Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2014, 09:48 PM   #76
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Yes, the standard sizes also fit. Don't complain about the metric bulkheads, just replace them and you are good to go. I am happy with my purchase. I might be happier with a c-max 250 with an LED, but that is a year away and would cost me at least another $1500 on top of what I paid. I am happy with purchase.

OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 08:58 AM   #77
wetWolger
Registered Member

Underwoo, did you attempt to replace your bulkheads with standard sized ones?

Current Tank Info: 66gal = 32x24x20
wetWolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 01:03 PM   #78
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Can't speak for others but my bulkheads didn't fit. I couldn't screw them in the holes.

GoGo98102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 05:36 PM   #79
wetWolger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
Can't speak for others but my bulkheads didn't fit. I couldn't screw them in the holes.
In case you wanted to try again (unless you already tried). Have you looked at using an ABS Bulkhead? They appear to require a smaller hole (in the case of a 1in bulkhead: 1.06in vs 1.25in for a schedule 80 bulkhead).

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhe...d84463d93.html

I found out that some of the cadlights aquarium owners were using those bulkheads. I believe these aquariums are made by the same chinese manufacture as cadlights (they certainly seem to have the same issues and similar design aspects).

Unread 11/11/2014, 05:53 PM   #80
OceanWolf
Registered Member

ITEM DETAILS FOR THIS ORDER:
18985**1" SLIP BULKHEAD KIT
18983**1/2" SLIP BULKHEAD KIT

These are the items I ordered from Drs fosterandsmith. They fit perfectly.

Unread 11/11/2014, 06:19 PM   #81
GoGo98102
Registered Member

Thanks so much for the info. The bulkheads I got was from Homedepot. I would definitely try again when I am ready to drain the overflow. i am gonna get them and wait for a rainy day when I have help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.4 KB, 299 views)
Unread 11/11/2014, 08:15 PM   #82
postie1686
Registered Member

Yes for any of you replacing the bulkheads if you go to the local hardware store most only carry one made for sch 80 and they are larger. i used the ones from eshopps for the sch 40 tubing and they fit right in!

postie1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 09:48 PM   #83
Underwoo
Registered Member

I replace the bulkheads that came with the systems, because they felt cheap.I got the a couple these from AquaCave. 0.5" BULKHEADS, SCH. 40 & 1" BULKHEADS, SCH. 40. Just finish putting in some LED lights for the sump area.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01928.jpg (39.5 KB, 296 views)
Underwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 10:37 PM   #84
Underwoo
Registered Member

Hey booyaa138, I really like the dim's on the 80 gallon. (32"x24"x24")I always wanted a cube tank, so i went with this tank.(almost a cube!) Anyway, it's been slow going, and still have plenty to do in the sump area yet. Couple things i did in the cabinet sump area. I add the white plastic contact paper to give me more reflextion with the lighting, when have to do maintenance in the sump area. I also have my sump sitting on some R Max form, rap with a Anti-Vibration Pad, and the sump itself is on a Dog Crate, to keep some of the water from getting onto the bottom of the cabinet. Will keep posting photos of my progress.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01865.jpg (41.8 KB, 296 views)
Unread 11/12/2014, 10:25 AM   #85
greaps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwoo View Post
Hey booyaa138, I really like the dim's on the 80 gallon. (32"x24"x24")I always wanted a cube tank, so i went with this tank.(almost a cube!) Anyway, it's been slow going, and still have plenty to do in the sump area yet. Couple things i did in the cabinet sump area. I add the white plastic contact paper to give me more reflextion with the lighting, when have to do maintenance in the sump area. I also have my sump sitting on some R Max form, rap with a Anti-Vibration Pad, and the sump itself is on a Dog Crate, to keep some of the water from getting onto the bottom of the cabinet. Will keep posting photos of my progress.
What are the dimensions for the middle refugium compartment? water level, length and width?

I'm wondering if a large marine pure block would fit well?

Thanks!

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 08:03 PM   #86
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Please post pictures of your sump when you have set it up.

Thanks
Onur

Unread 11/14/2014, 02:43 PM   #87
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Sump Question

I bought a 200W heater to heat the aquarium. 50W ones were not able to bring it up to my other aquarium's temperature. It is currently in the DT. The sump is not operational yet. I have two Koralias and air in the DT.
200W heater is about 13" tall. The mid section baffles are 7". So my constant water level will be 7". I think I need to return this heater if I don't want to keep it in DT.

Anyone have water in their sumps yet? Can you post a picture of the constant water level?

Unread 11/14/2014, 03:27 PM   #88
GoGo98102
Registered Member

The sump water level is corespondent to the baffle next to it. The water enters the first chamber (highest) is around 9.5" on mine, it goes about half an inch lower with each chamber and eventually at the lowest where the return pump is.

