crabbypatty
Registered Member

blue killer

Right! no kidding....

crabbypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 10:14 AM   #77
shovel
Registered Member

I meant when the octopuss, is hunting the pepermint shrimp I Just put in the tank. paitently he stalks, sorta just lies in wait up on o rck or wall then whoosh. after I read what i wrote it confuse me

shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2009, 11:21 PM   #78
crabbypatty
Registered Member

ooh

got it. have you ever put a fish in their? I put a snail in , he has not eaten it yet, they say they will..i thought mine would of died by now. its gonna live for ever....

Unread 06/17/2009, 04:37 AM   #79
gem_nut85
Registered Member

i would be more concerned that the bite of the blue ringed is painless! you never feel it until you are sick. With most venomus creatures you stabbed, punctured or bitten and it is very painful, the pain tells you to immediately get treatment, no pain you might delay to get help and end up dead or very sick sitting at home with no clue

No one but me

Current Tank Info: well established 46 bow,and all the creature in it!
gem_nut85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 12:16 AM   #80
crabbypatty
Registered Member

michigan man

Rochester ,I may need your help. not too far away,I lost him! water ugly wondering if this baby power head suck him up,I doubt it. but water dirty? I have many open tanks around the octo tank averaging 50 to a 100 each. I cant stick my hand in their till i know. I'd be fine with it if he died. How will I know if he died until I find remains. Im screwed.

ps for last poster if your concerned about the bight means you are considering sticking your hand in their. you never ever stick your hand in their it could kill you period.

except for me I used to pet mine........

Unread 06/28/2009, 12:32 AM   #81
crabbypatty
Registered Member

Is their anyone that has or had a octopus, that can advise at all on this situation . have you seen or experienced an octo crawling to another tank. i dont care if you read about it, has anyone have any experience with this situation. Thanks ahead of time..

Unread 06/28/2009, 06:53 AM   #82
Thales
Registered Member

Power heads can suck up octos. Did you not have the tank covered?

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 06:53 AM   #83
Thales
Registered Member

Power heads can suck up octos. Did you not have the tank covered?

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2009, 02:42 PM   #84
crabbypatty
Registered Member

found it

found it your right tiny little power head got em, my tank was a complete jail except one hole in the center top I feed through, and I would cover that with tape with holes just in case I will post all my picks. soon..

Unread 07/01/2009, 11:44 AM   #85
Fearlessmoto
Registered Member

What kind of maniac would sell a blue ring octopus, i would have put it in a tank with a heavy cover and waited for it to die of old age, (which with most cephalapods doesnt take long anyway).
I dont understand how any respectable shop owner would risk a customers life with something like that or a stonefish.

Fearlessmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2009, 08:49 PM   #86
shovel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crabbypatty
Is their anyone that has or had a octopus, that can advise at all on this situation . have you seen or experienced an octo crawling to another tank. i dont care if you read about it, has anyone have any experience with this situation. Thanks ahead of time..
not my self but it the first few pages of this thread, there is a link to a story about octopuss being known escape artists leaving one tank crawling across the floor up the stand into the other tank eating whatever is in there then returing to there "own" tank. As for not finding him I would put a carbon filter on his tank to clean it up then scoop with a net, most likely the power head got him!

Unread 07/01/2009, 08:53 PM   #87
shovel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fearlessmoto
What kind of maniac would sell a blue ring octopus, i would have put it in a tank with a heavy cover and waited for it to die of old age, (which with most cephalapods doesnt take long anyway).
I dont understand how any respectable shop owner would risk a customers life with something like that or a stonefish.
Hmmmm. Simple I wanted one and he had one shipped in that week. What is disrespectable about selling a customer something that is leagal? How many people are killed by car wrecks a year? I don't see you on youre soap box in front of a car dealer ship!

Unread 07/06/2009, 09:44 PM   #88
crabbypatty
Registered Member

give them what they want

Give the customer what they want. you don't ever see them in a shop . the market dictates what to sell threw supply and demand.

