Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2021, 11:26 PM   #1
cpballer
Registered Member

Baking soda for alkalinity

What is the right amount of baking soda to bake and to put in 1 gallon jug? I seen people on YouTube use 1lb(one box) then I seen the “recepi #1” Then there’s recepi #2. I just wanna make 1 gallon jug and dose manually. Also it says on the calculator from dr Farley-Holmes recepi#1 calculator that’s I would need 217 ml of it to reach my desired level. Can I do this over 2 weeks? Like 217 ml divided by 14 days? Also I’m planning to use Seachem reef advantage calcium, is that ok to use something else for two part and not use dr Farley Holmes calcium part. Thanks

cpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2021, 07:38 AM   #2
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Have you seen this article? It'll tell you everything you need to know.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

You're supposed to bake 2 1/4 cups of baking soda, then add it to a gallon of RODI. That makes the alkalinity part.

For dosing, you test your water, wait a week or so, then test again. Go to the calculator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) and find out how much alkalinity you need to add to bring it back up to normal, then divide that by 7 (or the number of days you waited). That's how you figure out your daily dose.

I don't know about using something else for Randy's calcium part, I would just recommend making it. It's the cheapest option out there and works just as well.

Make sense?

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2021, 03:56 PM   #3
outssider
Registered Member

no need to bake. baking soda works fine right out of the box.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2021, 06:11 PM   #4
zheka757
Registered Member

used it out of the box as well for some time, until i got my self calcium reactor.

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2021, 08:04 PM   #5
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Baking soda will raise alk but not have much effect on PH so it can be used to raise alk. Baked baking soda (sodium carbonate) will raise alk as well as ph.

So if you have a higher pH go with baking soda, if you have a lower PH bake the baking soda to make sodium carbonate.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 02:31 PM   #6
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Why not just drip Kalwasser at night when your tank is on a reverse light cycle? It works and there is little guess work involved as far as how to use...just drip it slowly. Not hating just tossing that out there for thought...

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 03:15 PM   #7
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaexpat2 View Post
Why not just drip Kalwasser at night when your tank is on a reverse light cycle? It works and there is little guess work involved as far as how to use...just drip it slowly. Not hating just tossing that out there for thought...
Not that I’ve tried this, but it seems like simply dripping it slowly without any measurement wouldn’t work. I believe baking soda is better at raising alk anyway.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2021, 09:00 PM   #8
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Its a great way to raise Alk only. But dont forget that there are several things that effect water Chemistry and many are tied together. I have just found that Kalk +2 is really good at keeping Alk, Calcium, Magnesium and Stronium at the proper ratio easier and better than lot of other things....

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote