Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2018, 01:59 PM   #1
monti1
Registered Member

Calcium and Alk

Hi folks,

I’ve been struggling with what I feel are high numbers for both. Fresh off a 5 gallon water change last night and I’m showing calcium at 470 and Alk at 8.9. I’ve been doing a weekly water change with Red Sea coral pro and those parameters have been pretty consistent.

I have 3-4 montipora pieces in the tank. A cap frag, 2 encrusting monti frags and a digita frag. Out side of that a few LPS pieces and a toadstool.

Tank is a JBJ 24 and like I said before I’ve done weekly 5 gallon changes. Tank had been set up for 3 months, has a Tunze 9001 skimmer, mp10 and a Kessil 180 light.

Polyp extension on the Montis isn’t great and coloring is ok.

I’m just trying to find out why the parameters are high and see what I should do long term.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 01:59 PM   #2
monti1
Registered Member

Testing with Salifert test kits for both BTW

Unread 11/14/2018, 02:04 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

Tested your new salt mix? Your a little high, but certainly well within normal limits.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Red Sea Pro mixes very high in the ranges on purpose.
If you like Red Sea but want lower numbers, use the light blue bucket instead of the black one.
Also, make sure mag is in the 1250-1350 range

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 02:49 PM   #5
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Tested your new salt mix? Your a little high, but certainly well within normal limits.

I have not. I should probably do that on the next water change. Thank you

Unread 11/14/2018, 02:53 PM   #6
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Red Sea Pro mixes very high in the ranges on purpose.
If you like Red Sea but want lower numbers, use the light blue bucket instead of the black one.
Also, make sure mag is in the 1250-1350 range

Honestly I’m not sold on the salt. The directions say to change the water within 4 hours of being mixed and I like to leave some salt made up on hand just in case. I was using instant ocean and may go back to that. I’ll have to check the mag tonight. I’m assuming that with my coral load and weekly changes I shouldn’t really have to dose.

I have 2 part ready to go just in case. Thanks for the feedback.

Unread 11/14/2018, 05:21 PM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

Many successful tanks use regular old purple box IO, myself included. The old saying of "if it aint broken, why fix it?" is a good saying for reefing.

Only thing I do for IO is lower the alk as it consistently mixes up to 10DKH. Every other parameter is spot on.

Unread 11/14/2018, 05:49 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti1 View Post
Honestly I’m not sold on the salt. The directions say to change the water within 4 hours of being mixed and I like to leave some salt made up on hand just in case. I was using instant ocean and may go back to that. I’ll have to check the mag tonight. I’m assuming that with my coral load and weekly changes I shouldn’t really have to dose.

I have 2 part ready to go just in case. Thanks for the feedback.

Very nice tank by the way, love the clown, nice mix of corals, well done.

4 hours, I don't do this, nuts.

To me, salt is salt, the difference IMO is the mix, the higher the range, likely a bit more expensive. That said, I have seen the most beautiful tanks using RC and IO.

MG prevents the AlK and the CA from just coming together quickly, before the coral can uptake. Low MG makes both harder to maintain.

Pick your salt firstly from what ranges you expect to keep constant and with a minimal load, the WC should be sufficient.

Ugly stages absolutely no fun. I find it better to keep the water quality consistent rather than "clean", i.e., I only do WC based on nitrate and phosphate levels. When my nitrate gets 5ppm and /or phosphate exceeds .1, then I do a small change. This change drops nitrate to 2.5 ppm and phosphate .05.

Maybe some of this helps, maybe not, it's just one way.

Your going to be really pleased when the ugly stages end, but yes, oh yes, annoying and frustrating during.

Best of luck!

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 05:55 PM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:

To me, salt is salt, the difference IMO is the mix, the higher the range, likely a bit more expensive. That said, I have seen the most beautiful tanks using RC and IO.

Your going to be really pleased when the ugly stages end, but yes, oh yes, annoying and frustrating during.

Best of luck!

+1 This

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:26 PM   #10
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Many successful tanks use regular old purple box IO, myself included. The old saying of "if it aint broken, why fix it?" is a good saying for reefing.

Only thing I do for IO is lower the alk as it consistently mixes up to 10DKH. Every other parameter is spot on.

Not to sound completely retarded but what do you do to lower the Alk? I’ve kept reefs of and on for many years. Almost always LPS based tanks where I hardly ever checked Alk. Now I have a much smaller tank with swings and a few SPS pieces.

Unread 11/14/2018, 09:30 PM   #11
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice tank by the way, love the clown, nice mix of corals, well done.

4 hours, I don't do this, nuts.

MG prevents the AlK and the CA from just coming together quickly, before the coral can uptake. Low MG makes both harder to maintain.

Pick your salt firstly from what ranges you expect to keep constant and with a minimal load, the WC should be sufficient.

Ugly stages absolutely no fun. I find it better to keep the water quality consistent rather than "clean", i.e., I only do WC based on nitrate and phosphate levels. When my nitrate gets 5ppm and /or phosphate exceeds .1, then I do a small change. This change drops nitrate to 2.5 ppm and phosphate .05.

Maybe some of this helps, maybe not, it's just one way.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words. I’m hoping to add a little more rock up top and a few more corals and let it grow. Here’s to hoping.

I agree with the don’t worry about super clean water and worry about consistent parameters. I think I get in my own head a little with a small tank and think I need to change water constantly. I’ve been debating slowing that down and keeping an eye on the parameters.

I do need to start monitoring mag more because I couldn’t even tell you the last time I checked it. Thanks again for the input.

Rick

Unread 11/14/2018, 11:00 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

Those numbers are safe as is, for most setups, so I wouldn't worry much yet. I agree that testing the salt mix is the first step. I suspect that the product in question mixes up at about those levels or higher.

Unread 11/15/2018, 04:36 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

Lower alk with muriatic acid.

Calculations for figuring out dosage...

water volume x DKH drop x 0.123 = amount to add in ML.

Example:

25 gallons of water, 2.5dkh drop x .123 = (this is my typical calculations for my 25G brute)7.68 or in my case I would just add 7.5 and test. This will usually take me to just around 8.5DKH.

Just keep in mind that the PH will drastically fall when adding the acid. Let your SW mix for another 24 hours before using to bring the PH back up.

And for the love of all things salty, under no circumstances should acid be added to a running system.

Unread 11/15/2018, 07:39 AM   #14
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Lower alk with muriatic acid.

Calculations for figuring out dosage...

water volume x DKH drop x 0.123 = amount to add in ML.

Example:

25 gallons of water, 2.5dkh drop x .123 = (this is my typical calculations for my 25G brute)7.68 or in my case I would just add 7.5 and test. This will usually take me to just around 8.5DKH.

Just keep in mind that the PH will drastically fall when adding the acid. Let your SW mix for another 24 hours before using to bring the PH back up.

And for the love of all things salty, under no circumstances should acid be added to a running system.

Thank you! I like the “for the love of all things salty” I could just see someone dumping acid in their reef

Unread 11/15/2018, 07:43 AM   #15
homer1475
Registered Member

You laugh, but it's been done. Thats the reason for the disclaimer.

Unread 11/15/2018, 07:14 PM   #16
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
You laugh, but it's been done. Thats the reason for the disclaimer.

Sadly I’m sure

Unread 11/22/2018, 02:58 PM   #17
Sharkey18
Premium Member

Your alk is not that high so I wouldn't go out of the way to lower it. You run the risk of doing more harm than good.

Your tank is only 3 months old and looks pretty good so I would just sit back and enjoy for a while.

If you want lower alk switch to a salt that doesn't mix so high. I'm about to go from RC back to IO for that same reason.

Sharkey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 04:44 PM   #18
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey18 View Post
Your alk is not that high so I wouldn't go out of the way to lower it. You run the risk of doing more harm than good.

Your tank is only 3 months old and looks pretty good so I would just sit back and enjoy for a while.

If you want lower alk switch to a salt that doesn't mix so high. I'm about to go from RC back to IO for that same reason.

That’s the plan. I just mixed up a new water change and the parameters are calcium 440 alk 10.0 mag 1400. I’m just going to leave it alone and continue us water changes for now.

Thanks for the help folks!