Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 11:44 AM   #1
whiteshark
Registered Member

Apex Classic Display Module Issues

I suppose I should post this here too:

So Thursday I came home and my Apex Classic display module is blank with just a backlight. I searched and found that this isn't all that uncommon. I attempted to update the display module firmware, but turns out I'm disconnected from Fusion despite being hard wired to the home modem. So I tried to access the classic dashboard. The connection keeps timing out. I downloaded the Apex Utility to do a total system firmware update knowing it needs one. The Apex Utility detects the Apex, but can't communicate with it.

I emailed Neptune on Thursday, got the confirmation email, but never got a response. I'm nervous because I can't access the controller in any way. Does anyone have any insight? I'd prefer to troubleshoot this as opposed to buying an entire new Apex, but I've exhausted my options and don't want to leave this in a state where I can't access my controller.

Thanks!

Unread 03/11/2018, 07:37 AM   #2
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

Okay put a flashlight up at the display. You will be able to see what's on the display. Now goto setting. Goto display and goto daytime brightness and turn up your brightness. That should fix your problem.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:37 AM   #3
whiteshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buganddoug View Post
Okay put a flashlight up at the display. You will be able to see what's on the display. Now goto setting. Goto display and goto daytime brightness and turn up your brightness. That should fix your problem.
The display is now displaying a bunch of characters and numbers. It's definitely not a brightness issue. I know the display software is old. I got the classic dashboard to work again, did a firmware then webpage update, both of which were successful. Now I am trying to update the firmware on the modules. That isn't working at all though. All it says is that the update will begin in 10 seconds, but nothing happens.

Unread 03/11/2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

Okay sorry I missed understood.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 06:07 PM   #5
whiteshark
Registered Member

Neptune customer service was great! Got it back up and running. Turns out it was a couple things. First I had a faulty ethernet cord. Lesson learned; it's worth a few extra bucks to get something that will last longer than a couple weeks. Second, I had to do a firmware update on the display module through the classic dashboard. For some reason I has like 6 ghost display profiles. Cleaned them up, updated the correct module, and all is good again!

Many thanks to jonmos75! I don't know what happened, but Neptune did try to respond to my email. For some reason the first one never went through, but they responded within hours. Once I actually received the email, they stayed in constant contact until the issue was resolved.

Unread 04/21/2018, 10:50 AM   #6
rockscuba54
Registered Member

Replace mine with all new Apex Classic

I wished that I read this forum, before I messed up mine.. My display did the same thing. So I unplugged it.. I can still look at my laptop for info. Months went by.. my apex is kind of a hard to reach location, And I forgot where my display wire went.. (I have a Lunar Mod) fumbled around trying to plug back in the main controller , and shorted some of it out.. So, long story, short.. I bought a new Apex Classic. My Bad!. Had to reprogramed, everything again, since it's a different serial number, on the new one.. Like I've had the old one going for 5 years.. Anyway, After I have everything set up again.. I just unplug my display, since I don't really need it, unless I have to find a new Ip address .. Lesson Learn.. My back screen was lite up, but no info, like yours. Question is, I have my 8 outlet still.. A little afraid to use it on my new one. I don't have to, but I sure hate to burn up my new equipment , So, just going with the all new.. Though about selling the 8 outlet, but would feel bad, if it ruined some else controller .. So, might just garbage it all.

rockscuba54 is offline   Reply With Quote