Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:00 AM   #1
That New Guy
Registered Member

Controller options

Good day! I'm looking at a controller for a new frag tank. I was going to just get the Reef Keeper but it looks entirely discontinued.

From an entire weekend of research it appears my options are an Apex or GLH, which are both quite expensive and robust for my needs. Does anyone have advice on any other options?

Thanks!

That New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 10:12 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

ReefAngel

What do you want it to do?
Many lights/pumps,etc.. already have their own controllers..
There are also simple wifi powerstrips now that can automate things if thats all you need..

Often times salinity/ph sensors aren't that useful..

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I know nothing about this model but ----

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2698387

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:18 AM   #4
That New Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
ReefAngel

What do you want it to do?
Many lights/pumps,etc.. already have their own controllers..
There are also simple wifi powerstrips now that can automate things if thats all you need..

Often times salinity/ph sensors aren't that useful..
Mostly a wifi / communication device to let me know if things become catastrophically bad; like temp hits 80 degrees, or pH hits 6, etc. The main thing I'd like to actually monitor are temp, pH for swings, and probably salinity since it's attached to a 50 gallon ATO reservoir that could prove to be a problem easily if a pump gets stuck.

That New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 02:29 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Get a ranco temp controller..
Accept that monitoring pH is basically useless..
And utilize an ATO with max run time function and/or an extra "too high" float sensor.. (think most have that already)

No need for a controller .. Saved you a ton..

Unread 08/12/2019, 02:53 PM   #6
cvrle1
Registered Member

As mcgyvr pointed out, there are ways of going about without controller. If you absolutely want to have one, and have the know-how, look into reef-pi project. It is a controller made using Raspberry Pi and can do a lot of things you mentioned. You need to build it yourself, so if you never played with Pi, then maybe it is not the best idea however.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 07:51 PM   #7
saf1
Registered Member

I'm biased towards the Apex and Reef Angel. Reef Angel for open source and more affordable entry point. Some of the custom libraries people developed are far superior to anything Neptune or GHL can do believe it or not. Geo locations, truly random storms and lightning effects, various tidal simulations (high and low tides), etc. May sound like a useless feature to this day on my Apex I wish I had such a custom library

Over the counter shrink wrap and if you live in the US the Neptune Apex is pretty much the standard. Similar to Cisco in networking the Apex has just about every option covered. You will pay a premium but it is there if you so choose.

Also over the counter but not as widely carried is GHL. Never used one but did consider it. Nice form factor, prettier to look at compared to the other two. I'm sure it works and well but I can't say much because I've not really used one.

There is of course DIY like the Reef Pi's out there if you choose. In any case there you have it. Cheaper entry point Reef Angel if you have coding skills or want to learn. Closed system Neptune or GHL.

Best of luck.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2019, 08:11 PM   #8
tmnails
Registered Member

Definitely interested. I'm not to the point of buying a controller yet, but I think I'd have the same basic needs as you when I'm in the market. Let us know what you land on!

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote