Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2018, 10:57 PM   #1
axthoxy
Registered Member

First Time 20 Gallon Tall Build

Hey Everyone

New to the Hobby. First Tank and first post. Just aquascaped and dry fit everything I purchased.

20 gal tall
Hydoe Koralia Nano 425
Eheim Jager 150W
Aquamaxx Nemolight 24-36" 36W
25# Aquamaxx Eco-Dry Live Rock
20# CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Sand

I am going to go purchase some RO/DI water tomorrow pour in the sand and water, get the cycle going.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

axthoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 11:53 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Hello & welcome Looks good, add the water & let the cycle begin

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 04:34 PM   #3
axthoxy
Registered Member

Did not buy water today, after going and looking at the price of containers and how much the water is per gallon decided to by an RO/DI unit. Will update once I get that up and running.

Unread 01/25/2018, 05:43 PM   #4
axthoxy
Registered Member

Got the tank filled a couple hours ago. Purchaced an RO Buddie + DI, it took almost 24 hours to make enough water to fill the tank. Redid the rockscape, added sand and filled the tank. Purchased some more equipment as well

Aqua Clear 50
Chemi-pure blue
Two Little Fishes Phosban
Polyfilter
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 (for a total of two)

Right now in the filter I'm running what came with the filter to clear the water up. When I start the cycle I'm planning on removing the carbon and keeping the lights off. Starting the cycle off with a shrimp.

Once again any advise or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated

Unread 01/25/2018, 09:40 PM   #5
axthoxy
Registered Member

Crystal clear water, shrimp is in there, wish me luck!

Unread 01/26/2018, 07:11 AM   #6
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

Hi! Smart move buying the ro/di unit, last thing you want to do is have to go buy water on a regular basis.

Only advice I have right now is to enjoy the little things with the tank, and stay in the now. Don't focus on getting that fish or coral you always wanted, instead get into the nuances of the cycle. Look forward to the green film algae, the pod explosion, your clean up crew etc.

Big thing that helped me when I started SW was going to a couple local reef club meetings and being invited to see some of their tanks. Seeing things actually running and being able to ask questions on the fly is really helpful. Have fun, your tank looks like it's off to a great start.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 11:23 AM   #7
axthoxy
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise Rjukan! I can't wait to have fish but I do not plan on buying any live stock for a least a 6 weeks. I want to sent up a quarantine system before I buy anything.

I have started a journal for Water Parameters. Right now I'm only recording Tempature, Salinity, Ammonia, and PH.

TEMP 77.6
SALT 1.024
Ammonia 0
PH 8

I plan on only testing those until I see ammonia spike, then start testing for Nitrite.

As for the reef club thing. I'm a cook so I usually for nights and weekends, so it is hard for me to participate in things like that, c'est la vie...

Is it normal for the water to go cloudy when cycling with a shrimp? I was assuming that since there is something rotting at the bottom of my tank it is probably going to get a little dirty. It never hurts to ask though.

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:20 AM   #8
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

I'm planning on starting up a reef system again soon too, it's been a while since I went through a cycle. I guess it is over 7 years ago now, so my advice in that area would be a bit foggy lol. Imo one shrimp probably wouldn't be enough to cloud up the water that much.

I would have to check my first build threads here, but I was in a different situation pretty quickly when I started... I went to a long island reef association meeting and met some really cool guys, one of them was getting out of the hobby and I bought something like 75lbs of cured LR from him. Put that in a 30gal system and bam, no cycle lol. Problem was the rock was covered not only in coral bases and coraline, it had all sorts of pests. Hydroids, bubble algae, aptstasia, a type of sps eating nudi, and flatworms. A seasoned hobbyist would have been able to handle it, but I was in over my head.

But I digress, here is a link for a club in Chicago, they seem to be very active and I bet if you introduce yourself there someone will offer to give you some help if needed.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=180

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member

Looks good. I like the rockscape.

A background on the tank will really make it look nice so you can't see the wires/filter.

Unread 02/13/2018, 11:09 PM   #10
J4c8o
Registered Member

Looks cool.

J4c8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 03:10 PM   #11
axthoxy
Registered Member

Hey everyone!

It has been awhile but I finally found some time to post an update.

I now have 2 clown fish, 1 Skunk cleaner shrimp, and a clean up crew of 5 snails and 5 hermits.

I also bought a ATO and some calibration fluid for my refractometer, it was off by .003. That was upsetting but I used the ATO to get my salinity up to 1.026 over the last week. The ATO has helped a lot in keeping salinity stable. It is the Tunze Osmolator. The only complaint I have is that the mount is huge and I had to lower the water level in my tank to accommodate it. That is causing my filter waterfall to create bubbles, not into that.

All the parameters I have test kits for are

Temp 77.2
Salinity 1.026
PH 7.7
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 7

Redid the rockscape very happy with what I came up with.

Once again let me know what you guys think.

Unread 03/01/2018, 06:21 PM   #12
RonV
Registered Member

I like it, good job aquascaping it.

RonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 08:21 AM   #13
PyroSteve
Registered Member

The redo looks great.

PyroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 07:09 PM   #14
CRJ
Registered Member

Looks good!

try the tune nano ATO. I went this route on my bio cube 29.

A HOB skimmer might be worth looking at, or even a HOB refugium. it will help with reducing the need for water changes.

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote