Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2008, 04:37 AM   #1
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

The Reef Central Corner Club Thread

hi-guys and gals, ive spoken to a couple of buddies i know with corner tanks here and we think it would be a great idea if we could know who has a corner tank, any sizes will be fine, the idea is we believe they are unique and unless you own 1 you-d probably wouldnt understand how difficult they are to aquascape, and to light and to get flow right and add a sump etc, if you own a corner and want to be added to a list so we can all chat and pass on ideas please post here, anyone is welcome experienced and newbies, and tell you buddies with 1 as well, the more i know about the more chance we have of success and it will be great to help each other and others out, we could form a club between us and it can only benefit the members here, please no posters without a corner, no silly comments and allow this thread to run guys ok, i just hope theres more than 3 of us, lol

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 04:49 AM   #2
flipsideleo
Registered Member

I think that this would be a great idea, and if there was such an entity, I would do my best to help support it.

I know for a fact that I have been pretty frustrated setting up my corner! I don't know what I would have done if I didn't find guys/gals that have been there and done that, so to speak.

Current Tank Info: 120g Grow Out / 60g Grow Out
flipsideleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 07:58 AM   #3
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Corner tank owner here. Great idea with the corner tank club.
One suggestion, members should post pictures (FTS)of their corner tanks.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well done guys, if you want to show your tank then go for it, well thats 3, i know a couple more, who knows we may get double figures

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 12/24/2008, 08:33 AM   #5
scottallert
Registered Member

2 days then i can join,
im getting a 60 gallon.

scottallert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by scottallert
2 days then i can join,
im getting a 60 gallon.
thats great news, your more than welcome

MIKE

Unread 12/24/2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

bump

MIKE

Unread 12/24/2008, 11:24 AM   #8
uglyryder
Registered Member

ive got a 54corner reef, its been up for about a year, and i just recently got the flow where it wont have a constant sand storm.

uglyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 11:30 AM   #9
uglyryder
Registered Member

heres a pic of mine from a month or so ago

its a little out dated, ive changed the rock work a little a week ago.

uglyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 12:27 PM   #10
chrisqueenz
Registered Member

92Corner here. Great ideas guys. I have run into several issues with this unique tank. I have had mine running for about 8months so far

Here she was in the begining

[IMG][/IMG]

4months ago
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I dont have any recent pics, but the rockwork has changed a bit. Looking forward to seeing other tanks suggestions and ideas!

chrisqueenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hi-guys nice to see you post, both tanks are nice and hopefully we can chat a bit more about them sometime

MIKE

Unread 12/24/2008, 02:12 PM   #12
phish guy
Registered Member

54 RR corner over here!

i love my corner. and yeah, def dont see many folks with them. got plenty more pics if ya'll want to see em.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Hookup
Registered Member

Nice idea for a thread. I have a corner 92g bow... It's a frigg'n pain in the but!!!!

I'd like to see ideas on how people did the lighting as well as aquascaping.

I have to run for xmass..lol... but below is a thread from my local forms/site that has some of my build info. Not updated, I will update with new photos...

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=30842.0

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well phish guy and hook up nice of you to post as well, have a good one hook, hope we have a chat after xmas about your system

MIKE

Unread 12/24/2008, 03:01 PM   #15
scottallert
Registered Member

chrisqueenz,
i might steal your aquascape idea, it looks awesome

scottallert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 03:09 PM   #16
chrisqueenz
Registered Member

The idea is to build a sort of a vally and have the corals grown into it. I want my walls just a bit taller though

chrisqueenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 03:18 PM   #17
Husky_1
Premium Member

Great thread, I am tagging along for the ride and will post some pics soon. I have had my 92 corner for about 14 months.

I am off until the new year, so I will make some time to takes pics.

Happy holidays!

Husky_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Hookup
Registered Member

Anyone finding that the surface skimming with these corner units is not... as good as it could be? I'm noticing some surface film in my tank and believe it is due to the relatively small section where the over-flow is.. (compared to a coast-to-coast design)

I'm not sure FOWLRs actually exist, I think they're like unicorns or platonic girlfriends. A FOWLR is just a reef tank that doesn't yet hold any coral.

Current Tank Info: 180g display, 150gallon sump in-wall 4-side viewable sps dominated tank, ATI Powermodule, MRC MR-4 skimmer, GHL controller, Baling Method, Ultralith Reactor, Carbon & Phosphate Reactors, and general time consuming money pit that I live for.
Unread 12/25/2008, 12:33 AM   #19
flipsideleo
Registered Member

Hookup,

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I've had to point one of my modded MJ's upwards, just to move that stuff around a bit more than most tanks I've seen. These tanks are a PITA!

Have you guys noticed that when you look at the tank, at certain angles, you get blurred vision... and sometimes a headache? LOL! Man, I still love mine! Here's my build thread, if you're interested... it's still a WIP:

http://forums.modernreefkeeping.com/...ost?id=3123451

I'm currently working on enclosing my canopy, and finishing up the lighting. I have more plans for the sump and a separate fuge, but that remains to be seen... Like everyone else, I'm kind of caught up in the whole holiday thang, so ya'll have a happy and safe holidays!

- Flip

Current Tank Info: 120g Grow Out / 60g Grow Out
flipsideleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Hookup
Registered Member

LOL, yes HUGE PAIN. I do love it for the small foot-print it takes up, but I've been building a DIY canopy and MAN, getting that curve is causing me no end of grief... I do not want to bend wood, but i think I might have too...

Anyone else do a DIY canopy for these??

I was able to jam in a 400w 20k halide on a large (16x16?) luminbright reflector (16" bulb height) and 6 T5HO to light the system. Only 4 of the 6 T5s are installed at this time, the last two require the cabinet doors to be installed.. which require me to get off my xmass spirit and do it...

Unread 12/25/2008, 08:25 AM   #21
Hookup
Registered Member

Hey Flip, nice build thread you have there.... whatever happened to the puffers you started with? (I did read *most* posts but I might have missed it).

Looking forward to discussing your canopy build-out. I really only have one "idea" that is workable for the curvy parts up front, which is to use a jig-saw just like you did on your stand and cut braces for the canopy sheathing to keep the curve shape. Steaming and bending wood really isn't an option.

I do not want to wimp out and have one built by a professional... Like you I love DIY/tinkering with things... 175g sump on a 90 tank for example... LOL...

Unread 12/25/2008, 08:43 AM   #22
reeferhabit
Registered Member

IMG]http://i230.photobucket

reeferhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 08:44 AM   #23
reeferhabit
Registered Member

IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/nole561/PIC-0009.jpg[/IMG]

reeferhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 12:13 PM   #24
phish guy
Registered Member

ive definitely noticed a film everynow and then. whats worked for me was turning off my koralia 3 and letting any film drain. it seems to be the way the water flows in a corner. if any pumps are pointed twards the overflow, it pushes water up twards the surface not allowing any surface film to be skimmed.

works great for feeding pellets though. none go in the overflow

Chrisqueenz- i do love your lay out. i got kinda somthing like it. wall across the one side and overflow. then an island in the front right. valley layouts give great swimming/coral grow room. cant wait to see yours grown in.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef, Reeftech LEDs ( on their way out for reefbreeder Photons), Reef Octoput NWB250, Custom made Sump/Refufium, Mp40wES, Koralia's. SPS, LPS, Zoas/Palys
phish guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2008, 12:27 PM   #25
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

heres a quick pic of my tank, id love epstein to post his, but for now i assume hes away for the holidays

t5s and leds on

just t5s on

MIKE

Tags
bowfront, corner tank thread