Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 04:59 PM   #5476
pfan151
Registered Member

Here are a few of the best shots I could get of mine. Small one is from liveaquaria, bigger one is from Aquatic Collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 06:57 PM   #5477
OrionN
Moved on

Very nice. Many Reefers are envious of you.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 07:15 PM   #5478
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Very nice. Many Reefers are envious of you.
I'm pretty impressed with how quick they started getting along. Pretty much one day of a little chasing and they've been good since then. They are both pretty bold. Always waiting at the top corner for some food when I walk in the room.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:32 PM   #5479
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I'm pretty impressed with how quick they started getting along. Pretty much one day of a little chasing and they've been good since then. They are both pretty bold. Always waiting at the top corner for some food when I walk in the room.
That's likely because the larger one is already clearly on the way to turn male.

My two Sumatra Regals took almost a year to stop the regular chases. The larger still doesn't show any growth of the gill spines. Also, those two generally like to stay in the rocks or under cover of coral branches.
Their favorite food are flakes...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:38 AM   #5480
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
That's likely because the larger one is already clearly on the way to turn male.

My two Sumatra Regals took almost a year to stop the regular chases. The larger still doesn't show any growth of the gill spines. Also, those two generally like to stay in the rocks or under cover of coral branches.

I wish I could get mine on flakes. Both are still only on mysis, clams, and reef frenzy. Once they get a little fatter I'll try to let them get more hungry before feeding to see if they'll cave on eating the flakes.

Unread 03/31/2017, 09:06 AM   #5481
OrionN
Moved on

Mixed flakes with frozen, portion of flake increase every few days. They will learn from seeing the other fish eat and they will prefer flakes in no time. There are a lot more calories in dry food than frozen food. Unless I have a strict carnivores, I prefer to use dry food for my reef, not to mention cheaper and better nutrition.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/31/2017, 09:53 AM   #5482
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Mixed flakes with frozen, portion of flake increase every few days. They will learn from seeing the other fish eat and they will prefer flakes in no time. There are a lot more calories in dry food than frozen food. Unless I have a strict carnivores, I prefer to use dry food for my reef, not to mention cheaper and better nutrition.
That's a good plan. I'll try tonight.

Unread 03/31/2017, 09:57 AM   #5483
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

Were your starki's large when you got them? I'm trying to find some small ones to try to pair up but all I can seems to find are large ones.

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:57 PM   #5484
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Were your starki's large when you got them? I'm trying to find some small ones to try to pair up but all I can seems to find are large ones.
The male was a large one from DD. The smaller ones I special ordered from Jordan (Among the Reef). Since I put them to the male in the big tank they have grown quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:26 PM   #5485
JustinM
Registered Member

So I was able to get my small regal to eat a few pellets but wasn't too happy with how much he was eating. I went to the local market and picked up a few live clams and he is going to town on them. How long can I leave them in the tank before it fouls up the water?

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 06:37 PM   #5486
saf1
Registered Member

ThRoewer - do you mind if I ask what are the three mostly blue with yellow on their back fish are? That color combo may not work because I already have a pair of Asure's that are the opposite - lol. They are mostly blue with yellow on the bottom.

Stilly - very pretty fish, has they all are. They looked a lot like the starcki damsel but more pygmy angel type.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 09:35 PM   #5487
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
ThRoewer - do you mind if I ask what are the three mostly blue with yellow on their back fish are? That color combo may not work because I already have a pair of Asure's that are the opposite - lol. They are mostly blue with yellow on the bottom.

Stilly - very pretty fish, has they all are. They looked a lot like the starcki damsel but more pygmy angel type.
Those are Starcki damsels. The male is fully grown and about the same length as the smaller Regal.

There is actually a pygmy angel with almost identical coloration: Centropyge resplendens from Ascension Island and possibly Saint Helena - impossible to get these days.

Unread 04/20/2017, 04:52 PM   #5488
JustinM
Registered Member

Does anyone ever notice if their regales eat air bubbles. She goes to the top and flicks her tail and makes bubbles then chases them and eats them. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about but found it odd.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 09:22 AM   #5489
alton
Registered Member

I had one that spit water if I did not feed him fast enough. Some fish have funny personalities

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 01:21 PM   #5490
ThRoewer
Registered Member

All of my 5 regals have different personalities. The Philippines Regal is more shy than the other.
The little Bali Regal is not shy at all and a real bully.
The Maldives Regal is quite curious but also quite cautious.
The female of the Sumatra pair is very inquisitive and not very shy. The male is more cautious and much more picky with food. Both show minimal aggression towards other fish. Though one of my little high fin gobies tried to pick a fight with the Sumatra male when he was grazing on algae near the goby's burrow - it was quite a hilarious​ scene.

Unread 05/09/2017, 01:21 PM   #5491
Stickboy97
Registered Member

I've read quite a few pages here, but not all 220. I'm considering picking up a regal this week. How are they mostly with corals? I have SPS, nems, torches, frogspawn, candy canes & zoas (fear he'll eat these). I'll QT him for a while, once I add him to the tank he'll be in with 7 green chromis & 1 leopard wrasse (pretty tame bunch). Then I'll add my pyramid butterfly & yellow mimic tang after (they are already in QT).

Thoughts?

Unread 05/09/2017, 01:25 PM   #5492
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
I've read quite a few pages here, but not all 220. I'm considering picking up a regal this week. How are they mostly with corals? I have SPS, nems, torches, frogspawn, candy canes & zoas (fear he'll eat these). I'll QT him for a while, once I add him to the tank he'll be in with 7 green chromis & 1 leopard wrasse (pretty tame bunch). Then I'll add my pyramid butterfly & yellow mimic tang after (they are already in QT).

Thoughts?
Not in a 100 gallon, 4 foot long tank...

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 01:35 PM   #5493
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post

Thoughts?
The zoas are pretty much guaranteed to be toast. Mine are fine with sps, an elegance, hammers, anemones, and a few Yuma ricordia. I think a 100g tank will be fine for quite a long time if you buy a juvenile to start.

Unread 05/09/2017, 02:21 PM   #5494
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
The zoas are pretty much guaranteed to be toast. Mine are fine with sps, an elegance, hammers, anemones, and a few Yuma ricordia. I think a 100g tank will be fine for quite a long time if you buy a juvenile to start.
I agree with pfan

Zoo's and Angels are like bread and butter, sooner than later they are gonna get eaten.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 02:54 PM   #5495
OrionN
Moved on

Mine are great with Euphilia, SPS, clams, and anemones. He ate all my Xenia. No Zoa in my tank.

Unread 05/09/2017, 03:23 PM   #5496
ian03
Registered Member

My little regal started eating pellets today, I'm so happy! It's always ate frozen but it's great to see it eat the pellets

ian03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 06:52 PM   #5497
Reef908
Registered Member

Mine has been fine with all coral in my tank thus far. I have frogspawn and hammer, leathers, ricordia and mushroom, and sps but no zoas. He crushes pellets and has grown pretty fat (eats all food I feed).

Unread 05/10/2017, 08:20 AM   #5498
Stickboy97
Registered Member

Thanks! I just bought a $75 stick of zoas this weekend.... looks like I have a choice to make. These are beautiful fish.

Unread 05/10/2017, 01:59 PM   #5499
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Two, possibly three, of my Regals are largely ignoring the​ zoas I have in their tanks.
Even if they actually would want to eat the zoas they would have a hard time to get to all of them.

I think the trick is to place the zoas where they are out of reach for the angels.

Unread 05/16/2017, 07:40 PM   #5500
Adanali
Registered Member

nice

Adanali is offline   Reply With Quote