Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Oiler3535
Registered Member

My fish

So my 46g tank is now complete except for adding more corals. I have 2 ocelaris, a Royal Gramma, Tiger Blenny, and just added my last a Fire Goby. I had a Banggai but I think the full size ocelaris badgered it to death. If I can find a good hob skimmer I might add 1 more fish, but tbd. Just regular water changes and cleaning my canister is keeping levels all good atm. I know many will say I’m overstocked but any suggestions on 1 more fish once I get a good skimmer? I’ve been recommended a flame angel by my lfs.

Question: is a sea hare a good idea? Have hair algae but not a huge problem. Algae on glass is more an issue bc can’t find snails around here.Reading mixed things online.

Funny anecdote: got the firefish a few days ago. Reading online expected it to hide for a few days. Nope. Always swimming around in the middle of the tank from the get go (besides the first hour when other fish kept coming to investigate and kept scarpering away). However, my rockscape has 2 mounds. The left mound has a bunch of small caves and the right has 1 big one. The Gramma and tiger love the left mound, and the pair of ocelaris hang in the right mound (in fact are constantly cleaning and the small one vibrating on one flat wall on outside of it so thinking they’re nesting at some point). However, the last 2 mornings I get up and the maybe 1.5 inch firefish is in the big cave and the much larger clownfish are both huddled in a small cave on the left side. Apparently the firefish took over the big cave lol. During the day it’s out swimming everywhere in the open (and the Ocis stay in/around the big cave), but each night it hunkers down in the cave.

Oiler3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:42 AM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

Sea hares do a good job of cleaning algae, but you have to make sure you don't have any pumps or powerheads exposed. The biggest mistake people make is that they don't protect their equipment, meaning the sea hare gets sucked in, dies as a result, and produces a lot of nitrates in the water because of its death!

Unread 11/13/2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Oiler3535
Registered Member

Hmmm. I do have my power head and canister intake exposed. Intake low pressure enough wouldn’t be worried. Blower though worries me. Hmmm. Thanks.

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Oiler3535
Registered Member

Yay me! Guy in town here is upgrading his tank and getting rid of his softies. Gonna look tomorrow and probably get a bunch

Unread 11/16/2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Oiler3535
Registered Member

Got a big piece with over 100 paly polyps on it, a frag with a dozen bright red zoa polyps, a piece with a few other zoas, a piece of LR with a 3 inch diameter leather and a piece with a bright green mushroom all for 60 bucks. Seems a good deal

Unread 11/24/2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Oiler3535
Registered Member

Lol (but not really)...had been using tap water and treating it. Tested 0s on all tests, but everybody here and elsewhere says to use rodi water. Saved my bottles and last 3 water changes I’ve used rodi from local(ish) Culligan. And I’ve gone from extremely little algae in tank, to a huge problem with hair and another type (green film on sand/rocks that gives off gas bubbles). Sucks. Getting a skimmer tomorrow, but think I’m going back to my treated tap water as it’s free and don’t have to travel 20 minutes for water.

Unread 01/01/2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Oiler3535
Registered Member

Got my last fish for my tank. A nice little 1.5ish inch Flame Angel. Seems perfectly happy (despite the Royal Gramma doing a threat display whenever close lol), and eating my prepared food a bit. But I put a 2x2 inch square of nori in the tank last night and today it’s completely gone. No other plant eating fish in tank (RG, Oci, Firefish). Would it have eaten that much or has it broken up and disappeared somewhere?

PS my Ocelaris has decided she is going to try and host in a frogspawn barely bigger than her lol. Looks so sad trying to burrow in and failing miserably! I’d love an anemone for it but read too many problems with them.