Ps. I have 2x300w heaters in my sump. One set to 80f and another at 78f. The 2nd one doesn't kick in unless the temp drops too low.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.7 KB, 308 views)
Unread 11/14/2014, 04:11 PM   #89
wetWolger
Registered Member

OceanWolf, I assume the heater is submersible? Why not just lay it on it's side against the bottom of the sump?

Unread 11/14/2014, 04:32 PM   #90
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetWolger View Post
OceanWolf, I assume the heater is submersible? Why not just lay it on it's side against the bottom of the sump?
You know, right after I wrote that post, I realized how dumb my question was.

You beat me to it. Yes, it will go to the mid section horizontally. It will be below the top of baffle which will make it always submersed.

Unread 11/14/2014, 04:34 PM   #91
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
The sump water level is corespondent to the baffle next to it. The water enters the first chamber (highest) is around 9.5" on mine, it goes about half an inch lower with each chamber and eventually at the lowest where the return pump is.

Ps. I have 2x300w heaters in my sump. One set to 80f and another at 78f. The 2nd one doesn't kick in unless the temp drops too low.
Since I have 200w and 50w ones I will do the same. I also have chiller with a heating port to prevent the racing condition. Two heaters should give me redundancy.

Unread 11/14/2014, 04:45 PM   #92
greaps
Registered Member

How larger is your skimmer compartment, wondering what fits, unless the supplied skimmer is working really well, and quiet I may look to upgrade in that area. Most reviews on the SCA skimmer are positive, noise is a concern though.

greaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2014, 10:18 PM   #93
Underwoo
Registered Member

I purchase a marine block 8x8x4 some time ago for this build. The only way i could get it to fit in the refugium section is length wise,what was i thinking! Can't return it, any ideas?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01936.jpg (44.6 KB, 273 views)
Unread 11/16/2014, 08:26 PM   #94
OceanWolf
Registered Member

Tested the sump with Herbie, it seems working. I need more time to test. All animals are transferred.

Unread 11/17/2014, 01:00 AM   #95
moondoggy4
Registered Member

any ideas

Quote:
I purchase a marine block 8x8x4 some time ago for this build. The only way i could get it to fit in the refugium section is length wise,what was i thinking! Can't return it, any ideas?
They can be cut.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2014, 06:38 PM   #96
booyaa138
Registered Member

Tank looks good!

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 10:32 AM   #97
OceanWolf
Registered Member

I started to use the sump. 1260 is pretty quiet, but you can still hear the humming. I put some thin packaging foam under it, I will try other options. 4' headloss and the pump is on 90% and my 1/2' Herbie drain is 20% closed. These ball valves are hard to adjust. The valve on the drain is a $25 one, it acts the same with $6 one from Lowes. Flow is pretty nice, the overflow water level is low for my taste, I have falling water noise. If I fiddle with it, the emergency starts flowing. Stupid ball valve, can't fine tune it.

Next my sca302 skimmer will go in. I thought using my Aquamaxx hob-1 but it would be small.

Unread 11/22/2014, 12:08 AM   #98
Smite
Registered Member

66g SCA

My 66g. I bought this system used. The stand had water damage so I built my own and had a custom sump made. I also upgraded from the sca301 to ConeS skimmer. I built my stand 6" taller since I hate to bend over, I'm now in the process of upgrading the return as it now seems underpowered. I do use it to power my 2 TLF150 reactors also. Lighting: 2 Ai Sol super blues with 4x24w t5 supplementation.

Day - Back when I had MH+t5

Night

Its great to see all these other SCA tanks and setups. New to this forum, but have been using it via google since I started reef keeping.

Last edited by Dino; 04/10/2018 at 04:50 AM.
Smite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 12:48 AM   #99
wetWolger
Registered Member

Awesme looking tank, thanks for sharing Smite...I was somewhat considering a marineland 93gal (the 30in width sounded nice, but it's kinda tall, plus clear silicone, plus I would loose saphire, plus it would be more expensive).

Your 66gal just helps in reaffirming that I should get the 66gal as well. I feel like the dimensions offer a lot of possibilities for aquascaping (I like wide tanks, and 20in tall seems like it gives it a nice size).

Unread 11/22/2014, 01:56 AM   #100
Smite
Registered Member

Thanks wetWolger. Its a great tank and with the sump its about 75-80g. Large enough for a broader choice in fish, but to not expensive to maintain with water changes, dosing ect.

SCA's 80g is pretty cool. Same footprint as the 66g but 4" taller.

I noticed some people found this system noisy. I don't have much to compare it to but it really doesn't bother me. At first I was getting large random gulping sounds, so I backed the drain valve back to 3/4 of the way open and it has completely stopped. I can hear my skimmer and mp40 over everything else.

Smite is offline   Reply With Quote