Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2020, 03:40 PM   #1
PENNYWISE
Registered Member

Does my tank need a top?

Anyone run a tank with no cover? Just open water? Any things I should consider? I can never get the shadow of the seam that runs down the middle to be at the right spot. Without the cover the light from my LEDs look amazing.

PENNYWISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 04:21 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

Do you have fish or are you going to have fish? Do you mind periodically finding one of the fish, maybe that $200 tang, one the floor.

If so, yes a top. All fish jump as so will at times be on the floor with no top.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Screen top is what you need.

Unread 01/18/2020, 05:55 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I’ll vote for a screen top as well. Blocks minimal light, allows for great oxygen exchange, and can be DIY’d easily and inexpensively.

Why wouldn’t you???

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2020, 12:49 PM   #5
josbur63
Registered Member

I have mangroves in my display tank,so a little hard for them to grow with a top on.Havent had a problem with jumping fish,but i make it a point not to purchase those prone to jumping.

josbur63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Constantine
Registered Member

I have glass tops. You can remove the hinge part and then just lift the front panel out of the way or slide it back on top of the other panel. I think it's actually easier to use with a light resting on top of the tank, then using the hinges. And there isn't a shadow from it either. Greatly reduces evaporation. I use some craft tool plastic mesh at the back of the tank so no gas exchange issues either.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

My tank is 7ftx6ft (LxW) so there’s not covers on it and I’m not really sure how I would cover it. I don’t have any prone jumpers but all fish can jump out of your tank. It’s a calculated risk

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Dmorty,
I can offer a suggestion if you are interested.

Unread 01/21/2020, 06:35 AM   #9
alton
Registered Member

One of the biggest complaints about AI or Radion LEDS is the spot lighting effect you get. By using glass tops they become a diffuser and the lighting of your tank equals out. I picked up 6 used AI lights and I already had 4 build my led lights

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 310 WITH AI LIGHTS SET 40%r.jpg (54.4 KB, 8 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote