Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2017, 07:44 PM   #126
scuzy
Registered Member

I really like these Mitras been really nice over my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 07:59 AM   #127
mikeatjac
Registered Member

After comparing the G4 Pro and the LX7 in a unscientific test.......
Keep in mind we did not use a par meter, not sure who has it.
Both have great programming functions, spread and colors.
If you take a picture you can't tell which is which.
However to the naked eye there is a big difference. The G4 looks more alive.

We also tested HD26s and G3 Pros. We did like the HD26 however you need two to do what a G4 or LX7 does so there is little price difference. The G3 is not a G4.

So I am sure both LX7 and G4 will be great additions to anyone's tank, I am going to place my order for the G4.

Unread 03/05/2017, 09:47 AM   #128
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post

We also tested HD26s and G3 Pros. We did like the HD26 however you need two to do what a G4 or LX7 does so there is little price difference. The G3 is not a G4.

So I am sure both LX7 and G4 will be great additions to anyone's tank, I am going to place my order for the G4.

From d2mini:

"Light Quality
You get 9 separate, dimmable color channels to work with. Hyper Violet, Ultra Violet, Royal Blue, Blue, Blue White, Cool White, Warm White, True Green, and Hyper Red. Wow. There are a total of 72 leds spread across 6 clusters. Each cluster is replaceable/upgradeable and the leds are clustered very tight together and within a metal coated reflector that attempts to mimic parabolic metal halide reflectors. This blends the separate color channels to avoid that "disco" effect commonly seen in tanks that are lit by led fixtures. I can say that I see zero disco effect in my tank. The light spread and lack of shadowing is also quite impressive. I removed the 24" double ended metal halide fixture and replaced it with this Mitras and I can not see any discernible difference."

Can you say the same for the G4?

Just wondering if the LED lens vs reflector is the difference for the "more alive" look you mention?

Perhaps the Mitras will be more like a hybrid unit using T5/LEDs.

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 10:29 AM   #129
mikeatjac
Registered Member

IMO the difference is due to the number of pucks. The LX7 pucks wash each other out. More of a T5 look. However we all agreed that the G4 made the tank look more "alive".
I did not see a disco effect with either.
Which is better, only time will tell.

Unread 03/05/2017, 11:04 AM   #130
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

A couple thoughts come to mind.. Were the Mitras in High Efficiency mode or High Output mode? Was power balance utilized? How much time was spent playing with the channels? There are some settings changes that can make the two fixtures seem nearly identical (just enabling HO Mode and copying he settings of the Radion to the LX7 or some changes that can give the advantage to the Mitras (HO Mode with power balance enabled while adjusting each channel to bring out colors of the corals). Also, if the MItras were in High Efficiency mode, then it wasn't fair comparison because you aren't using the full power of the Mitras. If you enable power balancing, on the Mitras so you can use all available power then the edge can easily go to the Mitras if you spend the time fine tuning the channels. Both are however great fixtures. I don't think the 6 pucks vs the 2 makes much of a difference though the 2 pucks on the Radion will act more as a point source light however you lose spread and end up with more shadowing issues were as the 6 pucks help mitigate shadowing a bit more.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:10 AM   #131
FPSD
Registered Member

Flawed logic. Doesn't matter what your eyes like. It's what the corals like. JMO

FPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:43 AM   #132
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Since this Thread is about the Mitras LX7, I do see the mention of the HO & HE modes:

"You can choose between 2 operation modes: High Output Mode (maximum light output) and High Efficiency Mode (good light output with high efficiency)"

If one wanted to operate the LX7s at low power to save electricity use (Fish Only Tank...but want good lights for possible future coral use as well as control of sunrise, sunset, colors, etc afforded by LED fixtures), I suppose that the HO mode would not be selected? HO mode means high power usage mode?

In that case, to get the sharpness of the LED to show, perhaps the G4 would be a better selection?

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 12:10 PM   #133
mikeatjac
Registered Member

The LX7's was set to High Output mode, balancing was used. We got about a one hour tour. The member has been a Mitras owner from the 6100, 6200 and now the LX7. Very knowledgeable.

We did set it to the Coral lab settings.

I agree that the naked eye is not very Scientific but without a lot of time it may be the best way to judge. I am sure both will grow colorful corals.

