish deaths. To the person experimenting fish death was an acceptable loss. So, yes it seems so far to be effective but we don't know if it is also truly 100% effective (I have my doubts), if it effects more then just what we want to target (we know if doesnt but dont know to what extent at the micro level), and is certainly more dangerous to overdose.

I am hesitant to try that method out due to the risk factors. Fish are what I care about most in my tank, next my anemones and the tiniest things you can look at. We know it's possible effects on fish but not on anemones or other small organisms.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 10:30 AM   #3952
africangrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Well, hold on there. I had, as well as others, quite impressive results with metronidazole. It seems like you are following that thread over there so you can also find my results there in that thread and in a separate one I documented more details and summaries in this thread.

The bleach is still experimental. You didn't mention how many days is needed. We don't know exactly. Bleach also had some fish deaths. To the person experimenting fish death was an acceptable loss. So, yes it seems so far to be effective but we don't know if it is also truly 100% effective (I have my doubts), if it effects more then just what we want to target (we know if doesnt but dont know to what extent at the micro level), and is certainly more dangerous to overdose.

I am hesitant to try that method out due to the risk factors. Fish are what I care about most in my tank, next my anemones and the tiniest things you can look at. We know it's possible effects on fish but not on anemones or other small organisms.
Yeah, I know when I first saw that post the thought of putting bleach into a tank is very scary proposition but I have to say I was really desperate to try anything. There one rabbit fish, two Randall's gobies, a candy cane shrimp pair and 2 cleaner shrimps. I started my first dose 2 days ago, after adding 3.75mL of 8% chlorine to my 100gal reef, all inhabitants (rabbit fish, two Randall's gobies, a candy cane shrimp pair and 2 cleaner shrimps) are still well and eating, though I don't really know the long term effect of bleach would have on the fish.

This morning after 2 days of 4 doses, a sample tank water were examined under the microscope and I saw dramatic reduction of dino. I am going to continue this regimen for 2 weeks and hopefully it would completely decimate any of those buggers.

Jason, I would love to see your summary and observation on the other site.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2016, 10:32 AM   #3953
jason2459
Registered Member

Thought I posted it here

anyway you can google search for
Will it truly ever go away? Dinoflagellates vs. Metronidazole

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 08/17/2016, 11:31 AM   #3954
africangrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Thought I posted it here

anyway you can google search for
Will it truly ever go away? Dinoflagellates vs. Metronidazole
I am on page 2, but really a work of art with lots of pictures and videos documenting before and after of metroplex.

Under the scope the dino you had doesn't seem like the nastiest of all "Ostreopsis ovata".

Unread 08/17/2016, 11:37 AM   #3955
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
I am on page 2, but really a work of art with lots of pictures and videos documenting before and after of metroplex.

Under the scope the dino you had doesn't seem like the nastiest of all "Ostreopsis ovata".
I have it narrowed down to what I believe to be a type of Alexandrium.

Unread 08/17/2016, 11:47 AM   #3956
africangrey
Registered Member

peridinium is ID'd in your thread, wondering if Metrozole is effective against the Ostis.

were you dosing 125mg/gal, I thought you doubled of what Todd was using at 250mg/gal.

Unread 08/17/2016, 12:21 PM   #3957
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
peridinium is ID'd in your thread, wondering if Metrozole is effective against the Ostis.

were you dosing 125mg/gal, I thought you doubled of what Todd was using at 250mg/gal.
Peridinium was my thought at first and matches the description. But I wasn't fully sure so kept trying to get a more defined ID. I found in a high contrast image a second "tail" which rules out peridinium. Which so far Alexandrium is the closest match I've found so far.

I did 250mg/gal and did a total of 10 days.

Unread 08/17/2016, 12:32 PM   #3958
africangrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Peridinium was my thought at first and matches the description. But I wasn't fully sure so kept trying to get a more defined ID. I found in a high contrast image a second "tail" which rules out peridinium. Which so far Alexandrium is the closest match I've found so far.

Thanks for the clarification, it has been more than 2 weeks as the last posting was Jul 28, what is the status now? No visual dino?

One thing that struck me on the theory of biodiversity for curing the dino is that its seems like you have good population of pods early on but dinos were still running and dancing happily.

Unread 08/17/2016, 03:05 PM   #3959
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, it has been more than 2 weeks as the last posting was Jul 28, what is the status now? No visual dino?

One thing that struck me on the theory of biodiversity for curing the dino is that its seems like you have good population of pods early on but dinos were still running and dancing happily.
I do see dino's but there's a lot of various types of those. The Larger dino (Alexandrium possibly) I have not seen yet. I doubt it's completely gone but it's greatly diminished so I haven't seen it in any samples I've taken recently as well.

I normally never see any kind of dino outbreak. I forced an outbreak though at the beginning of that thread.

Unread 08/17/2016, 04:28 PM   #3960
africangrey
Registered Member

on the other note, since you id the size of Alexandrium to be 30-40 um, what was the rating of filter sock you used to catch the buggers. I can't even find anything lower than 100 um.

Unread 08/17/2016, 05:09 PM   #3961
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
on the other note, since you id the size of Alexandrium to be 30-40 um, what was the rating of filter sock you used to catch the buggers. I can't even find anything lower than 100 um.
The filter socks aren't filtering them directly. However a Diatom filter that goes down to 1um would.

the filter socks are catching other organics that they are attached too which helps to export them. Or they themselves attach to the filter socks.

