Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2010, 11:27 AM   #1
chubby hugs
Registered Member

How much output from skimmer?

I have been cycling my 75G tank for the past 4 weeks with good results, I think. Currently sitting at 0 ammonia and nitrite with 40ppm on nitrate. I got the tank and sump used and have had concerns about the skimmer from the get go. I am thinking strongly about upgrading it in the future, but was hoping it would be good enough to run for a few months at least (trying to save $$ for a nice skimmer)
The first week and a half I was getting a lot of skimmate from the skimmer and was dumping my drain bottle every couple of days, but now it barely accumulates anything. I only have a small clean up crew in the tank at the moment, so I don't have too much going into the water, but I want to know if this slow down in skimmer output is normal. Will the skimmer start picking more things up once I add some fish and start feeding or should I still be getting some stuff out of it with only the rock and CUC in there?

chubby hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2010, 11:30 AM   #2
mltnguyen
Registered Member

I think your ok. If you bio load is low then your skimmer does not have much to work with. I would not worry until you get a larger bio load.

Welcome to the hobby as well

mltnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Neogenocide
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a ok skimmer, finished cycling about 2 weeks ago. Skimmer barely pulls anything, but I've got perfect water specs. The only thing in the tank is the CUC and 2 1" clowns. So no real bioload. I pull some fairly light skimmate but overall I'm lucky if I dump the cup once a week. Even then it's a fairly wet skim....tea looking.

Scott

Unread 02/03/2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Chiefsurfer
Registered Member

Might help if you tell us what type of skimmer it is. Also, when you dump the skimmate, do you clean the collection cup and tube? If not, you should do that every few days as well.

Ultimately I agree, if you have a very low bioload, your skimmer will have less to pull.

Current Tank: 20 Gallon tall, 4-bulb t5 HO, Eshopps psk75H, ac-70 fuge. So far, green clown goby, striped goby, more gorillas than I wish I had, 5 SPS frags, 3 LPS Frags, 1 Softee, Turkey Wing Clam.

Plan for the future: 120 gallon 4ft glass tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon tall Reef Tank
Chiefsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2010, 12:27 PM   #5
chubby hugs
Registered Member

It is a Pro-Clear Aquatics 75... part of the package with the Pro-clear wet dry filter that I have turned into my sump (no bio balls, going to run carbon once get fish in). Like I said, I have serious concerns about the skimmer, but LFS encouraged me to try it as opposed to buying a new one from them to save money in the outset (whoa!). It could probably use a cleaning, I will try that and see if it helps.

chubby hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Chiefsurfer
Registered Member

also, fwiw, it may take a few hours for your skimmer to pull again after a cleaning.

Current Tank: 20 Gallon tall, 4-bulb t5 HO, Eshopps psk75H, ac-70 fuge. So far, green clown goby, striped goby, more gorillas than I wish I had, 5 SPS frags, 3 LPS Frags, 1 Softee, Turkey Wing Clam.

Plan for the future: 120 gallon 4ft glass tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon tall Reef Tank
Chiefsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote