Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 07:46 PM   #1
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Wild Caught Ocellaris

So, I bought a pair of ocellaris from my LFS that he claimed were a "bonded pair." (As far as that goes, one was much smaller than the other, and they weren't fighting.) I had hoped they would pair up, live in my BTA, and possibly mate. Well, the first thing I noticed is the larger one wanted nothing to do with the nem. In fact, she almost acted wary of it. Then I noticed she wouldn't relax and make herself at home in the tank the way the other fish were. She would just hover in one corner of the tank, breathing a little fast, acting nervous. (The smaller one acted a little more relaxed, but would stay with her.) She would barely eat, if at all. I also realized that she was a deeper orange color than most ocellaris you would see in a fish store. Then it dawned on me. She must be a wild caught fish, and wasn't adjusting well to captivity. (My water parameters are optimal, by the way, so I don't think this has anything to do with it.) Does my theory hold any water?

LucidGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 08:14 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Sounds typical new to tank.

The BTA is not natural host match for occs,, so it could take time.

No, your theory does not hold water

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 06:47 AM   #3
j.falk
Registered Member

Give them time to adjust. Try putting a small flower pot in the tank to host...it helps them feel more secure and gives them a place to lay their eggs.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote