Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2016, 11:58 PM   #26
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well...
Today I went shopping

I think I did good for $120 LOL

Needs a bit of TLC, but everything works including the power heads as well as the Aqueon 1200 pump which I originally intended to use as circulation pump for the sump.
PS:
Tank is another sacrificial unit for reclaiming glass for the Refugium.
Light is a 6 bulb T5 Fixture by Aquatic Life LF4-48. Works great... one set of blues stay on constantly though and requires a bit of investigating tho :P

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/23/2016 at 12:45 AM.
Audi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2016, 11:25 PM   #27
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well

She's ALMOST done...

As you can see the Refugium is 4" above the bottom of the sump. This way the heater can be laid down on the bottom of the sump without the worry of them floating up.
The Minimum water level is set by the last baffle in the sump which is 12" giving me volume of 45 Gallons and another 14 Gallons for the Refugium.
Total System Volume would be 59 Gallons on top of the 160 Gallon Display tank, which puts me where I wanted to originally be around the 200-220 Gallon mark.
Also added an LCD temperature "sticker" as a backup to the electronic sensors.

Added some "Euro" bracing to the refugium.

6 Lbs of crushed base rock isn't nearly enough... looks like it will take about 20Lbs to fill the reactor.

Skimmer will need to be raised about 3" in order to be at the "adequate" water level of 8 - 10". Stand is in the works...

The valve in this pic is acting as a restriction / bypass which will be feeding a "shower head" that will be placed above the live rock. This is bypass is in place in case the 3/4" drain cant keep up with the flow.

Spray bar can be seen at the front of the refugium and a Durso style drain at the rear.

Still got a bit of plumbing to do as you can see

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/24/2016 at 11:48 PM.
Unread 01/25/2016, 08:12 PM   #28
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Sump is up and running !!!
With the water operating level, top removed and doors open... I'm at a modest 45db!

Also ordered the relays for that T5 fixture, which should arrive tomorrow as well.

What can I say... I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park right now

Unread 01/30/2016, 04:20 PM   #29
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Yesterday night I placed 20 Lbs of crushed coral into the bottom of the refuge. Now on the hunt for some cheeto as no one around here seems to have any.

As you can see the water is still a bit cloudy, but this should clear up by tonight or tomorrow morning
Other than that did a water test, results below:

DATE: Saturday Jan 30th 2016
Salinity: 1.025
PH: ~8.4
KH: 90mg/L
PO4: 0.5
NH3: 0
NO3: 0
NO2: 0

Time to "taint" the water... Shrimp going in tonight

Unread 02/02/2016, 06:43 PM   #30
Jeremy837
Registered Member

did you get it the first time you did it transforming a tank to a sump or did it take time?

Jeremy837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2016, 08:56 PM   #31
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy837 View Post
did you get it the first time you did it transforming a tank to a sump or did it take time?
Depends on what your needs are...
I already had an idea what I wanted / needed so putting your thoughts on a piece of paper does help the project move along quicker.
Once everything is on paper and your "happy" then its time to go shopping for a suitable tank. The logical next step is after obtaining a tank is to make a mock up and see if everything lines up and creating mock dividers using cardboard and hot glue. once satisfied that everything "fits" and it meets your needs, then its time to move on to the actual build process.
Keep in mind that the above is a lot more time consuming than the build process as once you have the material ( glass ) cut there's no turning back ( I mean you could, but you'd be throwing money out the window unless you can still use the cut glass ) specially once the silicone sets.

Other than that its pretty simple and some basic prep needs to be done as in cleaning the glass with alcohol so the surface is grease / oil free ( from your hands and fingerprints ) and clean so the silicone can stick... Others may chime in and say that's not necessary but I did it anyway.

Unread 02/04/2016, 09:16 PM   #32
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Update
24Hrs after the initial shot above...

As can be seen, pretty much cleared up well and the skimmer is working good as well...

Here's a few quick shots of the "plumbing" as well...

I'm in the process of adding a second valve for "flow control" for the refuge...
Second valve will go inline here:

Will need to "shave" half an inch on each side of the valve as its too long to correctly fit.
Other than that I still need to have the filter sock pane drilled as I don't have an 4" hole saw and the return bulkhead pane needs to get drilled as well. Both go in this cavity on the far left of the sump...

Hopefully I can wrap all this up this weekend and set the tank on the stand finally !!

Unread 02/06/2016, 01:01 PM   #33
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well...

Today I got lucky
What are the chance of someone I ran into on a Local FB Group had a 4" diamond hole saw kicking around ??

Thanks Nick

One step closer now...
Last piece of the puzzle is the plate at the back that will support the return lines.
Also today I will drill the holes in the back of the stand for the feed and return lines as well as the electrical and 2 fans that will move the air in and out of the stand.

Will post more pics of the progress later on tonight.

Unread 02/15/2016, 11:36 PM   #34
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Time for an update

Finally had the Ammonia spike i been waiting for!
Lucky for this guy... a lot of people are tearing tanks down and I'm getting some nice live rock for next to nothing! The one guy that I came across has 100 Lbs of live rock and 200Lbs of live sand for $250 while the other has 80Lbs of mixed tonga, fiji and pukani for $100. AND... I was also able to score a Jebao DC12000 for $100

Recap:
65 Lbs chunk of base I already have
100 Lbs
80 Lbs of Fiji, Tonga, Pukani
200 Lbs of Live Sand
AND
DC12000

Tomorrow I gotta go and grab that 80 Lbs and next Monday when the other guy gets back in town I will grab the other 100lbs of it and the live sand.
A bit of work is involved, but nothing that cant be solved with a of elbow grease and dedication
Now, still gotta get that tank in ASAP and start plumbing !!!

Unread 02/16/2016, 12:03 PM   #35
Lilbitreefer
Registered Member

so I really like your sump design can you show how the water flows?

Lilbitreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 08:06 PM   #36
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Its simple yet a bit of a nightmare LOL

Water comes in at from the drains at the far left corner at the back of the sump.
From here it flows towards the front of it and through the filter sucks.
Water exist at the bottom through a single baffle into the skimmer chamber.
Water from here goes under the refuge ( which is raised off the bottom of the sump by 4" )and can go 2 ways...
1. On the left side of the fuge is pumped out using a 800GPH pump that feeds both the fuge and top of reactor 1 then overflows into reactor 2 from where it drains out into the pump chamber
2. Over the baffle into the pump chamber

Notes:
Baffle 1 is in place to set overall depth for filter sock chamber... the deeper the water the less noise.
Baffle 2 is to set depth for main chamber / skimmer compartment.
Reason for raising the refuge off the floor of the sump is simple... allow the placement of heaters and other devices without the worry of them floating up if the suction cup comes loose
None of these baffles affect refuge water level as water is being fed from here to fuge via dedicated pump.

Chaetomorpha will be placed in reactor #2 for natural nitrate reduction and buffer zone for copa pods...

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 02/16/2016 at 08:41 PM.
Unread 02/17/2016, 09:19 PM   #37
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

What an ordeal!!
Took 5 of us to get the tank in and in its place.

Now just gotta put the trim on...

Needs a good cleaning... badly!!

Better view of the overflow box configuration... Bean Animal with 2" drains and SIX 1" feeds.

And last but not least...

The $20 fixture that had the relay welded on... in the end it was a really easy fix

Unread 02/17/2016, 11:32 PM   #38
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

And let the plumbing begin

I'm short a few things, but I went ahead and made due with what I had on hand... and yes...
I installed the bulkheads upside down for ease of servicing or in case i want to change something up.

Again.. as you can see I opted to use unions on every "drop"...

Pipes are staggered because the drains, which will drop in between the 2 feeds.

In stand shot... Feed A and Feed B

Each feed will have its own dedicated DC12000.
These pumps will eventually going to be driven by my own driver/controller, which will employ a wavemaker function...

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 02/17/2016 at 11:47 PM.
Unread 02/17/2016, 11:55 PM   #39
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

And that's it for the night...
Materials used today:
8x 1" elbow
4x 1" bulkheads
4x 1" unions
2x 1" tee
2x 1" Slip to Thread ( 1" NPT )
2x 10' lengths of 1" pipe
And I'm almost out of glue 1/3 or less in can now.

