Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2010, 05:44 PM   #2476
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehouse View Post
Hi guys/gals,

I have been doing freshwater planted/aquascapes for about a year and a half now.

I just picked-up a beautiful 750 gallon salt tank-(FOWLR). I am VERY excited to get going on this and am sure I will have LOTS of questions as this will be my first salt exposure. Wish me luck!

Tim in Glendale, AZ

Oh Yeah...Also looking to join a local club here in the Phoenix az area.

We have a forum for big tanks--I hope you start a build thread there so we can watch your progress

Also, check in the reef clubs forum for a local club

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2010, 02:57 PM   #2477
igot2gats
Deeeetroit Basketball!

Wow. I've been a lurker here for 1.5 years and just noticed this. So, I guess it's my turn.

I'm Jeff. I grew up in Detroit, moved to Grand Rapids in December 09. I had a 29G Biocube in Detroit, but now live in an apt currently. So it kinda doesn't make any sense to set up a reef when we don't plan on living in the apt for more than 2 - 3 years.

For now, I continue to lurk the SPS, Large Reef, & Reef Discussion threads here.

igot2gats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2010, 03:09 PM   #2478
JuJuMan16
Registered Member

Hey folks, im not really new to RC, but its been close to 5 yrs since my last post. I kinda gave up on the hobby when my mated pair of A. Ocellaris started to lay eggs and died from 1 day to the next. I was hoping that this experience would bring the hobby to a new level for me, i bought a million things, spent a ton of money to raise the babies, and they both just died before i was able to do anything. After that, the tanks just became that, "tanks", then it just became something i had to feed, i was busy with a full time job and full time school... I ended up giving up all 3 tanks to friends who were just starting with the hobby and would care for them and love them.

I was in the shower last night, and believe it or not i started to remember how much fun it all was, and how after 5 years i still miss those clowns. So i was talking about it with my wife, and i am thinking of starting over. I learned from many mistakes in the past, and even though i know the basics, many things have changed. So i will be lurking around, learning new things, and catching up. This time i am not in a hurry, so i can research what i want, and have a little more money to play with.

Wish me luck!

JuJuMan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2010, 05:18 PM   #2479
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot2gats View Post
Wow. I've been a lurker here for 1.5 years and just noticed this. So, I guess it's my turn.

I'm Jeff. I grew up in Detroit, moved to Grand Rapids in December 09. I had a 29G Biocube in Detroit, but now live in an apt currently. So it kinda doesn't make any sense to set up a reef when we don't plan on living in the apt for more than 2 - 3 years.

For now, I continue to lurk the SPS, Large Reef, & Reef Discussion threads here.
a 29 gal cube would be an excellent apartment tank. Easy to set up easy to take down.

Out of Lurking on Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/24/2010, 05:21 PM   #2480
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzhighestbidder View Post
Hey folks, im not really new to RC, but its been close to 5 yrs since my last post. I kinda gave up on the hobby when my mated pair of A. Ocellaris started to lay eggs and died from 1 day to the next. I was hoping that this experience would bring the hobby to a new level for me, i bought a million things, spent a ton of money to raise the babies, and they both just died before i was able to do anything. After that, the tanks just became that, "tanks", then it just became something i had to feed, i was busy with a full time job and full time school... I ended up giving up all 3 tanks to friends who were just starting with the hobby and would care for them and love them.

I was in the shower last night, and believe it or not i started to remember how much fun it all was, and how after 5 years i still miss those clowns. So i was talking about it with my wife, and i am thinking of starting over. I learned from many mistakes in the past, and even though i know the basics, many things have changed. So i will be lurking around, learning new things, and catching up. This time i am not in a hurry, so i can research what i want, and have a little more money to play with.

Wish me luck!
Once the hobby is in your blood you are always addicted in one form or another
Any loss at anytime can be heartbreaking and discouraging but welcome back

Back To Reef Central

Unread 04/25/2010, 02:07 AM   #2481
pkrsuk
Registered Member

Hello, After 12 months, still consider myself a newbie. Have been lurking quite a bit, and absorbing as much helpful info/ experiences of others. Still have quite a ways to go with my tank.....plan to launch another attack on my aptasia farm this week.

-Prashanth

pkrsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 09:06 AM   #2482
rkaragozler
Registered Member

newbie from NY

Hello RC.
I just got into the saltwater hobby in January, hope you guys don't mind me asking tons of questions.

rkaragozler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 10:16 AM   #2483
NW_Woody
Registered Member

Hi RC,

I am just returning to the hobby after about 12 years of raising kids. I plan on a FOWLr tank to begin with and then mayby adding some corals to see how it goes.

Tank is 120G, 50G sump, ETSS 600 skimmer, 2 250W MH + 3 VHO Actinics

I have started a list of posible fish to keep. Can someone chime in on how many fish I can get in here?

NW_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 10:41 AM   #2484
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Woody View Post
Hi RC,

I am just returning to the hobby after about 12 years of raising kids. I plan on a FOWLr tank to begin with and then mayby adding some corals to see how it goes.

Tank is 120G, 50G sump, ETSS 600 skimmer, 2 250W MH + 3 VHO Actinics

I have started a list of posible fish to keep. Can someone chime in on how many fish I can get in here?
i personally dont like trying to decide how many fish, adding 5-6 fish in a 120 seems fine, but if they are 6" then too much, what would you like to keep? and then we can advise, also welcome to this fantastic site.

mike

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 11:59 AM   #2485
NW_Woody
Registered Member

Here is my begginer list. I have started by listing every fish I think I may want to keep. Obviously, I can't get them all, so I will need to make some choices. Some I think will be too dificult to start with, not all of these will get along with each other. I still have much research to get done. But it makes sense to pick fish first and then design the systems around their needs.

Fish I would Like to keep:
Clown ( Mated Pair)

Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Lemon Peel Angel
Reagal Angel
Japanese Swallow Tail Angel

Yellow Tang
Blue Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Red Sea Purple Tang
Atlantic Blue Tang
Achilles Tang
Chevron Tang
Clown Tang
Mata Tang
Spotted Yellow Eye Tang

Copper Banded Buterfly

Long Nose Hawk
Six Line Wrasse
Scotts fairy wrasse
Leopard Wrasse

Firefish Goby
Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Helfrichi Firefish
Randall's Goby
Tiger Watchman Goby

Blennies

Bartlets Anthias
Carberry Anthias
Pictilis Anthias
Ventralis Anthias

Brazilian Gramma
Royal Gramma
Yellow Assessor
Sunrise Basslet
Pacific Candy Basslet

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

NW_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 12:40 PM   #2486
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrsuk View Post
Hello, After 12 months, still consider myself a newbie. Have been lurking quite a bit, and absorbing as much helpful info/ experiences of others. Still have quite a ways to go with my tank.....plan to launch another attack on my aptasia farm this week.

-Prashanth

To Reef Central
good to see you out from the shadows. Good luck with that aiptasia farm.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 12:42 PM   #2487
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaragozler View Post
Hello RC.
I just got into the saltwater hobby in January, hope you guys don't mind me asking tons of questions.

To Reef Central

Asking questions is what this forum is supposed to be about.... start your threads and ask away.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/25/2010, 03:28 PM   #2488
cm11599ps
Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I've had FW tanks for around 20 years now, I currently have a 55 gallon cichlid tank. I've been getting the urge to attempt a SW tank and last month picked up a 46 bowfront with stand off craigs list that I'd like ot make into a FOWLER or preferably a reef.

To prepare myself for SW I picked up 3 books from the library.

1) SW for Dummies
2) The New Marine Aquarium
3) The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium

I finished the first two and am currently reading the third book. I'm also doing tons of research online and various forums trying to further my knowledge before I even bring the 46 bowfront into my house from the garage.

That leads me to this forum. I belong to one forum that is mainly FW but has a smaller section of SW. Basic questions get answered but not in a timely manner and there's only about 2 or 3 active SW members there to answer your questions. Another board I am trying is geared towards SW but the lack of answers to my questions lead me to another board, this one.

I'm hoping that this board can answer my reef questions and get me going on my reef tank in the coming weeks. Thanks!

cm11599ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 07:12 PM   #2489
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Hello everyone!

I've had FW tanks for around 20 years now, I currently have a 55 gallon cichlid tank. I've been getting the urge to attempt a SW tank and last month picked up a 46 bowfront with stand off craigs list that I'd like ot make into a FOWLER or preferably a reef.

To prepare myself for SW I picked up 3 books from the library.

1) SW for Dummies
2) The New Marine Aquarium
3) The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium

I finished the first two and am currently reading the third book. I'm also doing tons of research online and various forums trying to further my knowledge before I even bring the 46 bowfront into my house from the garage.

That leads me to this forum. I belong to one forum that is mainly FW but has a smaller section of SW. Basic questions get answered but not in a timely manner and there's only about 2 or 3 active SW members there to answer your questions. Another board I am trying is geared towards SW but the lack of answers to my questions lead me to another board, this one.

I'm hoping that this board can answer my reef questions and get me going on my reef tank in the coming weeks. Thanks!

To Reef Central
You'll definitely get answers here. this forum (new to the hobby) and the reef discussion forum is quite active. You'll get more answers in the NTTH forum for your new tank. Good luck and feel free to ask anything. Chances are that someone has had the same experience and knows how to save you the headache.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/25/2010, 08:44 PM   #2490
mannyfly84
Registered Member

New

Just joined Reef Central. I have a 20 gal. Tank, with 10lbs Live rock, and 4 fish, and a couple of creatures. New to the hobby so starting off small, may build a reef tank this summer...

mannyfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 09:22 PM   #2491
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfly84 View Post
Just joined Reef Central. I have a 20 gal. Tank, with 10lbs Live rock, and 4 fish, and a couple of creatures. New to the hobby so starting off small, may build a reef tank this summer...

To Reef Central
Sounds like you have all planned out. good luck

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/26/2010, 12:38 PM   #2492
bernerbrau
Registered Member

Hi,

My name is Derek Berner. My wife, Leslie, and I are interested in building a marine aquarium and were referred here by ReefCentral member dataz722 from homebrewtalk.com, a beer brewing site he and I frequent.

My wife and I are absolutely brand new to aquarium keeping. I have a copy of The New Marine Aquarium which I am currently nose deep in. We plan to build a 70-90 gallon acrylic tank later this year.

I'm especially fond of Lionfish, but I'm told it's a very difficult fish to keep for beginners and potentially lethal. Is this true?

bernerbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 01:12 PM   #2493
D2D
Registered Member

Hello RC! I've been lurking and learnin' since 2007 (yes, 2007!). Unfortunately, I have had a lot of health issues...until now....

Am Tim from Moreno Valley, California. I bought a 90gal tank 3 years ago and wanted to start a reef tank, but ended up selling for dirt cheap due to too many things goin on in my life...

I consider myself a newbie still and really want to start over, just not sure if i want a reef tank or just strictly fish tank. I really want pufferfish tank but heard they're high maintenance

D2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 09:59 PM   #2494
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2D View Post
Hello RC! I've been lurking and learnin' since 2007 (yes, 2007!). Unfortunately, I have had a lot of health issues...until now....

Am Tim from Moreno Valley, California. I bought a 90gal tank 3 years ago and wanted to start a reef tank, but ended up selling for dirt cheap due to too many things goin on in my life...

I consider myself a newbie still and really want to start over, just not sure if i want a reef tank or just strictly fish tank. I really want pufferfish tank but heard they're high maintenance
Well you deserve a warm

To Reef Central

When I first started I wanted an aggressive tank with puffers and triggers and lion fish and so on, but I'm glad that I went the route of the reef tank. Yes they aren't as fun to watch but they sure do add elegance to the home decor.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/27/2010, 07:42 PM   #2495
REEFROOKEE
Registered Member

new guy wants you to school him on set up!

hey guys! loving the site! im a newbie to the salt scene! i have been reading everything i can find like a mad man for the past month trying to make sure i dont mess up any steps along the way!

