Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2010, 10:51 PM   #51
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Jay, I knew what the overhang was for, but do you think I could think of it when I seen it. Looking really good so far, just as I knew it would. Again if you need any help you know how to contact me.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 11:49 PM   #52
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmait769 View Post
Deehz – Sorry I missed your last post here. I did contact Imagesniron and looks like powdercoating is a go! They gave me a great quote over the phone so will get it to them ASAP. You sure know a lot about our little town!! Thanks!!

Jay – That is my problem. When I took on the mustang everything else took a back seat! Got to learn how to balance my hobbies!! You can ask some of the old timers (figuratively speaking of course! ) I’ve been talking and planning this for a long time!!

I worked on finishing the welding tonight but ran out of wire so onward tomorrow!

Jay
Jay,
Not a problem. Glad I could be of some help to your build. My job requires me to think outside of the box and do allot of research and calling locally/EP (on top of my other duties--lol). I have contacted a ton of vendors here in Cruces since it is a shorter drive then EP. I believe this is one of them, I think! LOL

Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 05:23 PM   #53
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayvoltage View Post
Jay, I knew what the overhang was for, but do you think I could think of it when I seen it. Looking really good so far, just as I knew it would. Again if you need any help you know how to contact me.
It does look a little confusing at first glance!!

OK After three days of welding and grinding it is ready for the powdercoat!! I will take it in the morning. He told me we could do a textured paint on it so did not do a whole lot of sanding on it. I thought I would have the room ready by now but have not even started on that. I need to get it moved around and will then post some pics of the layout.

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 10:44 PM   #54
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Nice looking stand, great handiwork.

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 06:11 AM   #55
nmnative
Registered Member

Great welds Jay! What kinda welder are you using, wire feed? We have a gas powered stick welder on a trailer that needs attention. Need to find someone to work on it I suppose.

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 10:52 AM   #56
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnative View Post
Great welds Jay! What kinda welder are you using, wire feed? We have a gas powered stick welder on a trailer that needs attention. Need to find someone to work on it I suppose.
That's what you get for buying harbor freight!!! HAHAHA

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 09:02 PM   #57
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Thanks Jay and Audrey!! Audrey, I used a MIG welder with flux-cored wire and Steffen – you guessed it – A HB special!!!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/24/2010, 03:50 PM   #58
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Some pics my daughter took as the tank arrived today!! Very exciting!!!! Wish I could have been there to help Dennis. Also, thanks for receiving and holding for me!!!

This pic shows the two 1” holes for the returns (under plastic) and a 1˝” intake hole for the closed loop

You can see the two 1˝” holes on this side for the Glass-Holes overflow box.

Jay

Unread 05/24/2010, 06:40 PM   #59
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

Looks great!!! lots of holes though. lol

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 07:30 PM   #60
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Looks good Jay! I really can't believe people that have problems with these brand of aquariums. All of the ones I have seen seem to be very well built and I know I am very happy with my 300. They have plenty of bracing not only on top but also interior on the bottom. And the bracing is doubled up 1/2".

Unread 06/01/2010, 08:44 PM   #61
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quick update. Images 'N Iron called today and the powdercoating is finished so will pick the stand up tomorrow!! Soon Dennis soon!!! My plan is to get the tank this weekend but there is a lot to do so Dennis bear with me (I started to use “bare with me” but did not want confusion as in roster – rooster!! ).

I started the demo/walk thru with the wife in the future fish room/laundry room. It is a battle for space – good thing I’m in charge!!! Not!!!

These pics show what I’m up against. Looking from right to left:

This is the FW in-wall from the equipment side. I still need to trim this out!!

This is the wall the tank is going into. I will remove the shelf and slide the tank as close as I can to the far wall.

I will slide the washer and dryer to the left and the cabinets will be raised. Not really sure on the exact placement but want to maintain 36” from the tank.

I may have to cut this counter top down to just the larger section on the right which is 36”

Pic of the ceiling with AC duct and vent to outside. Think of using a humidistat to run a small 24vac fan for humidity control in the winter.

Jay

Unread 06/01/2010, 09:33 PM   #62
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Oh shoot Jay, for a guy like you all that is not even a good days work. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Don't forget the offer to help still stands, you know my number.

Unread 06/01/2010, 09:43 PM   #63
nmnative
Registered Member

Looking good! I like the play on words and the smiley for "you being in charge"!! I like the fact that you are thinking ahead with the humidity control

nmnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2010, 06:26 AM   #64
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

Looks Great Jay.

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2010, 04:26 PM   #65
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Thanks Ryan, Audrey and John!!

