Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Wine Country Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Anybody having either successes or failures they care to share?

Hello club.

It's been quiet. Does that mean everyone's tank is humming along nicely?

Have a success story to tell? Wish to boast about something doing well?

Or do you have an issue you'd like to discuss? Maybe someone else has dealt with it too.

Feel free to include pictures.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 10:02 PM   #2
andrepeixoto
Registered Member

I moved to Petaluma in July, so I'm on full reset mode.
Empty tank, 3 buckets of live rocks and haven't decide yet what the new system is going to be, but as soon I start up again I will create a new thread about it.

andrepeixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Welcome to Ptown Andre!

I look forward to seeing what direction you end up going and will keep an eye out for your tank resurrection thread.

What are other people up to?

Unread 10/20/2018, 11:11 AM   #4
mav3rick478
Registered Member

We moved as well but stayed in Santa Rosa, a block away from Herbert Slater Middle School which is perfect for my daughter because she can walk to school now. Unfortunately the tank did not move very well, lost my BTAs, lawnmower blenny, Pearlberry, most of my chalice and parts of my Blasto. Think after a month I finally got the tank stabilized. I really need to finish putting my other tank together so I can transfer everything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 01:24 PM   #5
thysrof
Registered Member

I am Happy to say my tank is doing really well. After the interceptor treatment 10 or so months ago that caused a heavy die off of SPS. I had quite a bit of aptasia and bubble algae and I bought several peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs and they took care of all of it. Everything is really happy and the tank is thriving.

thysrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Sorry to hear about your losses Yuri. Was there a primary cause (aside from moving the tank), like too long without heat or circulation? Something people could learn and benefit from your experience?

I hear your wanting to get your other tank together. Sounds really familiar! I'm still running my 60g flat in my garage instead of the beautiful 120 in the living room. Still stalled on stand work. Maybe this winter instead of gardening I can get that moving forward again. I am pleased my Chevron is doing ok despite its suboptimal enclosure. Most of my SPS long ago expressed their dissatisfaction with my way too lengthy tank swap process and their temporary housing. My Euphyllia are looking good though.

Bob, that sounds terrific about your current success! Way to go! You have worked long and hard to achieve that. Congratulations!

Unread 10/21/2018, 04:44 PM   #7
MarAquatic
Registered Member

I'm in Petaluma if you ever need anything

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 11:28 PM   #8
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Sorry to hear about your losses Yuri. Was there a primary cause (aside from moving the tank), like too long without heat or circulation? Something people could learn and benefit from your experience?

I hear your wanting to get your other tank together. Sounds really familiar! I'm still running my 60g flat in my garage instead of the beautiful 120 in the living room. Still stalled on stand work. Maybe this winter instead of gardening I can get that moving forward again. I am pleased my Chevron is doing ok despite its suboptimal enclosure. Most of my SPS long ago expressed their dissatisfaction with my way too lengthy tank swap process and their temporary housing. My Euphyllia are looking good though.

Bob, that sounds terrific about your current success! Way to go! You have worked long and hard to achieve that. Congratulations!
It's probably from neglect, they went a long time without a water change but they seemed ok then. Actually during the hours while we were moving I placed all my corals in a bucket and used the pump from my HOB refugium to move water. Fish were kept in another bucket with a small powerhead to move water also. Although my RBTA was in a Tupperware with holes floating in the bucket with the fish. That didn't bode well for my cleaner shrimp and my pyjama cardinal, shrimp died before getting returned to the tank and cardinal ended up with fin rot but is finally on the mends and had grown back most of his dorsal and side find. My lawnmower blenny disappeared a week after the move and I didn't find him on the ground either.

As I was deciding where I wanted to put the anemones I kept them in the Tupperware for a few days with the powerhead blowing towards them as they floated in the tank but I guess it was too much stress for them and they started to melt. My chalice was already declining before the move probably because I wasn't keeping the kalkwasser solution potent enough before the move and I wasn't feeding the corals about 2 weeks prior. The Blasto just started to recede after the move for no reason but has finally stabilized. Too bad though because I lost the big heads. The Pearlberry and Stylo probably just got too stressed and went RTN. All my acans, polyps, favites and other chalice survived without any issues.