got a 55g ( i know to small) but it will do till i can move in to my new place, got a 40g sump with a coralife Super Skimmer 65G ( its crap i have discovered) and a aqua clear 110 for return to tank,in tank has one koralia 3 power head, i got another one to install yet. think thats enough movement?
i just got the rest of my live rock in from http://www.ecoliverock.org/. looks great so far! i think i ordered a little to much! so ill jam some more in the sump!
also ordered a RO/DI kit from bulk reef supply 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System, with a refractometer, i tried ordering a metal halide / t5 combo from aquatraders but he won't ship to me unless its a confirmed paypal address, so ill have to look else were for a better light source! still not sure what K bulbs to get?
heres some pics of my getto start at SW

bio balls arnt in there any more, soon to be filled with live rock

REEFROOKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2010, 08:04 PM   #2496
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFROOKEE View Post
hey guys! loving the site! im a newbie to the salt scene! i have been reading everything i can find like a mad man for the past month trying to make sure i dont mess up any steps along the way!

got a 55g ( i know to small) but it will do till i can move in to my new place, got a 40g sump with a coralife Super Skimmer 65G ( its crap i have discovered) and a aqua clear 110 for return to tank,in tank has one koralia 3 power head, i got another one to install yet. think thats enough movement?
i just got the rest of my live rock in from http://www.ecoliverock.org/. looks great so far! i think i ordered a little to much! so ill jam some more in the sump!
also ordered a RO/DI kit from bulk reef supply 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System, with a refractometer, i tried ordering a metal halide / t5 combo from aquatraders but he won't ship to me unless its a confirmed paypal address, so ill have to look else were for a better light source! still not sure what K bulbs to get?
heres some pics of my getto start at SW

To Reef Central You know you can try craigslist to see if anyone local is selling light fixtures.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/28/2010, 02:34 PM   #2497
evokevin
Registered Member

new to reef central here! my wife and got our first reef tank last year, it was a 72gal bowfront. since then, in december a friend gave us his 180 bow front which we moved our stuff into.

it is filled with fish:
mated cinnimon clowns
5 lyretail anthia school
5 green chromis school
sailfin tang
kole tang
regal tang
6 line wrasse
flame angel
diamond goby

and we have mostly soft corals (polyps, sun coral, leather frogspawn, hammers, shrooms), but have just got some new MH lights and a couple SPS frags to get started.

this forum has been an excellent help in the week or so i've been reading it, and look forward to participating!!

evokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 05:49 PM   #2498
michigankane
Registered Member

Hi there.

Well I've been keeping FW tanks since I was 10, so I figured that after 20 years of that I wanted to try SW. So I went made my 29 gallon into FOWLR. Its been up and running since Oct. I have about 30 pounds of live rock, lots of little hitchhikers (good and bad ones) 20 pounds of live sand. 2 clowns, and two firefish. I had 4 scarlet hermit crabs, but only see 3 out and about right now. I want to upgrade to a larger tank and with that create a reef tank. But I'll be moving to san diego in the winter, and don't think i can have a large tank in the barracks. I'll only be there for a year, so I'll be using that year to save as much money as I can and get as much knowledge as I can so that way I can turn around and get it all up and running quickly (which I know means slowly if I want a great tank). So I'm sure you'll be seeing questions from me, and I will for sure be starting a build thread once I get going on it.

michigankane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 08:56 PM   #2499
snowfan
Registered Member

Wow.. i didn't realize how many fellow lurkers there are around here. I just created an account, but I've been lurking on this site since 2006 (yes, 2006).

I've finally had the guts to actually start looking into getting my first tank ever (most likely a nano tank?!?) and I've actually never owned a tank of any sort, so I'm rather nervous about what to do.

Im a recent college grad and currently residing in San Jose, CA. Any messages are welcome! =D

snowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 09:18 PM   #2500
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfan View Post
Wow.. i didn't realize how many fellow lurkers there are around here. I just created an account, but I've been lurking on this site since 2006 (yes, 2006).

I've finally had the guts to actually start looking into getting my first tank ever (most likely a nano tank?!?) and I've actually never owned a tank of any sort, so I'm rather nervous about what to do.

Im a recent college grad and currently residing in San Jose, CA. Any messages are welcome! =D
The best thing to do is start your own build thread. Post a pic or two and ask some questions. You will get alot of response this way

To Reef Central

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral