Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2018, 06:49 AM   #526
Chasmodes
Registered Member

OK, this isn't related to my oyster reef tank, but, I've mentioned my FW build before and thought that by keeping tabs on it here once in a while, it might give me and others ideas about future DIY scaping stuff. This time, it's about roots. I began my fake sycamore roots (after scrapping my old work). Here is the latest post about that progress:

I finally got my butt in gear and started back on the roots. I don't know if you all remember, but I scrapped my last attempt because, I just didn't like the way it was turning out. So this time, I decided to start by building the frame first, and not try to work details in as I went, and I'm much happier with the progress. Basically, I worked with just CPVC pipe, CPVC fittings, a heat gun, and a few zip ties to build the frame. I'm almost done with the frame, then I'll apply the CPVC glue and lock it up. I'm making these roots removable to make maintenance on the tank easier. Here is what it looks like so far:

Full tank shot:

Close up:

Here is what it looked like before (ugh):

Next steps:
* Glue the CPVC structure together
* Glue some rope and other detail materials in place with a hot glue gun
* Wrap as much pipe as I can with plaster gauze to give stuff something other than a slippery surface to cling to
* Apply some spray foam to some areas for bulk and to get rid of straight lines to make it more realistic.
* Carve the foam to finish the base skeleton of the roots
* Apply grout for the next most outer layer of the roots to provide the final amount of bulk and sculpting for realism.
* Paint and seal with Drylok mixed with cement die to provide the final details and realism but also to seal in the grout to prevent pH issues.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 08:41 AM   #527
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, that looks great! Nice job! I can see that it will work, visually. You set yourself a high standard with your wall. Making a root structure that is it's equal must be very challenging. You've just about done it! A little finish work and you're there. Can't wait to see the finished product! It's going to be amazing!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2018, 08:59 AM   #528
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I had a mental block about this project, and then just decided to dive into it again. Once I got going, everything started to fall into place, and I got excited about it again. We had to leave to go to my family's holiday celebration yesterday, and, although I knew we had to go, I didn't want to stop working on it. So, when we got home, I ran downstairs and worked on it until midnight. I can't wait to get back to it now. I was unsure of my new plan for these roots up until this. So, hopefully, in the end, they'll look real. We will see! Since I'm making them removable, if they don't work out, I can yank them out and just go look for a piece of real driftwood. I think it will work though!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 12/26/2018, 01:32 PM   #529
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know what you mean, having a mental block. The project is difficult and there's no guarantee it will turn out well. That is exactly what slowed me down, getting my tank back up and running.

But now you've turned the corner and you're off to the races! Happy rootin'!

Unread 12/27/2018, 09:15 AM   #530
McPuff
Registered Member

Whoa that is shaping up nicely. Gives me some ideas for a possible freshy tank. It's been since 2001 for me unless you count my 2.6 gal goldfish tank I set up for the kids a while back. 😉

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2018, 10:20 AM   #531
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Whoa that is shaping up nicely. Gives me some ideas for a possible freshy tank. It's been since 2001 for me unless you count my 2.6 gal goldfish tank I set up for the kids a while back. ��
This will be my first FW tank in 20 years since I set up one for my daughter. That project didn't last long, LOL. This one will. It's a native FW tank. I had one like it in my younger days when I lived at my parent's house, and the tank was awesome and fun. I made the mistake of putting three large crappie in that tank and they ate all of the minnows, shiners, darters and sculpins. Then, I added a big largemouth bass that ate the crappie. After that, the bass committed suicide, so I ate him! It was a sad meal though, because that fish was my pet for about a year before he died.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/02/2019, 07:09 AM   #532
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I made more progress yesterday. First, I glued all of the PVC joints. I tweaked a little bit by bending some more of the existing pipe, then bent and added another pipe. After that, I zip tied it and a couple different thicknesses of rope to help break up the straight edges and give the main roots more bulk. Next, I'll use a hot glue gun to affix the rope a little more in strategic places, maybe add some more, to create more knots and ridges and stuff, and add more detail. I may add some smaller "twigs" as well in strategic places. Once I'm done with that detail, it will be time to foam, to get rid of straight edges and evidence of pipe fittings, and to consolidate the pipe and rope into the overall shape of each root. I'll have to do some carving and sanding after that to finalize the shape. Once that's done, I'll coat it with grout to give the entire structure rigidity, weight, form, and bulk, and hopefully the overall smooth texture characteristic of sycamore roots. The final step will be to paint the structure with Drylok mixed with cement dye to seal everything in and give it a final touch of realism.

The issue that I'm struggling with now, although I'm not near that step, is what color to paint the roots. Should I paint them to look like the roots would look like if not yet submerged? Or, should I paint them to look like they've been underwater a long time. What do you think? I'm leaning toward the latter. Eventually, stuff like algae will build up on them, but I don't think it would look like they do in the wild for years, and I want that realism right away.

Pics of my progress:

I also glued my DIY spray bar for my canister filter together. This will channel water over the top of the roots, while a large powerhead, hidden within the roots, will push water through the roots and the tank and provide most of the flow. I figured that this current arrangement would best mimic current through a natural undercut root against a cliff. I had to trim the root structure and inch or so to get it to fit correctly. Here is what it will look like from above the tank:

The root structure as it looks like today:

Full tank shot:

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/07/2019, 07:10 AM   #533
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I added more structural detail including a tree root knot and an area where bark wore away, and some twig like roots. I also added one more small root to break up the large open space a bit. I was going to apply some hot glue on some key spots so it holds tightly during the foaming step, but, I'm out of hot glue sticks, so I'll have to pick some up tonight. After I hot glue everything in place, then it's foaming time. Here are some pics of the progress:

Some detail added to the long root:

The knot:

The worn spot:

The overall structure:

Fitted in the tank and a close up in the tank:

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/07/2019, 07:56 AM   #534
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looking' good! I have the feeling you're going to have some great looking roots! You say you're going to foam them?

Unread 01/07/2019, 10:33 AM   #535
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I little bit of foam to fill in some gaps and take away straight lines and evidence of fittings, but the bulk of bringing them to life will be done using grout and Drylok.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/07/2019, 12:17 PM   #536
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh, I see. I asked because the foam is nearly impossible to control. You must be planning to trim/shape it after applying it, right?

Unread 01/07/2019, 12:37 PM   #537
lapin
Registered Member

Im very impressed.
I might hate you if that 55 in my garage decides to go fresh water. :-)
Back to the killifish days of old.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 01:10 PM   #538
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Lapin!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/08/2019, 07:31 AM   #539
McPuff
Registered Member

Have you considered using hydraulic cement instead of foam? You'd have an easier time forming it as required. Downside is that you can't do a ton after it cures. But it wouldn't float! e-marco 400 is easy to work with and will even cure when wet. No leaching either.

Looks really good so far.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 09:35 AM   #540
Heuristic
Registered Member

I can't wait to see what this freshwater tank looks like at the end

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 01:45 PM   #541
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you McPuff and Heuristic! I plan on using a good bit of grout, and may thicken it up a bit for some of the thicker roots. I'd like to keep the foam to a minimum. I thought about using hydraulic cement, but went with grout instead. It's a big experiment for me, for sure. I'm hoping that there won't be enough foam to float the structure.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/08/2019, 01:48 PM   #542
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Here's an interesting video I shot the other day. I went to feed my invert 20g high tank, and noticed this freaky worm swimming fast around my tank. At first, I thought it might e a new species, but after doing some research on the net, it's probably one of the clamworms sporting a swimming reproductive phase. I read that they're mouthparts are useless at this stage, as is their digestive tract, and that they'll die after they've spawned. I think that is the case. If someone knows more, please post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVBUAAEIdI

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/09/2019, 10:49 PM   #543
Heuristic
Registered Member

Looks like that thing is going to end up being glass nem food LOL

Unread 01/10/2019, 07:59 AM   #544
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Look what I found in my tank last night! I spend time each day watching this tank, and let me tell you that I thought that I knew what was going on at every inch of visible space in the tank. But, last night, right in front, I found a new plant sprouting up, and I think it is widgeon grass. For those that have followed my thread, you may remember that I've introduced this grass in my tank many times, and each time it has died off. The key to getting it to grow is to make sure it roots, and although, I tried to do that, it never worked. Well, now this sprout appears on it's own, and I couldn't be happier. It may be too early to ID it, because it could be another form of algae, but it sure looks like widgeon grass to me. So, I guess this makes my tank a sea grass tank now!!! If this stuff tanks off, maybe it can out-compete the other less desirable forms of algae and slime. Anyway, here's a pic of it, followed by a video of it and a general pan of the fish to show you how their doing.

Here's the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4iOSieLAI8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Looks like that thing is going to end up being glass nem food LOL
Yeah, I watched this worm swim around the tank for about a half hour, and it stuck into that same ghost anemone about a dozen times, each time, wriggling itself free. I thought it might meet its doom eventually. I don't know what happened to it. But, it's my understanding that once they release their gametes, they die anyway.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/10/2019, 08:37 AM   #545
Heuristic
Registered Member

Wow, that's pretty damn cool

Unread 01/10/2019, 11:03 AM   #546
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, that looks like a sea grass to me! That would be so cool if it takes off! I'm crossing my fingers! Great vid too!

Unread 01/10/2019, 11:05 AM   #547
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael (and Heuristic too). It would be really cool if it took off. Maybe my sand bed is just right at this stage to support grasses, and before it was nutrient poor? But, even if it only lives short term, it gives me hope that these grasses may work out once I get my build going and use a better light (and build the substrate using your methods or similar).

It doesn't take much to get me excited, LOL. A swimming worm...a blade of grass...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/10/2019, 07:33 PM   #548
Heuristic
Registered Member

That really is the draw to me with reef tanks and stuff though, you constantly find new things that pop up. Coral growth, random hitchhikers all sorts of things(in your case, worms and grass). That's what makes it fun

Unread 01/16/2019, 10:13 AM   #549
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Update on the roots:

I was able to work on my background and roots again this past weekend. First, I used a hot glue gun to secure all of the root structural pieces and fill in some of the smaller gaps. I may do more of this in the future.

After that, I used Beckett's Pond Foam to fill in the gap in the background between the center and left piece. It turned out well, so I'm pleased.

Then, I used the spray foam on the roots to fill in gaps and add some bulk to the root structure. It was a messy process, and it expanded a lot more than what I think the directions stated, so I'll have plenty of carving and sanding to do to transform the structure from a bunch of pipe with blobs to a more realistic root structure. Overall, I'm pleased with the result. I've never carved this stuff before, so I'll have to experiment on what tools to use. Below are some pics of the roots after foaming.

The foamed root structure:

The knot:

The eroded root:

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/16/2019, 01:26 PM   #550
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks great! Nice work, Kevin! I can't wait to see if finished!