Unread 03/05/2017, 12:13 PM   #134
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalAngel View Post
Since this Thread is about the Mitras LX7, I do see the mention of the HO & HE modes:

"You can choose between 2 operation modes: High Output Mode (maximum light output) and High Efficiency Mode (good light output with high efficiency)"

If one wanted to operate the LX7s at low power to save electricity use (Fish Only Tank...but want good lights for possible future coral use as well as control of sunrise, sunset, colors, etc afforded by LED fixtures), I suppose that the HO mode would not be selected? HO mode means high power usage mode?

In that case, to get the sharpness of the LED to show, perhaps the G4 would be a better selection?

I run mine over my nano reef in High Efficiency mode.
You are correct, High Output is just more powerful.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 03:06 PM   #135
rodneyri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSD View Post

Flawed logic. Doesn't matter what your eyes like. It's what the corals like. JMO
Pretty sure there are many Radion tanks with full healthy corals...so I dare say the corals like it too.

Im keen to see how these turn out, keeping a watchful eye on slief's tank as it transitions from the Kessils. BTW any updates on the changover and tank pics with just the Mitras on?

Unread 03/05/2017, 03:29 PM   #136
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
Pretty sure there are many Radion tanks with full healthy corals...so I dare say the corals like it too.

Im keen to see how these turn out, keeping a watchful eye on slief's tank as it transitions from the Kessils. BTW any updates on the changover and tank pics with just the Mitras on?
My tank is pretty much 100% Mitras now. I could probably use one or two more given the way my aquascape is laid out but the tank is doing great under the 6 Mitras. My SPS's growth didn't slow down at all. I was just this morning looking at a video I shot at the end of Jan and was walking around my tank comparing the SPS between then and now and my corals have been growing at nearly an inch a month but the coloration is much improved. Frags that I added end of Jan have spread over the epoxy and are showing great growth too. These lights grow corals great. Same can be said about the Radions. One thing is for certain though. Had I chosen Radions over the Mitras, I would have definitely needed more fixtures which comes at a serious cost. Personally, I love the LX7's as do my corals and I am very happy with my choice. The corals in my frag tank under the LX7's have also shown great growth despite that light have the intensity turned way down compared to the main display. I will likely do an update video on my tank later today which will be posted to my build thread. I will also share it here once it's uploaded. There is also a new LA Fish Guys Tech Talk video that was filmed when I installed the lights. It goes into great detain on the lights, setup as well as the install on my tank. Jim should have that uploaded in the next several days.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/05/2017, 03:37 PM   #137
FPSD
Registered Member

Quote:

Meant par wise also. What looks good to us maybe not what the corals need. I have a few friends with radions and yes they grow coral fine. But, they need more then ecotech claims to reduce shadowing. Also they cannot overdrive the led's which maybe very helpful. It's funny because the phillips coral care grows coral like t5 according to UK peeps. Looks boring to us. Just throwing it out there that corals may like that better. Maybe I am wrong though but it seems that it's going that way. Guess we will see.

FPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 05:39 PM   #138
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Here is a video update/walkaround on the tank. It was shot today. Best if viewed in HD! This was shot with a Sony A6500. I did some white balancing on the camera but still, the video does no justice in terms of the full coloration of the tank and corals. This is with just the Mitras.

Unread 03/05/2017, 05:54 PM   #139
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Here is a video update/walkaround on the tank. It was shot today. Best if viewed in HD! This was shot with a Sony A6500. I did some white balancing on the camera but still, the video does no justice in terms of the full coloration of the tank and corals. This is with just the Mitras.

That looks really good Scott. Hopefully I can dial mine in. Are you using HE or HO?

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 05:55 PM   #140
rodneyri
Registered Member

Looks amazing thanks for posting, nice tank and shows the lights nicely too.

Unread 03/05/2017, 06:01 PM   #141
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
That looks really good Scott. Hopefully I can dial mine in. Are you using HE or HO?

Thanks! I am in HO mode. I uploaded my Composer project to the GHL Project website. Not sure if it's been updated on their site yet.

Quote:
Looks amazing thanks for posting, nice tank and shows the lights nicely too.
Thank you very much! To say I am pleased would be an understatement.

Last edited by slief; 03/05/2017 at 06:20 PM.
Unread 03/05/2017, 06:43 PM   #142
d2mini
Registered Member

Incredible, as usual Scott!
Your tank definitely seems to be enjoying those Mitras.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 03/06/2017, 03:03 PM   #143
Dugless
Registered Member

Dennis, how is SPS underside polyp extension in comparison to the G4Pros?

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 03:21 PM   #144
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
Dennis, how is SPS underside polyp extension in comparison to the G4Pros?
Can't really say.
I don't have a lot of sps in the nano and both tanks are mostly frags/small colonies.

Unread 03/07/2017, 01:25 PM   #145
mako61
Registered Member

Talking

Finally puller the trigger on the Mitras. I went over the pro and cons for me of Kessil, Radion, Mitras.

Product Quantity Price
Mitras LX 7206, black, USA/CND
2 $1499.80
Subtotal: $1499.80
Shipping: $15.00 via UPS Ground (Excl. Hawaii and Alaska)
Payment Method: PayPal
Total: $1514.80

I blame this on Slief

I may need 1 more in future, but i think im good for a bit. (60x22x22)

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 01:32 PM   #146
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Finally puller the trigger on the Mitras. I went over the pro and cons for me of Kessil, Radion, Mitras.

Product Quantity Price
Mitras LX 7206, black, USA/CND
2 $1499.80
Subtotal: $1499.80
Shipping: $15.00 via UPS Ground (Excl. Hawaii and Alaska)
Payment Method: PayPal
Total: $1514.80

I blame this on Slief

I may need 1 more in future, but i think im good for a bit. (60x22x22)
Welcome to the club! I think you will love them!

Unread 03/07/2017, 04:22 PM   #147
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
IMO the difference is due to the number of pucks. The LX7 pucks wash each other out. More of a T5 look. However we all agreed that the G4 made the tank look more "alive".
I did not see a disco effect with either.
Which is better, only time will tell.
Can you describe what you mean by "looks more alive"?

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 04:56 PM   #148
Dugless
Registered Member

Assuming the LEDs within each color channel are very similar in both units (Ecotech is rather generic in listing what brands are used), it appears that the LX7 outnumbers the G4Pro in every area except for the Ultra Violet channel. I wonder if this is giving that extra pop described in the previous posts?

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 05:27 PM   #149
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
Assuming the LEDs within each color channel are very similar in both units (Ecotech is rather generic in listing what brands are used), it appears that the LX7 outnumbers the G4Pro in every area except for the Ultra Violet channel. I wonder if this is giving that extra pop described in the previous posts?
If that were the case, the difference would be easily made up for by increasing the intensity of the Mitras UV channel. I am of the opinion that too much UV spectrum isn't needed nor idea. I only run my at 30% max. It does add a faint amount of glow but it's barely noticeable. I still can't help but wonder if some additional tuning on the Mitras could have made them virtually indistinguishable in terms of the look. I tend to think it may have been one of the white channels that would have been lower on the Mitras compared to the Radion but without having been there or being able to see the settings for each fixture, all that can be done is guesswork.

That said, the Mitras will still have better spread and less shadowing due to the 6 clusters as opposed to 2.

Last edited by slief; 03/07/2017 at 05:44 PM.
Unread 03/07/2017, 06:06 PM   #150
mako61
Registered Member

This is how I decided between G4 and LX7 before I dropped my cash...

Kinda in order of importance to me

LX7 wins
6 smaller pucks vs 2 larger pucks
fan is on top of lx7
cost per led is 30% lower on lx7 <11$ vs >15$

G4 wins / Lx7 negatives
Mounting is harder for Lx7 ( for me )
Windows only setup / no apex connection for Lx7
Programming seems a little harder

Unknown:
I like the not found in nature looks G4s can produce. Not sure Lx7s can do that as well.
I worry about side glare on the G4, as the leds are not recessed very much.
Every led light I have even seen live has disco to me. I have seen either of these except on video, but i think the Lx7 has the best chance of not having this for me.

Lx7 negatives are mostly in the beginning once setup they dont matter as much So that gave the win to Lx7s. I think both lights are great and it was a hard choice. I dont think there is bad choice both are great gear. My options may change after I get the Lx7s, but Im pretty sure I will like them.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote