Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2009, 01:51 PM   #101
vangogh121
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoses View Post
Weird you say that, I didn't find that disrespectful at all.
Shovel was debating law and can't spell the city he lives in correctly....

It's Rochester Hills.

vangogh121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2009, 02:15 PM   #102
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

vangogh121,

I make typos all the time when I post. While it may look sloppy, I don't think it disqualifies me from participating in this forum.

As a point of law, one of the toxins covered under the Patriot Act enacted after 9-11was TTX, the major (and probably the only) toxin in Hapalochlaena venom. Since I commonly have dozens of blue-rings in my laboratory, I was concerned if I could legal import and maintain these animals. I contacted various regulatory agencies and was told that I did not have to register live blue-rings, but if I extracted the TTX from them, that would be covered by the legislation and I would have to report having the covered material. To my knowledge this is the only federal statute that applies to this issue UNLESS you acquire blue-rings for malicious purposes.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 10:11 PM   #103
mstrpln03
Registered Member

Legality of ownership is on a state by state basis. They are illegal to own here in NJ but are legal believe it or not in some states. I know this through a friend who services tanks in Hospital Poison Control Centers. He says they are very shy and will run away when he puts his hand in the tank. That said, there is no way these should be available for home aquariums anywhere.

Jerry

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon reef, sps, lps and softies, mated pair of false percs w/ host gbta. 90 gallon fowl, v tail grouper and snowflake moray. 20 Gallon quarantine tank. I will be setting up a 55 gallon mixed reef and a 30 gallon rimless cube, sps tank.
mstrpln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 10:19 PM   #104
mstrpln03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpony69 View Post
He is breaking the law just by having it in his possession without a permt.
This is a state by state law. They are illegal here in NJ but legal in other states.

Jerry

Current Tank Info: 45 gallon reef, sps, lps and softies, mated pair of false percs w/ host gbta. 90 gallon fowl, v tail grouper and snowflake moray. 20 Gallon quarantine tank. I will be setting up a 55 gallon mixed reef and a 30 gallon rimless cube, sps tank.
mstrpln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 08:23 AM   #105
Koshmar
The Hardy Mongolian Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrpln03 View Post
I know this through a friend who services tanks in Hospital Poison Control Centers. He says they are very shy and will run away when he puts his hand in the tank.
Why do they have them in poison control centers? I thought there was no antivenon for TTX?

Koshmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 12:45 PM   #106
MrThate
Registered Member

our lfs hooks me and my roommate up all the time cause he knows how we are about cephalopods, he put an order in for an octopus vulgaris for us, but they sent him a blue ring. He wound up just giving us the blue ring for free since he knows that we know all about them (more or less ha) plus he didnt want it escaping or biting someone. not something you want running around. our blue ring survived for....8 hours or so, then our cuttlefish saw it and ate it

MrThate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 08:20 AM   #107
Thales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrpln03 View Post
Legality of ownership is on a state by state basis. They are illegal to own here in NJ but are legal believe it or not in some states. I know this through a friend who services tanks in Hospital Poison Control Centers. He says they are very shy and will run away when he puts his hand in the tank. That said, there is no way these should be available for home aquariums anywhere.
Can you point us to that Law in NJ? I spent some time looking for it but came up empty. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef with a 180 remote sump • 250 gallon fish breeding system • 200 gallon cephalopod breeding system • 212,000 gallon reef tank at work
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2010, 08:50 PM   #108
sbwood007
Registered Member

I saw one the other day at a LFS here in So.California........ Did a double take but there it was.

sbwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2010, 06:12 PM   #109
nanafish
Premium Member

I saw one for sale on line. Was thinking of getting one. But I have cats that like to explore aquariums( even with lids/covers) and to have it shipped from California to Ohio - I would be concerned about its health even if it were overnighted.