I'm guessing the main cause was neglect and bad husbandry although I bet if I didn't move and just changed water and started feeding the corals again they all would've bounced back no problem because I've done that before and gone about a month without changing water but didn't lose anything. The tank move was probably the kicker since it was an all day affair.

If I could do it again I wouldn't have taken so long to put the tank back up, I would've drained and moved and reset up right away but when you're moving nothing ever goes to plan. So everything was in buckets for a good 8 hours, tank had an inch of water above the sand and Rick's were just in the tank.

Oh the best part of it all was my wrasse was buried in the sand the whole time and reappeared a few days after the tank was up and running. Surprisingly I didn't smash him while redoing my rock scape.

Unread 11/04/2018, 12:55 PM   #9
d_carloo
Registered Member

I just did a water change in almost a year
I don't have that many corals any more, but ones I get back in it,
I'll get some more

Current Tank Info: 120 gallons
d_carloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Hey Carlos! Glad to hear your tank is still going. I did a water change yesterday also. And replaced my T5 bulbs.

Unread 11/06/2018, 10:24 PM   #11
d_carloo
Registered Member

thanks Ken maybe I'll make it to the next meed

Current Tank Info: 120 gallons
d_carloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 06:55 AM   #12
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Please do!

I am happy to report that changing my nasty old bulbs last weekend has resulted in a noticeable improvement in my corals. I'm getting much better polyp extension and "interest in living" that has been somewhat lacking recently.

Unread 11/10/2018, 08:42 PM   #13
NeonFish
Registered Member

about 9 months ago I added Clearwater Algae scrubber. It is very effective.

NeonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 11:21 PM   #14
Dragonvale
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I got bored and getting very very low balled on the 120 with live rocks. Can't wait to get the new setup going so I can have motivation and new inspiration on a aquascape etc... I have everything for the new tank in the garage just looking into a new reef unit and maybe a new skimmer but we will see. I still have the frag tank which keeps me hooked. Jumped into the flowerhorn scene which took some attention away from reefing also.

Dragonvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 07:46 AM   #15
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Interesting NeonFish. How was setup? Do you have to mess with it much?

Hey Dragon. I look forward to a build thread when you get new things going. "New reef unit" = new controller? Flowerhorns can be distracting.

Unread 11/11/2018, 10:22 PM   #16
NeonFish
Registered Member

looks like this. it dumps the water straight into the return portion. I clear up the mesh about every 2 weeks. algae in the display has diminished.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clearwateralgaescrubber.jpg (24.8 KB, 16 views)
Unread 11/11/2018, 10:31 PM   #17
NeonFish
Registered Member

here's what my tank looks like now. I lost most of my corals, was too busy so I didn't do take care of if as well as I had. Pretty much green zooanthids and at least 3 kinds of mushrooms are left. planning on new corals. The scrubber helped clean the tank greatly and now I'm getting the chemistry right to have corals again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_240_60.jpg (52.5 KB, 21 views)
Unread 11/21/2018, 11:42 AM   #18
edolan
Registered Member

I have been having a hard time keeping my pH above 7.8 since the fire started. I have been trying to air out the place a little but many days the smell was horrible and I couldn't open up the doors and windows. It seems my corals are suffering now. Very grateful for the rain. Looking forward to seeing pH above 8 again

edolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 12:56 PM   #19
mav3rick478
Registered Member

One of the reasons I always have Kalk in my top off is to help with pH since my wife has bad allergies and we need to keep the house closed up all year round.

Unread 11/21/2018, 03:33 PM   #20
edolan
Registered Member

I will have to try that. Thx

edolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Way to share issues and solutions gentlemen! This is what I see as one of the primary missions / functions of our club, to help each other. Keep it up.