Picked up the stand and think it turned out great. The white is textured and is an off white. I asked Imagesniron about powdercoating a frame and was pleasantly surprised at the low quote. While I was there they pulled out two inner fender wells that had been powdercoated a brilliant dark blue and they where flawless! Makes me want to start that 56 Ford F100 build I have always wanted….

OK back to the laundry room to move some cabinets!!

Jay

Unread 06/03/2010, 06:10 AM   #66
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

Looks Great

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2010, 07:36 PM   #67
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Ok got most of the cabinets moved and the washer/dryer. It was a battle but I still get to call it the fishroom!!

First pic is the stand in place and marking the wall for the first cut of drywall!! Once the wall has been framed it will slide in flush to the living room side.

This second shot is the far left side. You can see an electrical outlet on the far wall by the cap and there is also another outlet by the blue tape. Chuy, good news, we got lucky as both of these outlets are wired separately to the junction box with no other outlets or lights attached (that I can find). The top one is a 20 amp circuit and the lower one is 15 amp. I cut the power off to each outlet and all other outlets and lights worked. Bad news is below!!

In this shot you can see that the tank is lined up with the switches which are for the lights and the exhaust fan. Going to have to move this one. Not sure why my builder wasted his time but there is two phone jacks and one cable outlet in this room. Won’t be using any of these so the open box to the left of the switches can just be removed.

Real happy with how level the stand with floor came out!!

I want to measure the tank for sure before I start cutting so will hopefully make a trip over to measure it tomorrow. Lots to do!! Thanks for looking and suggestions are really appreciated!!!

Jay

Unread 06/03/2010, 10:06 PM   #68
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Jay, looks like it is all going nice. I thought I was the only one who took pics of the level on the tank or stand.

Who was it that ask how much I had to shim that level to get it to read that way?
Maybe it was Chuy.

Unread 06/04/2010, 08:56 AM   #69
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Who was it that ask how much I had to shim that level to get it to read that way?
Ha why cheat yourself!!! Now that is a long level you have there!! I just realized how beat up my level is, looking at that pic! Need to ask for a new one for Fathers Day!! I was ready for some shimming action due to the tile on the floor and may still have to do that when I move it forward into the cutout.

Jay

Unread 06/04/2010, 06:57 PM   #70
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Jay, I was thinking the same for when you move it into the cutout. You could check it real easy before the cutout is done. Flip the stand around and then it will be against the wall like it will be when in the wall.

Unread 06/04/2010, 07:52 PM   #71
jmait769
-CSHFLW

John – That is an excellent idea!!!

Went to see the tank for the first time at Dennis’ today!! Woohoo I’m even more excited. Took some measurements and tried out the Glass-holes 1500 gph overflow for fitment. The tank looks awesome!! Thanks for holding it for me Dennis and don’t sell it!!

It’s movie night tonight so have to watch Avatar!! Not much will be done tonight but, hopefully, will get some more work done this weekend!!

Jay

Unread 06/04/2010, 11:13 PM   #72
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Cant wait til the demolition work begins.

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 12:48 AM   #73
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Jay, I watched Avatar last night. The tank looks nice for sure.

Unread 06/06/2010, 01:42 AM   #74
deehz
Registered Member

Jay,
Your ideas for the tank are fantastic and looking great! I tried to sneak your tank from Dennis' shop Friday but was to heavy and big for my SUV! LOL Would of have to put my boys inside the tank to ship it to Cruces. Of course I would put the seat belt around the tank to keep my boys and the tank safe inside! The tank is HUGE! Can't wait to see it finished! Are you going reef or FOWLR? Either way, it is going to look great. Thanks and back from the dead, finally!! LMAO!!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 08:55 PM   #75
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Jay, I watched Avatar last night. The tank looks nice for sure.
Thanks John!! Avatar was pretty good but I’m glad I watched at home – too long!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
Your ideas for the tank are fantastic and looking great! I tried to sneak your tank from Dennis' shop Friday but was to heavy and big for my SUV! Are you going reef or FOWLR? Either way, it is going to look great. Thanks and back from the dead, finally!! LMAO!!
Thanks Deehz. Ha, Dennis said many people are trying to buy it when they see it in the store!!! (No way Dennis!! )It will be a reef for sure. What happened that you are back from the dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay508 View Post
Cant wait til the demolition work begins.
Jay - It has begun!! Did not get as much done this weekend as I would have liked due to some “Honey Do’s” that cropped up. Will try and frame it out tomorrow but need to move some electrical first.

Jay