Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 06:44 PM   #5876
carrots
Registered Member

The price of the medium juvi Regals at LA. was too hard to resist. Today in a moment of weakness I placed an order. Fingers crossed that it arrives healthy and a little bigger then the current 3.5 inch Regal in my tank now. My hope is that if it is bigger it will help keep aggression from the established Regal Angel to a minimum.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:15 PM   #5877
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
The price of the medium juvi Regals at LA. was too hard to resist. Today in a moment of weakness I placed an order. Fingers crossed that it arrives healthy and a little bigger then the current 3.5 inch Regal in my tank now. My hope is that if it is bigger it will help keep aggression from the established Regal Angel to a minimum.
It will definitely be smaller that 3 1/2 inches. They come in at around 2” - 2 1/2”

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 10:09 AM   #5878
Hooligan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I have my pair of interrupta almost a year now. Here they are doing their mating dance which happens every evening when the actinic comes on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDZPK0PV3c4
Nick, while we're off the rails, I wanted to first of all commend you on your beautiful aquarium, fish, and photography skills!

If you don't mind, regarding the C. interrupta, I'm wondering at what temperature you maintain your system and if you know where they were collected?

Thanks!

Unread 04/22/2018, 10:32 AM   #5879
this is me
Registered Member

These came from Pacific Island Aquatics. Colby told me they’re from Japan. My tank temperature is 76. In the summer time, it may go up to 78. Hardy fish.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 06:23 PM   #5880
luckyk0505
Registered Member

Any LA Coupon code?

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 06:28 PM   #5881
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyk0505 View Post
Any LA Coupon code?
Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
About $140 with code... LAGOODS

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:15 PM   #5882
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
It will definitely be smaller that 3 1/2 inches. They come in at around 2” - 2 1/2”
Yep - mine came in around 2-2 1/4

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:34 AM   #5883
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Hi Nick

your giganteas thrive in such low temp? my tanks running at 79-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
These came from Pacific Island Aquatics. Colby told me they’re from Japan. My tank temperature is 76. In the summer time, it may go up to 78. Hardy fish.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:46 AM   #5884
this is me
Registered Member

I haven't seen any issue with them running at low temperature. They're not getting bigger, but I don't want them any bigger. Lol. I'm pretty sure if I move them to the top flats, they will expand and get bigger but I also like my SPS.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 04/23/2018, 06:47 AM   #5885
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcgookey View Post
Yep - mine came in around 2-2 1/4
Good luck with your Regals from LA. They came in healthy and nice size for me when I got mine. All three of mine are from LA.

Unread 04/24/2018, 03:28 PM   #5886
luckyk0505
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Thanks!

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 12:51 PM   #5887
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Anyone getting the Juv Regals from DD the past few days?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 04:38 PM   #5888
bidny
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I picked one up today. Coming on Friday. I'll try to update on its state.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 05:00 PM   #5889
carrots
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
I got a medium Juvi on Tuesday. LA did a great job on the shipping. The fish was double bagged and warm. Upon inspection the fish was pale and very thin with some tissue torn away from its dorsal and ventral fins. It is about 3 inches long. As for eating, it has been checking out all foods offered, but not eating anything yet. The fish is not shy at all.

Unread 04/26/2018, 07:59 AM   #5890
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

hello folks,

i bought a Regal angelfish from Petco last week on thrusday. it was eating brine shrimps at the store and it also eat brine shrimp and mysis at home. but the eating is starting to slow down. like he will eat a couple of mysis and then not eating anymore after that. i have to try to feed frequently to entice him. sometime he will bite and sometime he wont. however, the first feeding he will always bite and eat a couple of mysis.

he is not active spend most time under the ledge or in an overhang. he doesnt flashes, he scratch maybe 3 times that i know of since i got him and he flickers his pelvic fins sometime.

are these symtoms of flukes? i look at him very closely and notice no ick.

if these are indeed flukes, and he is in the DT tank, does that mean the whole tank are infected? i put him in the DT to increase his chance of survival.

can i just remove him now and treat him seperately or i have to treat the whole tank? i can not treat Prazis in the DT as i have gigantea and magnifica and those are highly prized items and i do not want to risk them for the regal or any fishes

Unread 04/26/2018, 08:04 AM   #5891
OrionN
Moved on

Try to have his in QT so he does not have to worry about other fish. I use my 40 gal reef as QT system. Add a damsel or two, or clownfish as dither fish that would chase food and entice him to eat. Mix flakes with the frozen food. Most Regal angel favor flakes and pellets over frozen food.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 09:13 AM   #5892
pfan151
Registered Member

Try a fresh clam in the shell. Most will start picking at that. If you have a lot of other fish in your tank he may not get a chance at the clam before it’s picked clean though. How large is it? I have good luck with a half a clam with Masstick spread along the edge of the shell. Regale sometimes take a while to get eating well from the water column.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 04:28 PM   #5893
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Do you guys know if yellow belly from Sumatra are also more hardy?

Unread 04/26/2018, 07:42 PM   #5894
rmcgookey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrots View Post
I got a medium Juvi on Tuesday. LA did a great job on the shipping. The fish was double bagged and warm. Upon inspection the fish was pale and very thin with some tissue torn away from its dorsal and ventral fins. It is about 3 inches long. As for eating, it has been checking out all foods offered, but not eating anything yet. The fish is not shy at all.
I recently received a juvi medium from LA. Check my previous posts for the experience acclimating him and getting him eating.

rmcgookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 05:50 AM   #5895
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
Do you guys know if yellow belly from Sumatra are also more hardy?
The Blueface angels are nice from there? I have never heard anything bad about them

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 09:11 AM   #5896
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I'll share my recent experience.
Had a regal in qt for the past 40 days. Got it eating within the first few days and then treated for flukes with general cure and then cp. the fish ate great no problem the whole time except occasional one/two days of hunger strikes here and there. Got it eating flakes, seaweed and reef frenzy. Was done with all treatments two weeks ago and was getting ready to add her to the display tomorrow But as of yesterday without any symptoms it became listless and wasn't swimming much and found it dead this morning. So sad Not sure what happened but I don't think I will be trying another one in the future. In addition to being really delicate they seem to be really shy and slightest stress or change will cause them to go on a hunger strike. Shame beautiful fish.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 04:40 PM   #5897
Redland
Registered Member

Good start

I got the 3in Regal that was in DD on Wednesday. He arrived yesterday and ate a fair amount of mysis today. A beautiful fish and arrived in great shape.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg REgal.jpg (72.1 KB, 37 views)
Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 05:40 PM   #5898
carrots
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redland View Post
I got the 3in Regal that was in DD on Wednesday. He arrived yesterday and ate a fair amount of mysis today. A beautiful fish and arrived in great shape.
Good to hear. Did you get a gray belly or yellow? Mine came in very thin and pinched in behind the head. It is picking at clam on half shell but not eating anything yet. Five days without eating. Hoping for a brake tomorrow.

Unread 04/28/2018, 08:04 PM   #5899
Redland
Registered Member

Yellow belly, listed as being from the Maldives.

Redland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 02:44 PM   #5900
carrots
Registered Member

Well, after holding out on a 7 day hunger strike my new regal finally gave in and started eating. This morning she came right to the surface where I have been putting food in the tank and shocked me when it almost took pellets from my fingers. It sampled every kind of food I put in the tank. Still showing no signs of parasites. Now I just need to fatten her up.