Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2012, 06:10 AM   #2576
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsensor View Post
I may have missed this in here already, but tapatalk won't let me do a search. Any way, what is the best way to repair a crack. I have a new sump that got knocked over (I wont go into that) and now has a couple cracks. None of them go completely through and the largest is roughly 1.5". Can I seal them using weldon or would I need to patch them?

Thanks for any help
First step is to stop the crack - patching over the top of it may not stop it. Drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Then laminate a piece of acrylic on each side of the affected area. This is where WO16 comes in useful IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivram View Post
I'd like to make some cylinders come to a cone or point. What would be the best way to achieve this? Can I heat and form the tube? Or would I be better off forming a flat piece of acrylic?
Buy acrylic cylinder. Both of the methods you mentioned will be darn near impossible to accomplish and you're waste a ton of effort and end up buying it anyways IMO

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 06:43 AM   #2577
nivram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post

Buy acrylic cylinder. Both of the methods you mentioned will be darn near impossible to accomplish and you're waste a ton of effort and end up buying it anyways IMO
Thank you. I already have the acrylic cylinder. What would be the best method to have or form a funnel at the end? My goal is to thread a valve at the end of the pointed end.

Another idea was to cut an angle on the tube and then attach a small sheet of acrylic to to it.

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 08:41 AM   #2578
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

nivram, what are you trying to make?

Unread 03/28/2012, 11:55 AM   #2579
vanzea
Registered Member

Im sure it has been covered however I cant seem to find it. Looking for what is the best, or what people have used successfully with table saw blades. I am looking for a 10in blade. If you could direct me to which name brand and type that would be great thank you

Current Tank Info: 30 gal reef tank, 90gal reef-140 gal system
vanzea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 12:07 PM   #2580
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Diablo I think 80 tooth blade at Home Depot, there's one that specifically calls out that it's for plastics, about $80

Unread 03/28/2012, 12:10 PM   #2581
vanzea
Registered Member

excellent...thank you

Current Tank Info: 30 gal reef tank, 90gal reef-140 gal system
vanzea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 12:22 PM   #2582
adambowersva
Registered Member

This is the blade that I use and it works great...is the same 80 tooth blade Floyd mentioned. Its labeled as an "Ultra Finish" blade and not specifically geared to plastics.

Best part though is its cheaper...$49.99

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

I also use basically the same blade on a 7 1/4" circular saw, however its a 60-tooth and works great.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

That one is only $19.99 and gives me absolutely no issues...even on a $50 circular saw. Case in point...recently on the 85gal tank pictured previously the customer changed their mind on the tank height mid-build...reducing it from 24 to 21 inches. I could have denied them as all 4 walls were already welded together, but I obliged them. Using that $20 blad and a $50 circular saw I was able to lop 3 inches off the tank, reroute the edges and move onto welding on the top.

adambowersva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 02:36 PM   #2583
pico-reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambowersva View Post
Pico,

In regards to your bubbles I would likely say they were for the most part a result of a minimal "fillet" as the welds cured thereby resulting in a little bit of air getting sucked into the seams. The one running up the corner looks as if the builder (not sure if you built or not) may have actually blown a bit of air into the seam through the needle inadvertently.

As for the pressure due to the length...even though this length would cause some deflection the actual water column pressure is minimal as it's determined by the depth of the water...not the length.

Out of curiosity is the tank rimless? Or is there a eurobrace? In either regard, as Floyd said...absolutely nothing to worry about. With a eurobrace that tank could have been built with 1/4" acrylic and been perfectly fine so you are quite comfortably overbuilt imho...unless you are rimless in which case you are speced out about right...but still fine.

I had the tank built by advanced acryics, yes, it is rimless.

pico-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 02:52 PM   #2584
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I speak from a position of more experience than your average DIY hobbyist, but less than that of most tank fabricators.

In general I would say what I said before, those seams are probably fine. But since this tank came from a fabricator I would have to say it's not the highest quality job. Personally I wouldn't have let that tank go out the door looking like that without offering a discount. A production/custom tank should, IMO, have darn near perfect seams, maybe the unavoidable bubble or two, but nothing like what you have my friend.

But that's me. I'm like James said once, I pull my hair out over one little bubble. The reality is that acrylic is very strong so it's probably fine. I read here and there about Advanced Acrylics and the guy doing good work but not having good customer service. Mainly it was things like communication and not meeting deadlines very well.

Just my 2c.

Unread 03/28/2012, 03:09 PM   #2585
pico-reefer
Registered Member

Yeah, this is my 4th tank from him actually, all the others have been good, with the occasional bubble or 2, He's always been good with communication, shipping ect. I've reccomended him to bunch of people. But i've sent him pictures and asked a few questions, and all I got was "its fine". which kind of disappoints me. I've literally just installed brand new laminate floors 2 days ago, and I don't trust this tank. I'd like to set it up and enjoy it, but I think i'm always going to have the worry of it failing. Not worth putting all my money and time into it, just to see it either fail, or start to get worse, id rather spend the money now on a new tank, done right, and not have to worry about it. I'm not sure on what to do.

pico-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 03:13 PM   #2586
nivram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
nivram, what are you trying to make?
Just a small brine shrimp hatcher that I can hang on the side of my sump.

