Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2018, 01:28 AM   #1
Reefheart
Registered Member

Trouble with my carpet nem??

Hi guys, I posted before about this gigantea nem. So far, I have it for 2months now. This recent week, its mouth has been gaping by about at least an inch. The only changes that I did was bring back sg frm 1.024 to 1.025 and increase the ai prime lights by about 10% when i notice the nem is stretching upwards a little. Could this alone cause it to gape and bleach? The dual ai prime settings are 70% on the 4 blue and purple channels, 50% white and 25% red/green. Water parameters:
1.025sg
Nitrates less than 10
Phosphates undetectable
8.2dkh
Temp 77-78f

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5296.jpg (78.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5302.jpg (45.9 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Reefheart; 06/09/2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Attaching pics.
Reefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 04:04 AM   #2
OrionN
Moved on

Can you post a picture? Light change is fine. What do you feed him? How do you increase the salinity?
They stress easy if pH increase too quick like adding alkalinity or kalk too quick. They like temp on the higher side, near 80 rather than lower side (76 or lower)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Reefheart
Registered Member

Hi Minh, I've added the photos, couldn't do it on the phone earlier. AS you can see in the night pic, its gaping.

I will slowly increase the temp to 80. As for alkalinity, I do dose it from when i get the anemone but not sure why it could cause an issue now, unless its a slow build up.

Unread 06/09/2018, 09:58 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I would keep the heater set at 78 or 79. Gigantea May have mouth open a little which may be not a problem

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 06/09/2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Reefheart
Registered Member

I increased the salinity by doing a 20+% water change and topping off with saltwater. I have not target feed it for the past 2 months but a small blenny disappeared around the same time the anemone acting weird last week. Not sure if it ate the blenny.

Unread 06/09/2018, 08:53 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

If he does not deflates I would not worry about it. I remember my first Gigantea that I was able to keep alive have dilated mouth for a long time. Still have dilated mouth from time to time.

Unread 06/10/2018, 09:18 AM   #7
Reefheart
Registered Member

There has not been any obvious deflation, but some days not as "fluffy" as the others. Should I try feeding it small pieces of food?

Unread 06/11/2018, 05:30 AM   #8
OrionN
Moved on

Your anemone seem OK. I would not worry too much about it.
This is the thread back in 2012 when I first able to keep my current Purple Gigantea. On page 2-3, I was worrying about open mouth like what you are right now. A lot of the photos were loss but fortunately, the photo of the open mouth as not.
Don't worry too much over it.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2196701

Unread 06/11/2018, 01:01 PM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

Just to ease your mind. Here is the mouth of my healthy Gigantea that have been in my tank for about 5-6 years. Picture taken today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PetcoGiganteaMouth2018061101.jpg (104.1 KB, 69 views)

Unread 06/12/2018, 09:46 AM   #10
Reefheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Just to ease your mind. Here is the mouth of my healthy Gigantea that have been in my tank for about 5-6 years. Picture taken today.
Thanks for sharing. Probably like yours, this anemone of mine has a big/dilated mouth by its nature. Fingers crossed.