Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2018, 07:58 AM   #1
icliao
Registered Member

Ich CYST contamination question, please help?

Can ich cyst be “scooped” out of the water column? How firmly attached are they after they encrusted onto the substrate?

I was at the 10th day of quarantine a new fish with CP at 50mg/g. I may have made a careless mistake to share a container with the display tank which is currently running fallow. I used the container to Scoop some water from the quarantine tank for water change then use it on the display later that day. The container has been washed and scrubbed with freshwater only and left to dry for 10 hours. The fish has never show any sign of disease and I am wondering how big is my chance of introducing a ich cyst into the fallow tank? I know it is almost an impossible question to answer but base on educated guess what do you think is my chance of introducing a ich cyst (not theront) to the fishless display.

1. Highly likely 2. Moderate chance 3. Unlikely 4. Highly unlikely

icliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If you washed and scrubbed the container and let it dry for 10 hrs I say your chances are highly unlikely in transferring a cyst to the QT. If you did the CP will make short work of the few cysts that may have made it in the QT, though again highly unlikely that any made it to the QT. The free swimming stage is the only thing that may have been left over in the container since the cysts would never have a chance to form if the container isn't always in the DT. I think you will be fine, but its a good idea to get another container to keep just for the QT setup.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 08:27 AM   #3
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
If you washed and scrubbed the container and let it dry for 10 hrs I say your chances are highly unlikely in transferring a cyst to the QT. If you did the CP will make short work of the few cysts that may have made it in the QT, though again highly unlikely that any made it to the QT. The free swimming stage is the only thing that may have been left over in the container since the cysts would never have a chance to form if the container isn't always in the DT. I think you will be fine, but its a good idea to get another container to keep just for the QT setup.
Thanks for the reply.

I do have many salt containers and it was an emergency situation and I got panicked. The quarantine canister filter was not running for a day without my knowledge and the water kind of turned hazzy. I made new saltwater but it just won’t clear up after 10 hours (Seachem Vibrant.). So I decided to use the display water and added the not so ready new water to the sump with the same container I used to dump some of the QT water in the morning. I did 100% water change and added new CP and let it run about 2 hours before I reintroduced the fish. The display is on 7th week without fish and I really hate to restart the fallow period.

Unread 04/19/2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

After reading this I'd be more worried about using the tank water that potentially still has ich on the fish that had just been treated and now having to do another copper or hyper treatment. In my opinion I'd think it's highly unlikely that anything was transferred from a washed and dried container. There are quite a few different suggestions on qt period for ich since there are many different strains etc. If you do some research and take different studies into consideration you can make your personal judgement call. What I found personally was that most strains seem to last 2, 4, or 6 weeks in a fallow tank depending on information source . The 72day qt is based on one or two very resilient strains and playing it safe just in case. Again tho do some research and use your best judgement. Beeing on week 7 or 49 days I'd say your very unlikely to have issues since propability would be that you have a "normal" type of ich not the super 72 day life cycle type. But overall you have some choices, what I see are; 1- continue the treatment as planned, if in the end it doesn't work you have an idea why. 2. Restart using today as day 1 and potentally have a super long fallow period. 3. Assume the tank was fallow long enough anyway if they didn't get ich from the tank water and add the fish now since having filter issues in qt could kill them. Obviously I can't recommend #3 but lol it's your tank and your call so I listed it since it is a choice.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 05:31 PM   #5
icliao
Registered Member

Probably I will add several of the fish to test out for a month before adding most other fish. Eapecially the more expensive ones. Thanks for your suggestions.

Unread 04/19/2018, 06:03 PM   #6
icliao
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icliao View Post
Probably I will add several of the fish to test out for a month before adding most other fish. Eapecially the more expensive ones. Thanks for your suggestions.
I do plan to redo the CP treament for another month on the new fish just to be sure

Unread 04/19/2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Dsekula
Registered Member

You could always try the black molly check if your not agnist that sort of thing.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 08:55 PM   #8
icliao
Registered Member

Had done some research and I am in for the black molly test.

Last edited by icliao; 04/19/2018 at 09:08 PM.