I already have some 3" diameter tube and figured this would be a good excuse to use it.

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 04:01 PM   #2587
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico-reefer View Post
Yeah, this is my 4th tank from him actually, all the others have been good, with the occasional bubble or 2, He's always been good with communication, shipping ect. I've reccomended him to bunch of people. But i've sent him pictures and asked a few questions, and all I got was "its fine". which kind of disappoints me. I've literally just installed brand new laminate floors 2 days ago, and I don't trust this tank. I'd like to set it up and enjoy it, but I think i'm always going to have the worry of it failing. Not worth putting all my money and time into it, just to see it either fail, or start to get worse, id rather spend the money now on a new tank, done right, and not have to worry about it. I'm not sure on what to do.
I really wouldn't worry about the bubbles.

It looks like he also did quite a large corner round. We had a frag fest last weekend and one of the guys had 2 tanks made out of 3/8" with the corners really rounded like this, one had a corner repaired with weldon, the other with packing tape, and he had a 3rd tank that was busted an not there. One tank at MACNA had to be repaired because the corner cracked out (but it was dropped). IMO putting that huge roundover on the corner creates a weak area, even though it looks real nice. I guess if you don't move it a lot like frag sellers do, no problem.

So not to make you more nervous, just saying what I've seen. I still agree that if you set it up on a flat surface and you aren't moving it around a lot, you're going to be fine. If you do start to see problems, it will be a slow process not all at once - not with material that thick.

Unread 03/28/2012, 08:47 PM   #2588
LockeOak
Registered Member

Thanks Floyd and Adam for the reassurance.

LockeOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 09:44 PM   #2589
jgsensor
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice

jgsensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 05:44 PM   #2590
dark8nge1
Registered Member

If I am using 1" acrylic what is the maximum span I can go without bracing?

dark8nge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 08:50 AM   #2591
dark8nge1
Registered Member

Also I only plan on making the tank 18" tall

dark8nge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 10:11 AM   #2592
shaggss
Registered Member

Hi all

Just looking for some advise......

I have a large water container made from acrylic that I will use to store RODI water in. It has been made now for over two weeks, I have thoroughly washed it with warm soapy water, then vinegar and more washes with just warm water. But there is still a glue smell? Is it ok to start storing water in it? Unfortunately I am not sure what glue was used.

Thanks to all I advance!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 10:28 AM   #2593
DanK13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark8nge1 View Post
If I am using 1" acrylic what is the maximum span I can go without bracing?
Always brace acrylic no matter the size. Stress on seams pulls them apart causing crazing and/or failure over time. Vertical seam issues are a giant PITA to repair that involves tearing the tank down and setting the bad seam vertically in order to weld it back together (which doesn't always work). Just brace it and increase the life without worries

Current Tank Info: Big
DanK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 06:08 PM   #2594
sean04
Registered Member

When I'm gluing two pieces together, if I'm getting a pool on the opposite side when using the pins method, I am using too much solvent?

sean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 07:17 PM   #2595
gods child
Registered Member

Quick question acrylic to gel coat on a tank leaking what can i use to fix this

gods child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 08:06 PM   #2596
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
When I'm gluing two pieces together, if I'm getting a pool on the opposite side when using the pins method, I am using too much solvent?
Possibly your pins are too big or you're squeezing too hard. I occasionally get a pool like you're talking about but usually it's because the bead is not running so I squeeze harder and dont' move, that's what causes it.

Glue on foam and before putting pins in check to see if there are any large gaps and shim those before even pinning. Then pin and shim as needed to keep all the pins snug before fillling the joint. Keep the needle moving and solvent flowing, sometimes it just takes practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods child View Post
Quick question acrylic to gel coat on a tank leaking what can i use to fix this
I'm lost what are you talking about?

Unread 04/01/2012, 10:14 PM   #2597
sean04
Registered Member

Thanks Floyd,

I'll try using smaller wires. Also another issue I was having was when the needle would go over the pins some of the pins gets knocked out or moved.
Any suggestions?

Btw, I'm doing these on scrap pieces to get some practice.

sean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 10:19 PM   #2598
mudsticker
Registered Member

acrylic thickness question

i am thinking of building a 36"x36"x24" tank..

just like to know the recommended thickness will have a full top with panels cut out for access, just like to price out the difference between glass and plastic

thanks

chris

mudsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2012, 10:47 PM   #2599
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

I use 28 gauge wire from home depot. if the pins move and fall out then your joint isn't tight enough. that's where wood shims come in. I use packs of cedar shingles from Menards and break them up. I pin the joint and put the shims in on the loose pins, that usually loosens other pins so you have to go around a few times and check them all, every one of them should be snug enough so that you can't tug on them lightly and pull them out. Then I blow the whole joint with canned air which will also reveal loose pins

you can see a few here.

Unread 04/02/2012, 06:47 AM   #2600
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
Hi all

Just looking for some advise......

I have a large water container made from acrylic that I will use to store RODI water in. It has been made now for over two weeks, I have thoroughly washed it with warm soapy water, then vinegar and more washes with just warm water. But there is still a glue smell? Is it ok to start storing water in it? Unfortunately I am not sure what glue was used.

Thanks to all I advance!
Just going to give this a friendly bump :-)

Thanks for any help!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote