Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2014, 08:24 AM   #1
ExpensiveHobby
Registered Member

POD's

I have had a small refugium going in my NUVO 16 for about 2 months. For the first month I was lighting it 24 hours a day. I had massive growth and I was harvesting 50% about every 10 days. During this time span I realized that I never saw any pods.

For the last month I have been running the lights about 12-18 hours a day and not only have I had faster growth but I have had a POD explosion. They are all over the glass in the refugium and in the chaeto. I have noticed them scurrying in and out of the live rock in the display too.

My question is when I am harvesting the chaeto now I know I am killing off hundreds if not thousands of POD's. Is there anyway to salvage them prior to trashing the chaeto? They big ones I can just pick out but the small ones are too small.

Unread 03/02/2014, 12:08 PM   #2
tektite
I never finish anyth

Fill a container of water with tank water, put the harvested chaeto in it, shake the container like crazy to get the pods off the chaeto, take the chaeto out and pour the water back in the tank

Unread 03/02/2014, 01:38 PM   #3
ExpensiveHobby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektite View Post
Fill a container of water with tank water, put the harvested chaeto in it, shake the container like crazy to get the pods off the chaeto, take the chaeto out and pour the water back in the tank
Y didnt I think of that