Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2010, 02:04 PM   #1
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Stuns' Reef

It's been a long ride, and will take a while to get where I want, but I figure it's time for a build thread. I ordered this AGE tank in October of '08 and took delivery February '09. Set it up and started the stocking process, then received a promotion at work early summer '09 that involved a ton of travel. I sold the AGE to a local reefer buddy and purchased an ELOS Mini which I transferred all my livestock over to, and loved that little tank dearly. Maintenance was an absolute breeze and it looked great, but I still referred to it as my "shoebox", and obviously couldn't fit much into it. In early October '09 I started conversing with a vendor about a gorgeous little (3.75") Apolemichthys arcuatus (Bandit Angelfish) he had received, and ended up purchasing him. Picked him up from Fed Ex the first week of November, and immediately knew I would want a larger tank for him sooner than later. At this time the AGE was still sitting in my room, as the purchaser had moved into an apartment that was borderline "pushin' it" regarding keeping that size tank, so I thought, "what the hell, I've already got a big tank for him!" So it began... again...

Aquarium: 183 gallon AGE rimless - 48"L x 36"W x 24.5"H - 1/2" Starphire front and sides - 1" SCH 80 PVC bottom

SCH 80 PVC sheet cut for sump "deck" and back panel to mount equipment:

Those pics were all from the first time I had it running, these couple show the new goodies underneath. I had an ATB Medium with Airstar that I purchased in October of '08, but sold it along with two MP40s when I broke the aquarium down. I purchased a SWC Mini S Cone through Premium Aquatics off eBay for an unbelievable price once I knew the AGE was going back up, and I must say I'm very happy with it so far. This was right after livestock transfer, pre wire clean up and coral re-mounting!

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 02:05 PM   #2
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Here are a few (horrid cell phone) pics of the ELOS Mini prior to breaking it down:

This is the true reason for the AGE going back up, and she will have some awesome friends to join her soon too:

Current other tank mate, Serranocirrhitus latus:

QT tank ready and waiting:

Unread 03/05/2010, 02:06 PM   #3
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

beauty in motion:

Unread 03/05/2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Sardaukar
Premium Member

Very nice! AGE tanks are works of art and you have a fish to match. I don't think I would get a wink of sleep with a beauty like that in an open top tank though haha. What are your coral and fish stocking plans? Gonna continue with the non-photosynthetic theme?

Unread 03/05/2010, 04:30 PM   #5
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Very nice, Austin Curious minds want to know. What else are you planning or have ready in terms of fish?

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 04:52 PM   #6
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Thanks guys!

AGE makes a very nice tank! One thing I thought about, but didn't realize how nice it really was going to be, was the weight of the tank. Due to it having a PVC bottom me and one friend carried this guy. Not a huge deal to some, but I know I'll be moving in the next couple years and that's one nice feature

On that same moving note, I have lots of fishy friends I would absolutely love to keep in here, but we all know how "fun" moving a tank can be, so I'll be holding of really stocking this guy until the move happens. Right now, I know that the bandit will be getting a mate, and potentially another Pomacanthidae friend, along with some anthias.

Corals will likely remain in the non-photosynthetic realm, although I have had some pull towards their shallow(er) counterparts as of late. At one time I was a colored stick fiend, but I don't believe I'll venture much back into them, I'm a sucker for "flowy" coral

BTW, there is a top on the tank, and QT tank. I think if a reefer likes their fish, a top is an absolute must no matter what kind of tank. All fish can and will jump in certain situations, and to me it's such a no-brainer to just put a top on and prevent that risk. However, it's not seen in pics, during maintenance, or when people come over to check out the tank

Unread 03/05/2010, 08:45 PM   #7
roktsintst
Registered Member

Awesome!!!

Im so glad to see you started a build thread as i'll be following it closely!!!

When is your other bandit scheduled to arrive???

Current Tank Info: 300 AGE Starfire SPS Reef*75g frag tank lit w/ T5's* Deltec 902*ACIII*4 400 Radium's*4-160 vho's*GEO 818 CA RX*ReefTek Kalk RX*Dart Return on manifold to a wavy sea*57 watt uv*HammerHead w/ OceansMotion
roktsintst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Trademark
Registered Member

That angel is beautiful

Trademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 09:04 PM   #9
the_rider
Registered Member

Wow austin !!

I was looking around for your build thread and couldn't find it ... Now i know why :P

What are you gonna use for water flow ? I think I see some SEIO ? Are you gonna keep that ? And your bandit is a real beauty !!

Alex B

Marinetech 3200 GPH
Deltec SC2560
Tunze 2x6105, 2x6055
2xKoralia 4 (In sump)
Profilux III
ATI Sunpower 6x54W + BLAU 6x54W

FRAG :
Miracles Custom Rimless (24x24x12)
Illumagic M-60S
Koralia 4

Live:
Fish :One Spot Foxface, CBB, Trio of Royal Gramma, Borbonius Anthias, Multicolor Angel, Multifasciatus Angel, Semi-Picasso Pair
the_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Bax
Premium Member

Yes! That's a beautiful angel and tank! I love these AGE tanks.

