Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral Care
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2000, 01:24 PM   #1
spscoral
Registered Member

What is the exact difference between an lps coral and a spscoral.

Thanks

------------------
I want weird stuff for my reef.
Email me if you have any.

Unread 02/13/2000, 01:56 PM   #2
Doug1
30 and over club

Well to put it in a nutshell an LPS is a large polyp scleractinian(stony coral) like bubbles,elegance,trumpet,galaxy,flowerpot,etc
SPS are small polyp stony corals like Acropora, Seriatopora,Stylophora,pavona,Hydnophora,Porites,Pocillopora, etc
they are charactorized by prominent branching calcerous skeletons covered with very small polyps

------------------
Reef as though your life depended on it, yours does'nt but the sea's does.........Doug ReefCentral/ReefTank moderator

Unread 02/13/2000, 06:51 PM   #3
horge
Reefer

It's just a distinction created by the commercial aspect of this hobby, methinks. I like to imagine the distinguishing characteristic as the ability to ingest larger-than-planktonic morsels.

<Another factor in differentiating perhaps concerns propagation approaches. If you can just snap or hack off a frag and it's instantly viable, it's probably sps.>

Unread 02/14/2000, 07:20 AM   #4
rshimek
Moved On

Hi

Biologically, there is no difference. There is a complete gradient of polyp sizes from smallest to largest.

As Horge says this artificial distinction was probably started in the commercial ends of the hobby.

Cheers, Ron