Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2018, 04:05 PM   #1
jorda9095
Registered Member

My Lagoon

I've been out of the hobby for a few years. Finally ready to started again and here's my setup:

Tank: Innovative Marine Lagoon 25

Stand: DIY Ikea Silveran Cabinet (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10270770/)

Rock: Vidarock Centerpiece (https://aqua-tecture.com/collections...=7534083276830)

Light: AI Hydra 26 HD

Tropic Eden miniflakes substrate (still to be added)

Tunze ATO w/ 12~ gallon pet food container as reservoir

Innovative Marine Desktop Skimmer

Cobalt Neotherm 100w

Syncra silent 1.0 return pump

Still to buy:
Apex Jr mostly as failsafe for heater

MP10QD

The idea behind this tank is to have mostly everything I want as far as equipment and to keep the look as clean/minimal as possible. I haven't put much thought into the livestock but will probably end up as a mixed reef with a few fish.

I got some liverock from the LFS to start the cycling process. I'm still waiting on the sand to get here and I will probably drain the water to put in the sand. Anyone think I should get some fish food or bottled bacteria? I'm thinking it is not really necessary to start the cycle.

There is some sort of crack/scratch on one corner of the tank that I've been watching closely to see if it spreads. I'm still not 100% sure if it is a crack or scratch.

Not much to look at now

crack in question

jorda9095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Zuti
Registered Member

That crack is no good. The rock is awesome though. I wish I could have found something like that for my build. Ended up doing my own scape. Good luck with the setup. You'll be happy with the hydra and apex setup. We have a lot of the same equipment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 06/01/2018, 04:40 PM   #3
jorda9095
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuti View Post
That crack is no good. The rock is awesome though. I wish I could have found something like that for my build. Ended up doing my own scape. Good luck with the setup. You'll be happy with the hydra and apex setup. We have a lot of the same equipment.

Yea, I don't like the crack either. I'm going to drain it and see if I can inspect it some more. It may be a scratch.

The tank I had before this one was a 40b. Pretty similar to yours (no eel lol). I really like the dimensions of those tanks.

Last edited by jorda9095; 06/01/2018 at 05:28 PM.
Unread 06/03/2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Zuti
Registered Member

Wow that 40b is sick. Yea I wouldn't trust that, looks like a crack from the picture. Seems strange it held water though. Is it a glass or acrylic tank?

Unread 06/06/2018, 09:33 PM   #5
jorda9095
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow that 40b is sick. Yea I wouldn't trust that, looks like a crack from the picture. Seems strange it held water though. Is it a glass or acrylic tank?

It's a glass tank. I didn't have time to drain it and inspect it last weekend so I plan on doing it this weekend now. I got my sand yesterday so if the inspection goes well, I'll add that in before filling it back up.

Unread 06/07/2018, 08:58 AM   #6
Zuti
Registered Member

Cool rinse your sand really well. Had a bad experience with my current setup. I'm thinking about setting up my 20high that I upgraded from. Just to get the rest of the sand and some more rock established for when I upgrade in a year or two. Good luck

Unread 06/16/2018, 04:21 PM   #7
jorda9095
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool rinse your sand really well. Had a bad experience with my current setup. I'm thinking about setting up my 20high that I upgraded from. Just to get the rest of the sand and some more rock established for when I upgrade in a year or two. Good luck

So I drained the tank and inspected that corner. There was no crack through the pane of glass and I've concluded it is a scratch. I've put a thicker foam mat under the tank this time to help level it. I rinsed the **** out of the sand but still had some cloudy water and mud bubbles.

I did a 5g water change today and did some tests a little later...

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

I'm going to get some snails soon to take care of the diatoms.

Unread 08/15/2018, 09:20 PM   #8
BruceWayne
Registered Member

Rock set up is very cool

BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 09:53 PM   #9
jorda9095
Registered Member

So the tank is about a year old now and I've got it pretty much full of corals. Still more room in some spots. I want to add some more sps. Just got done battling a bunch of algae. Now working on getting a dosing regimen in place.