Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2011, 10:21 PM   #1
viks
Registered Member

New Tank - Algae

Hi Guys.

I've had my tank set up for 3 weeks now, ammonia is at 0 , and nitrates are slowing creeping down. I have a lot of brown diatom and also I'm noticing green hair algae growing. Not sure what to do now? I've only been running carbon, should I run my GFO too? Or should I wait?

Please help.
Viks

viks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Thatgrimguy
Registered Member

Do a water change and add a Cuc. Are your nitrite 0?

Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2011, 10:56 PM   #3
viks
Registered Member

Very close to 0, I think it will be in a few days. Should I run my gfo? I have the dual reactor from BRS. I don't want this to get out of control.

Unread 08/10/2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Thatgrimguy
Registered Member

I would go ahead with the water change and start running my gfo and skimmer. Keep the lights off though, because all it will do is promote more diatom growth.

Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2011, 11:42 PM   #5
vorm
Registered Member

Well, the good news is that it appears you are nearing the end of the cycle. The bad news is that the diatoms and algae are probably going to get a lot worse before they get better.

I'm assuming your nitrites are down to 0, or almost. But if it was me, I'd go ahead and turn on your skimmer and GFO. Water change, and then wait a few days and test and make sure everything is stabilized and ammonia and nitrite are holding at 0. Hopefully Nitrate will be pretty low as well. Then add CUC.

vorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2011, 11:44 PM   #6
viks
Registered Member

Thanks.

Unread 08/11/2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Andrew17030
Moved On

Wait and if you don't have anything in the tank turn the light off. I wouldn't run anything but a skimmer and do your water changes. Let your system establish a bacterial population that will manage your PO4 before your start removing it chemically. Try an establish a "filtration method" if you haven't already. Go to the newbie corner thread stuck at the top of this forum. Read all of the linked articles, of special importance may be the articles on filtration. These will help you understand all of the things you hear people telling you to do or that have worked for them. The understanding of the different methods and recognizing the hybridized trendy spinoffs will help you decide what you want to do and how to accomplish it. Understanding the big picture of the chemical and biological mechanics of your system will serve you well. It is not difficult is just takes a little time. The more you read the BASICS, the easier understanding your tank will be. You could run to the LFS and grab a cup of LIVE SAND if they have any for sale, dump it in and hopefully you got some small infauna in the cup that will play a huge roll in the health of your tank long term. Then next week go to a different LFS and get another cup or two of LIVE SAND throw her in and you have killed two birds with one stone. You scratched the LFS itch that everyone gets and you have made a prudent investment in the future of your tank. Do that for a month you will not regret it if you keep your tank up for a while. It will also give you time to think and plan what you really want to do with your new tank. Good Luck.

Andrew17030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Neil0309
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/newyorks...16/ttR-RO7nXUE

take a look at the above link and check out some of his other vids they are very informative. my tank is 5 months now and i went through the same as you as do all new tanks. unfortunately as vorm has already said they get alot worse before they get better. my algae blooms have only just sorted themselves out. when you get your clean up crew use some turban snails(Tegula funebralis) these have a black foot instead of white. i found them much quicker at tackling the hair algea. 4 cleaned my 30gal in two days and completely got rid of the hair algae. just leave the diatoms and let them run their course. they disappear just as quick as they arrive if you clean them you will soon get fed up of them returning sometimes in the space of an hour.

hope this helps

Neil0309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 07:37 AM   #9
ken6217
Registered Member

You guys are making things more complicated than they are. The algae is normal and part of the maturation process. He mentions ammonia is zero but didn't mention nitrite. Let's assume it is zero and now he has nitrate which is normal. I assume he has live rock? If so, a cup of sand means nothing.

He should do at least a 20% water change. If he has a skimmer, he should have been running it since day 1. If the tank has cycled then he needs a clean up crew of snails and crabs. I don't know why this wasn't mentioned yet.

There is nothing wrong running a GFO. There is nothing in the tank that he will be populating on its own to get rid of phosphate, unless it is chaeto etc.

There is nothing wrong with having the lights on, especially if he wants to keep any of the coralline algae that has died off together.
Ken

ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 08:14 AM   #10
viks
Registered Member

Thanks guys. When I set my tank up I seeded it with live sand and a couple of pieces of live rock. Yes ammonia and nitirite read 0, and as I said nitrates is nearly 0. I've turned the skimmer, and will run the lights for only a couple of hours. I'll start doing a water change tonight. Also, started running just a little GFO. Im not concerned about the diatoms as much as the GHA. I just don't want that to run riot.

Unread 08/11/2011, 08:22 AM   #11
zigzag1
Registered Member

+1 for starting your water change routine, running GFO, carbon, and skimmer/lighting now that you're cycled. GL!

Mixed Reef, started 10/2004: 6' BB 125g DT, 100lbs LR, 40g sump, Dual Ehiem 1000 returns, Eshopps dual overflow, JBJ ATO, Vertex IN-180, PM Ca reactor, 250w MH w/VHO Actinic, AC3 w/Aquasurf, Tunze 6105 pair & 40B frag tank

8 Fish, 20+ corals, shrimp, snails, worms, bugs, etc.
zigzag1 is offline   Reply With Quote