No one is crazy just cause you don't understand. My friend bought a python for his kids, im like your nuts. but thats what they did. these shops are built on having animals no one could keep twenty years ago. Including saltwater animals. Many fish died cause we all did not have the education to raise 99 % of them . Now it is completely different due to the pioneers who bought and tried to raise them, which brought more trial and error to the industry. In turn gave us more survivor rate because of it.
But thats just me..

Unread 07/24/2009, 07:57 AM   #89
REEFBRONCO
Registered Member

local store in NJ

REEFBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2009, 05:36 PM   #90
Crustman
Registered Member

And I thought that Octopussy in James Bond was the only person that kept these. Silly me!

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef with 8 T-5's, ATI Blue Plus, Blue Special, KZ Fiji Purple, Vertex IN 100, phosphate and carbon reactor Coralife Turbo Sea Pump
Crustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2009, 06:32 PM   #91
shovel
Registered Member

looks swwet

Unread 08/04/2009, 09:36 PM   #92
crabbypatty
Registered Member

cool

awesome !

Unread 10/25/2009, 09:33 PM   #93
dwculp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
to harbor or sell any poisenous animal without proper documintation is illeagel fedral law. The reason being anti venom, and if said person who buys it decides to poisen people they can track the poisen back to the owner
Please provide a link or documentation for this federal law as I believe this is false. I used to keep snakes as a hobby, although I would never own a venomous snake and did not condone their keeping many other would keep very exotic and very venomous snakes. The laws varied by state and even by local municipality regarding venomous animals but there were no federal statutes.

Going strictly by your information Lion fish would qualify.

Current Tank Info: 10 years - Currently have a 100 FOWLR
dwculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 06:22 AM   #94
ginger7286
Registered Member

blue ring

okay, I feel sorry for the octopus. A creature this beautiful and deadly should never have been taken from the Ocean to begin with shame on the collector. Double shame on the LFS and triple shame on the purchaser. Why do some in this hobby have this need to perpetuate the collection of things that should never be collected? Hopefully someday, someway we will earn.

Current Tank Info: 125 Reef Tank, Precision Marine equipment with a live rock/sand filtration. 30G. Nano with 2 percs and a beautiful little Flaming Prawn Goby.
ginger7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 07:01 PM   #95
shovel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwculp View Post
Please provide a link or documentation for this federal law as I believe this is false. I used to keep snakes as a hobby, although I would never own a venomous snake and did not condone their keeping many other would keep very exotic and very venomous snakes. The laws varied by state and even by local municipality regarding venomous animals but there were no federal statutes.

Going strictly by your information Lion fish would qualify.
*EDIT*~dc

Last edited by dc; 10/26/2009 at 08:34 PM.
Unread 10/26/2009, 07:04 PM   #96
shovel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger7286 View Post
okay, I feel sorry for the octopus. A creature this beautiful and deadly should never have been taken from the Ocean to begin with shame on the collector. Double shame on the LFS and triple shame on the purchaser. Why do some in this hobby have this need to perpetuate the collection of things that should never be collected? Hopefully someday, someway we will earn.
Just because it is dangerous? Please with the exception of coral everything in your tank is better left on the reef. why is that fish grow smaller in captivity because it is not the optium enviroment!

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by dc; 10/26/2009 at 08:35 PM.
Unread 10/26/2009, 08:35 PM   #97
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Shovel, you need to step away from this thread if you can't take conversation you don't agree with.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 06:30 PM   #98
nanobuds
Registered Member

lol

Unread 12/26/2009, 06:34 PM   #99
MrMoses
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
Shovel, you need to step away from this thread if you can't take conversation you don't agree with.
Weird you say that, I didn't find that disrespectful at all.

MrMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2009, 06:35 PM   #100
MrMoses
Registered Member

I would get one of these after having experience with other octopus first.

MrMoses is offline   Reply With Quote