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Haffs09
Registered Member

Nice setup! Bandits are absolutely beautiful! I was fortunate to see several of them this past September while divining in Kauai. They are gorgeous!

Haffs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Very nice! You have alot more reserve than I. Nice setup, I love bandits but i dont want to commit to cooler water though i run mine around 76 degrees.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 07:55 AM   #13
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Very nice Austin. You will need more rocks than that when you start adding sticks

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 08:40 AM   #14
amore169
Registered Member

Very nice, awesome Bandido!!

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 08:22 PM   #15
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Thanks everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roktsintst View Post
When is your other bandit scheduled to arrive???
He should be collected in the next couple weeks, then he'll be QT'd for several weeks before shipping to me. Once I get him he'll relax/acclimate to my care in QT for a few more weeks, then he'll meet his spouse

I figured it was about time I started a thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rider View Post
What are you gonna use for water flow ? I think I see some SEIO ? Are you gonna keep that ?
Thanks Alex, glad you found the thread

Right now I have an Eheim 1262 for my return that flows through the chiller then up to the tank. I might upgrade to an ATB Flowstar if I end up feeding reactors with it. In tank there are two modded MJ900s right now. When I first set up the tank I had two Vortech MP40s that I never had trouble with. One friend of mine had a horrific experience with them not long ago, so I don't know if I'll be going with VT's again, but I will switch out the MJs with either Tunzes or VTs, either will be on battery back-ups as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creetin View Post
Very nice! You have alot more reserve than I. Nice setup, I love bandits but i dont want to commit to cooler water though i run mine around 76 degrees.
Thanks Alex! Right now I'm running 68-70 degrees F, but the chiller has never kicked on yet. I'm sure it will as we start to approach the summer months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
Very nice Austin. You will need more rocks than that when you start adding sticks
Thanks Mark!

I have plenty more rocks if necessary, we'll see about sticks

I'll have to get some new shots here soon, all the coral was remounted a while back and looks much better. I'm no Poletti though, so you guys will have to bare with crappy pics until I can get Junior over here or Poletti gets in his Jeep and takes a little road trip!

Unread 03/24/2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Jacob D
Registered Member

Awesome tank, and of course, nice fish choices

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 01:17 PM   #17
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Thanks Jacob!

No new pics yet, but soon! Expect (new) fish in the next month... not an angel - she's still in the ocean Hoping to see her in my QT in May.

Last edited by stunreefer; 03/24/2010 at 01:22 PM.
Unread 03/24/2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Ian
I <3 Corals!

glad to see the big tank up and running again Austin

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 01:34 PM   #19
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Congrats, love the bandit. Looking forward to your fish selection.

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Leonardo_
TRC

Somehow I missed this thread... Very nice setup Austin. Like many said, the Apolemichthys arcuatus is beautiful. Maybe the most beautiful fish in the trade I think

Leonardo

Unread 03/24/2010, 02:37 PM   #21
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
glad to see the big tank up and running again Austin
Me too man, me too! The Mini was awesome, but it was VERY Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post
Congrats, love the bandit. Looking forward to your fish selection.
Thanks, me too Dan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_ View Post
Somehow I missed this thread... Very nice setup Austin. Like many said, the Apolemichthys arcuatus is beautiful.
Thanks Leo! Not much to see yet, but in due time my friend! I agree, the A. arcuatus are truly gorgeous!

Placed an order with Premium Aquatics this morning for some goodies, some of which were out of stock Nothing cool, but necessities and was hoping to have it Friday. Oh, I did get the new "magnetic" algae clip by Julian (TLF) though... stupid thing was $16! Better than dealing with suction cups or reaching for a rock with a rubberband on it though! The bandit will tug the rock around the entire aquarium, and he pulls the suction cups right off.

Unread 03/24/2010, 02:46 PM   #22
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
Placed an order with Premium Aquatics this morning for some goodies, some of which were out of stock Nothing cool, but necessities and was hoping to have it Friday. Oh, I did get the new "magnetic" algae clip by Julian (TLF) though... stupid thing was $16! Better than dealing with suction cups or reaching for a rock with a rubberband on it though! The bandit will tug the rock around the entire aquarium, and he pulls the suction cups right off.
I hope its been improved as the seam used to leak over time. Your best bet is to remove it after feeding just to be safe

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/24/2010, 04:26 PM   #23
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
I hope its been improved as the seam used to leak over time. Your best bet is to remove it after feeding just to be safe
Really? Crap, that's not good! I remove them after feeding anyways, but still... Is this the "new" one you're referring to Mark? I watched for them to bring these in and it's the first time I've seen them there.

Here it is: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/mer...ode=targetfeed

If that's the one I'll likely remove it from my order before it ships

Unread 03/24/2010, 04:32 PM   #24
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Thats a new one so let me know how it goes. I've recently noticed that my hammerfloat does not float anymore. That can't be a good thing

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 03/25/2010, 07:19 AM   #25
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Phew, good to know. Will keep you posted!

I think I'm actually going to alter my order to incllude a light as well... yes, you read that right, a light!!!