Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2015, 08:42 PM   #1
WvReefJunkie
Registered Member

Sohal Tang-Ya or Na?

I have a 220 display reef tank with a few tangs already. I was wanting to get a Sohal tang as my last fish, but don't know how the other fish would react. I have already Blonde Naso, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Blue Regal, Copperband Butterfly and some smaller fish. The tangs are around 4 to 5 inches in length. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated if I could add this fish.

WvReefJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 09:00 PM   #2
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

I wouldn't if you want to keep peace in your tank long term.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 09:02 PM   #3
WvReefJunkie
Registered Member

Because more aggression as they get bigger?

Unread 01/31/2015, 09:05 PM   #4
SoloChromis
Registered Member

Absolutely not. Sohals are by far the most aggressive tangs out there IME. I used to work at a LFS where we had a 3,500g reef pond/coral retail tank, loaded with all kinds of tangs, of every genera, and eventually we decided to add a small sohal (2-3") and he was an absolute terror, even being the smallest, newest tang, and even in that large of a system. The largest tang was a sailin that was roughly 18" long, and his fins were torn and he had a few new scars before we finally sold the sohal and his reign of terror came to an end. I would say the average sohal would do well in a tank of at least 350g, with unobstructed swimming room, and few other herbivores for it to perceive as a threat to it's resources.

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 09:07 PM   #5
WvReefJunkie
Registered Member

That's awful, did not know they could be that aggressive. Thank you.

Unread 01/31/2015, 09:28 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvReefJunkie View Post
Because more aggression as they get bigger?
Once they get to be about 7 inches, they are radically aggressive.

Unread 02/01/2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Once they get to be about 7 inches, they are radically aggressive.
+1 nay

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 10:46 AM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

First hand example of why not. 1000g fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97v0wuZv1Vc

This looks fun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5KOVvj7TVo

I want one because it is easily one of my favorites but i'm scared to try in my own tank. I keep going back and forth. In the end if I can resist my impulse buy for more than a few hours common sense kicks in. Might as well toss in a barracuda...

I know some people have them and have success but I am no where close to lucky enough for that.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 02/01/2015 at 10:56 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

That second video the Sohal is stunningly beautiful, you can see why people want them but getting attacked when you stick your hand in the tank doesn't sound like any fun to me. I have heard of them attacking people when large more so than not

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:33 AM   #10
cabinetman123
Registered Member

I got one that was about 4" long and put it in my 180 with a bunch of other tangs. After just a day or so it went crazy atacking all my other tangs, even my 8" hippo. I thought there was no way to deal with this other than to tear my tank apart and get rid of it but I read somewhere to put a mirror on the tank so I did. Not a really big mirror just one about 12x8" or so. The results have been amazing. As soon as I put the mirror up the sohal payed no attention to nothing but it's own reflection. I left the mirror up for 2 or 3 days then took it down and to my amazement the sohal now, for the most part, leaves all other tank mates alone. If it acts up Ill just put the mirror up again for a few days and it seams to settle it. I've even used to mirror to successfully add a few new tangs toy tank since I got the sohal. They are so caught up with there own reflection they pay no attention to the new comer. And...in case the tang police are reading I've already got my 350 gallon and will be switching things over in the next few weeks.

Unread 02/01/2015, 11:46 AM   #11
cabinetman123
Registered Member

And I should mention that mine is now 6" and is the second biggest tang in the tank and rarely bothers anyone

Unread 02/01/2015, 11:51 AM   #12
jbvdhp
Registered Member

I have one that's roughly 3.5" maybe 4", and hasn't caused trouble (really) with a yellow, Naso, maybe the purple every now and then, but pretty peaceful **so far**. It's quite beautiful and I got a steal of a deal on it, so it'll be here to stay. Never really bullied anyone, but would assert its presence-not dominance- in the tank.

I say try it, you never learn unless you try.

Maybe I am just lucky for now.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Give us updates when the sohal is 8" and again when it's closer to 12" that seems to be when they really develop a attitude

Unread 02/02/2015, 12:14 AM   #14
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Give us updates when the sohal is 8" and again when it's closer to 12" that seems to be when they really develop a attitude

Yeesh. I dread the day it reaches that size, but man they're gorgeous when older eh? It will give me an excuse to upgrade!

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 07:32 AM   #15
maikoa02
Registered Member

It will fight the other tangs once it's established. IMO the most beautiful fish out there once an adult. I've had 2 since being in the hobby, purchasing both as 2" juvi's and raising them to 7" adults. The first was with angels and was clearly aggressive but never to a point where I had to separate it. The second was with bigger established tangs and within 1 1/2 years was destroying them. Gave it to a friend with even bigger tangs and the same thing happened to a point that it pretty much killed 2 of his fish.

maikoa02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:33 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

A Nay here too. Kept Sohal's twice and there will never be a third. First one was OK, but the second one was a holy terror. Essentially reduced my tank to a mono culture. Plus, 220 is too small for a Sohal anyhow.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 10:48 AM   #17
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
A Nay here too. Kept Sohal's twice and there will never be a third. First one was OK, but the second one was a holy terror. Essentially reduced my tank to a mono culture. Plus, 220 is too small for a Sohal anyhow.
500g is too small for them coming from those who have attempted one in a tank that large so that means there is about .5% of us that could attempt one and even then it's not a for sure thing. They are beautiful but if people are getting attacked in the ocean by them there is no way that it will work out long term no matter how large the tank is. Or I suppose if you want that to be the only fish in the tank that attacks you everytime you reach your hand in then that's your choice

Unread 02/02/2015, 10:59 AM   #18
DrSoussou
Registered Member

They're the most aggressive tang, I wouldn't do it. Mine got so aggressive it would attack the magnet I use to clean the glass if I ever moved it. Keep the peace

DrSoussou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2015, 11:22 AM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Or I suppose if you want that to be the only fish in the tank that attacks you everytime you reach your hand in then that's your choice
Hah, I had forgotten that ....

My second Sohal, after taking all the other fish out (except for a diamond watchman goby that was just too quick and well hidden) would actually attempt to swipe at my arm with its scalpel. Got me a couple of times too, the mean ba$tard. This was in an 8' 400 plus gallon tank. Beautiful fish ....but only scale deep

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2018, 05:21 PM   #20
TopDogFish
Registered Member

the sohol tang is a fish killer and so i took him out of my 60 gallon and put him by himself in a 22 gallon. he killed three of my expensive fish. if you don't mind your fish being murdered one by one, by all means put him in your fish tank with all the other fish.

TopDogFish is offline   Reply With Quote