Next step is the drains!
Shopping list:
- 1x 6' piece of 1" clear tubing
- 2x 1" barb by thread
- 4x 1" bulkhead
- 3x 2" bulkhead
- 3x 2" unions ( again... if anything gets stuck or plugged its easier to clean / unplug )
- 2x 10' 2" pipe
- 1x 2" Gate Valve ( this ain't gonna be cheap )
- 12 x 2" elbow
That's it for now... I guess, even though there's plenty more that can be added this is mostly the vital items to finish the plumbing

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 02/18/2016 at 12:14 AM.
Unread 02/27/2016, 08:33 AM   #40
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well...
Picked up another 100Lbs of rock on Thursday night as well as 200Lbs of live sand that I have to clean ( someone was shutting their down as they were moving and got too good of a deal to pass up )

Today on the agenda is aquascaping
Will follow up with pics later on...

Unread 02/28/2016, 09:12 AM   #41
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well here it is

A few obligatory side shots...

And this still isn't the final product as there's still plenty of rock to go in there!

And now for the "critters" that i was able to pick off the rock..

Sump is doing great so far as well...

Still need to finish up my drains, but cant as my bulkheads I ordered off Amazon haven't arrived yet so its a waiting game at this point...

Unread 03/04/2016, 04:35 PM   #42
mgoulding
Registered Member

Are those bristle worms?

mgoulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2016, 08:04 PM   #43
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Yup... almost 2 dozen lol

Unread 03/05/2016, 10:00 AM   #44
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

This is what was once on the live rock that is now in my tank... ranging from 2-3" to "bigger" ones ( around 8 - 10" )

Unread 03/14/2016, 12:15 AM   #45
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well... Time for a quick update

The Sump:
It has been successfully running for a while now and started to grow some algae in the refuge.

This guy has been in the sump for about a week now and seems to be doing very well. He was rescued from a tank shut down and he was a freebie and is rather large ( around 8" ). For now he's duties will be to keep the sump clean and algae free
On this front... There's only 1 failure point and that's the cheapy light that bit the dust. It was only a matter of time before those compacts died... but hopefully the ballasts will work with T5's as I'm planning a retrofit it :P

Main Display Tank:

Levels are settling even though the bulkheads that I've ordered from Amazon did not arrive yet, which leave me with the drains still not plumbed in!!
The water is being circulated with 2 power heads and stuck the heater in the tank as well. Levels have spiked and now back at 0 after 2 weeks of running !!

As any sensible mind would do... the clean up crew would slowly going to be assembled.
So after a short shopping spree today I added the following to the display tank:
4 Medium Sized Scarlet's

25 Small Blue Leg Hermits

And last but not least 4 of these guys...

and some of them came with some interesting hitchhikers:

Also had to replace a couple of tubes in the main fixture as the actinics were pretty much burnt out. Will probably add 25 more blue leg hermits again tomorrow and probably the first batch of GSP's.
Another item on the agenda is to finish up the aquascaping which is till not quite complete...

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 03/14/2016 at 12:20 AM.
Unread 03/15/2016, 06:48 AM   #46
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

You filled the tank before adding the drain bulkheads? That is brave! I don't think I could've done that.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 07:45 PM   #47
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerBioProf View Post
You filled the tank before adding the drain bulkheads? That is brave! I don't think I could've done that.
Temp is good and my levels are in check...
Me levels have peaked on day 4 and everything was off the deep end and since then dropped back down.
Water is being circulated by 2 power heads and I have been testing religiously every other day.

Last nights test revealed :
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphates - 0
Nitrite - 0
Temp 79

Bioload is very minimal since they are mostly clean up crew, but enough to create some waste to keep the biology rolling along. Also i have been observing lots of movement on the rocks...
Lots of amphipods and copapods on some of the live rocks and been noticing that they have been "migrating" to other areas of the tank

Unread 12/06/2016, 11:39 PM   #48
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Well...

Its been a while and way overdue for an Update !!!

Some of the main changes were in equipment:
- Protein Skimmer
The eShopps PSK200 pump ( Sicce ) kept on failing and after 3 rebuild kits the motor started to overheat. I finally had enough and got Reef Octopus Diablo DCS200.

- Calcium Reactor
Came across an used Vertex RX6 Duo for a price I couldn't refuse...

- Lights
Upgraded from the T5 to LED and seen a huge improvement in the tank.

Unread 12/06/2016, 11:47 PM   #49
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Next on the list is new power heads at these ones are starting to be a bit finicky.
Time to replace them before they crap out on me...

Been looking at a pair of Jebao/JECOD PP15 as replacements

Unread 12/10/2016, 01:28 PM   #50
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Levels update:
NO3 = 5
NH3 = 0.2
NH2 = 0
PO4 = 0.25

NO water changes, only RO top ups!!!