Current Tank Info: 60g Reef Snowflake Clowns, Gobies etc.
nanafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 07:52 PM   #110
reefergeorge
Registered Member

You guys are freaking out about a octopus.
I have a local store that has vipers, rattle snakes, cobras, anything you want as long as you have the money, and in some cases a permit.
I personally wouldn't keep a blue ring for the fact that I have kids, but if someone wants to keep one, let them. It's their money, and life.

reefergeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2010, 09:41 PM   #111
Lmecher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafish View Post
I saw one for sale on line. Was thinking of getting one. But I have cats that like to explore aquariums( even with lids/covers) and to have it shipped from California to Ohio - I would be concerned about its health even if it were overnighted.

Your kidding really? I have 2 cats and 4 SW aquariums, they would never go near saltwater. The male is fascinated by my fiddler crabs. I had to put a secure cover on that tank. My octopus tank is very secure, only way he's getting out is if I forget to screw down the lid. My O. briareus came overnight from FL to IL, arrived in fine condition. I think it is the overall health of the animal that determines how it will handle shipping. I however do not advocate the keeping of bluerings. Too many things could go wrong and there are so many non-lethal species avaliable to hobbiests. It seems to me like it's a trophy thing, stupidity don't impress me much.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2010, 07:12 PM   #112
shovel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
Shovel, you need to step away from this thread if you can't take conversation you don't agree with.
I have tried to abide by the rules here at R.c. What is wrong with what I said? I just responded to his opinoin with my own, after he publicly shamed everybody in this hobby.

shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 12:16 AM   #113
Mustang Boy
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshmar View Post
Why do they have them in poison control centers? I thought there was no antivenon for TTX?
at one point there was no antivenom for any venomous snake all it takes is research to find one, so they may have ongoing research trying to come up with an antivenom.

also i find these guys very intriguing but i doubt(not gonna say wont) i would ever own one unless i have a ton of experience with octos and was sure i could make a bulletproof top that had no chance of it getting out and i had kept several other octopuses prior

Mustang Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2010, 07:43 PM   #114
tgcreef
Registered Member

So what are the care requirements for this animal?

tgcreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2010, 11:46 PM   #115
Xgame2k
Registered Member

And anyone have some good ideas to octo-proof a biocube 29?

Xgame2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2010, 11:08 PM   #116
crabbypatty
Registered Member

octo proof

I used packing tape to seal my tank around the edges and around pump cords coming out of the tank. i used clear packing tape ,it looked good and invisible.i had a hole in the top with tape over it to feed threw. it worked perfect .. when you get one your so paranoid about getting out and coming to get you in the middle of the night, but honestly it seemed so peaceful and content with being in the tank. the blue rings are really really cool it was worth it. i wouldnt have another one due to the paranoia of escape that comes with owning the fish,it kind of takes the fun out of owning it.
i hope the tape helps it worked for me and i felt safe.

crabbypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 01:06 PM   #117
ashtree68
Registered Member

The video that was posted a while back makes them look pretty small. Was it just a juvi or are they just that small?

Unread 05/06/2010, 01:10 PM   #118
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

They are that small.

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2010, 11:52 AM   #119
ashtree68
Registered Member

That's really cool, scary but cool.

Unread 06/08/2010, 08:33 PM   #120
Verge
Registered Member

Blue ringed octopus

Isn't there a chance that they aren't venomous in captiviy like poison dart frogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 09:28 AM   #121
Lmecher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Isn't there a chance that they aren't venomous in captiviy like poison dart frogs?

Not a single one

Unread 06/09/2010, 02:45 PM   #122
Verge
Registered Member

Blue ringed octopus

Doesn't the venom come from a bacteria, any idea where they get that? Maybe something they eat as juveniles and then they are carried on through life?

I'm just interested, I guess we dont really have the technology to find out yet.

Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 10:57 PM   #123
Lmecher
Registered Member

It is produced in their saliva and injected when they bite.

Unread 06/13/2010, 04:00 AM   #124
TeebD
Registered Member

They sure are pretty, but I don't think I want to risk it.

TeebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2010, 09:16 AM   #125
josh11551
Registered Member

why would you want something that could kill you??

josh11551 is offline   Reply With Quote