Unread 08/17/2016, 10:27 PM   #3962
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:

That is supposed to be 250mg/10gallons

Unread 08/18/2016, 06:25 AM   #3963
Kurt03
Registered Member

I feel that dosing no3 and po4 to keep them detectable helped keep my sps alive. The dinos were consuming all the nutrients not leaving much for anything else. I also feel that this helped me start to get some other things to grow some there was actually some nutrients available

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 06:46 AM   #3964
DNA
Registered Member

It's been 3 years since I started this thread and many years before that I had battled the Ostreopsis dinoflagellates.
I've done 100-200 tests with my tank, read countless research articles and kept myself up to date on developments.
I've spent months of my life doing this and documented much of it here for others to pick up and improve upon.

Even though my current status is unchanged with the dinos that are keeping me away from my passion with SPS, all is not lost.
It's been interesting and very educational tackling these little devils and I regret nothing at all.
We have made a definite progress in knowledge and a lot of futile tests are valuable results even if they haven't solved the issue.

I don't think I'll be doing any more tests and will leave those to someone else and I think those need to be well funded trained professionals.
My reef tank stays as it is and hopefully the future will come up with something.

I'm both disappointed in how slow things are moving and very thankful to those that have contributed.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2016, 07:22 AM   #3965
Kurt03
Registered Member

DNA, I'm curious what your no3 and po4 levels are at since you have had such a long battle with these? Thank you for all of the effort you have put into this thread.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 02:01 PM   #3966
bheron
Registered Member

I'm a fan of the "dirty" method as it helped me defeat my Dinos. Albeit it resulted in an algae break. Finally getting the algae under control....dinos are back :-) Employing the dirty method now simply by overfeeding, but in a much more controlled manner.

My (dumb) question is - will running my skimmer, dosing carbon, or doing water changes undermine the "dirty" method? Can I do any of those to help water clarity (like carbon) but not sacrifice the beneficial life that's keeping my Dinos at bay?

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 08:06 PM   #3967
bertoni
RC Mod

Carbon should be fine to run, and might help. Even the skimmer could be okay, but you will need to experiment with that.

Unread 08/24/2016, 08:02 AM   #3968
Squidmotron
Registered Member

For me I just relaxed things that aggressively target one nutrient (i.e., GFO). Left he skimmer running.

I actually think carbon dosing may help long term once your system is in line and back to having more normal algae.

Current Tank Info: 210 Gallon "Mixed Reef" Tank (84 inches wide)
Squidmotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 08:13 AM   #3969
bheron
Registered Member

Great, thanks all. I will try some carbon and see what happens.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 04:30 PM   #3970
robertifly
Premium Member

I am starting taking down system to start over by cleaning equipment that is in the sump or had water running through it, then sump and eventually the display tank. I have a few select corals and fish I would like to keep if it is possible by setting up in a quarantine tank. I have Ostreopsis ovata in my tank that I am giving up on so 1. How to clean corals and fish? 2. What to clean display tank and equipment? I have several gallons of 5% white vinegar on hand. Thanks Robert

Current Tank Info: none
robertifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 08:59 PM   #3971
karimwassef
Registered Member

I just discovered KMnO4 as a powerful oxidizer. It kills anything that's not a coral. The only reason corals survive is because they can close up tightly while the oxidizer burns through all tissue.

It's not easy to use though. I had to set up multiple dips in a peroxide solution to remove it from the rockwork and spongy rocks.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2016, 09:01 PM   #3972
bertoni
RC Mod

The tank and other equipment probably will be fine with a cleaning with some vinegar. If you are very worried, wiping with a dilute bleach solution would be safe enough for the tank. I'd work outdoors to reduce fume exposure.

For the corals, a dip like Lugol's or one of the commercial products might do the job. I'm not sure about that. A freshwater dip for the fish should be enough, with some luck.

Last edited by bertoni; 08/28/2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo: fish instead of corals
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 06:01 AM   #3973
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

I had green cayno in my tank after my move....been fighting it since Jan. Then 3 weeks ago I was at Petco getting my dogs nails done and came across this stuff...I said what the heck...Added 1/4 recommended amount and then a week later added the same amount. (total 1/2 the recommended amount) Now 3 weeks later the green cayno is almost gone. I did not change nothing but that. So maybe it worked....
http://www.bhg.com/shop/imagitarium-...b5452c8f9.html

Thanks
Matt

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 11:23 AM   #3974
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertifly View Post
I am starting taking down system to start over by cleaning equipment that is in the sump or had water running through it, then sump and eventually the display tank. I have a few select corals and fish I would like to keep if it is possible by setting up in a quarantine tank. I have Ostreopsis ovata in my tank that I am giving up on so 1. How to clean corals and fish? 2. What to clean display tank and equipment? I have several gallons of 5% white vinegar on hand. Thanks Robert
You should get rid of all livestock and be very thorough with the cleaning, if it's a small tank dump the sand and live-rock and make sure not to start with a sterile tank giving dinos the head start.
Hope for the best, but expect to see dinos back.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 06:05 PM   #3975
bertoni
RC Mod

Oops, I had to fix a typo in my post. I meant a Lugol's dip for the corals, and maybe a fresh water dip for the fish.