Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Rskillz
Registered Member

Fish/Inverts/Corals; how does their Bio-load compare?

Hey guys. Just curious (haven't found much documentation about it) When introducing new items to the tank, how do they compare as far as the bio-stress they bring with them...

Inparticular, how do...Inverts, Corals, anenomes, and Fish compare to each other?

Rskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2010, 09:24 AM   #2
ser_renely
Registered Member

good question.

I don't know but I assume fish are far, far higher than all the others. unless you are feeding the others, I don't see much impact from inverts, unless you have a lot!

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

Fish by far produce the most bio load. This is because they need the most food to survive. Which means they poop the most. Then I would say inverts because if you have a tank full of inverts and no fish you have to manuallyfeed them. With inverts only you need to overfeed a bit to be sure all crabs and snails get some. If you only had a tank full of corals these would be the lowest bioload. Some corals eat for a week before producing any waste. Some even longer. Some corals dont even have a negative bioload footprint. Meaning they take more dissolved organics out of the water than they put in. Im not sure I really understand where this question is leading, but there is somewhat of an answer. Let us know if you need more specifics.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote