Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2018, 09:05 PM   #2851
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolliolli View Post
I haven’t tried to use it as a dosing pump yet - but if I was going to I would run it intermittently rather than constantly. For my pH it typically swung between 7.6 and 7.9/8 and that was running a co2 scrubber and a second media filled chamber. With the dosing pump I have been using pH has consistently been between 8.15 and 8.3/4 and the growth has sped up.
Sorry, having a hard time following the last part. What did you start dosing that increased your pH that far? That’s a huge difference. Are you using a dosing pump on your calcium reactor? Is your all demand still being met? Are you dosingnon a schedule on the calcium reactor?

I’m certainly interested in getting rid of my co2 scrubber by my ph was low before I ever put in the calcium reactor.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 09:07 PM   #2852
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Planing to setup my new geos 6x18 calcium reactor with a secondary chamber. Its a little too big for my tank which is 90 gallons acro only system but I have plans to upgrade later this year .
Got aquarium plants regulator and waiting to get my masterflex pump.
I know people often recommend to pull water from the reactor than to push it with masterflex.
Stupid question but please help me understand how do you pull water ?

Do you pull the water with masterflex pump by connecting to the input of the masterflex pump to the effluent line and then have a maxijet to push water into the reactor ? I believe i should match the masterflex rate to the feed pump ?

Sorry for such basic question !

Regards,
Abhishek
The effluent line is on the input of the master flex pump. The input of the reactor just sits in the water. The pump sucks the water through the reactor instead of pulling it.

Unread 04/20/2018, 09:10 PM   #2853
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
The effluent line is on the input of the master flex pump. The input of the reactor just sits in the water. The pump sucks the water through the reactor instead of pulling it.
Thanks for the reply man ! Am wondering if there will be issues with bubbles getting trapped anywhere . May be I am just overthinking it .

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 09:13 PM   #2854
networkcrasher
Registered Member

I think you’re over thinking it. There’s little difference than pushing or pulling the water. The pull method creates a vacuum which makes leaks stay inside the reactor. The hydrodynamics of where bubbles end up should be similar to both methods

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:03 AM   #2855
hkgar
Registered Member

I think, could be wrong, most of us pull from the tank to the reactor and then back to the tank.

Tube from tank to pump then to reactor then back to tank.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 07:27 AM   #2856
networkcrasher
Registered Member

I go from sump to carx to pump back to sump

Unread 04/21/2018, 02:53 PM   #2857
jolliolli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
Sorry, having a hard time following the last part. What did you start dosing that increased your pH that far? That’s a huge difference. Are you using a dosing pump on your calcium reactor? Is your all demand still being met? Are you dosingnon a schedule on the calcium reactor?

I’m certainly interested in getting rid of my co2 scrubber by my ph was low before I ever put in the calcium reactor.

Hi, sorry I should have explained that better. Up until. Couple of weeks ago I was using a calcium reactor (deltec pf501) fed by a masterflex l/s 7551 for maintaining calcium / alkalinity in my tank. The calcium reactor was controlled by a pH controller which turned on the co2 when pH in the reactor rose to 6.4.

During this tume I also monitored pH in the sump and it generally sat at a low of 7.7 at night/ early morning and rose as high as 7.9 during the day.

Then I had a power surge and it blew a circuit board in my masterflex pump. As a result I had to cease using the calcium reactor and switched to dosing a two-part calcium / alkalinity mix (Randy’s recipe), dosed via a bubble magus dosing pump. Since then I have had a massive pH jump and growth rates have increased. This leads me to believe that excess co2 in the effluent stream from the co2 reactor is the cause of my low pH. Now I need to decide whether to go back to a calcium reactor or switch to using a dosing pump

jolliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 12:57 PM   #2858
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, sorry I should have explained that better. Up until. Couple of weeks ago I was using a calcium reactor (deltec pf501) fed by a masterflex l/s 7551 for maintaining calcium / alkalinity in my tank. The calcium reactor was controlled by a pH controller which turned on the co2 when pH in the reactor rose to 6.4.

During this tume I also monitored pH in the sump and it generally sat at a low of 7.7 at night/ early morning and rose as high as 7.9 during the day.

Then I had a power surge and it blew a circuit board in my masterflex pump. As a result I had to cease using the calcium reactor and switched to dosing a two-part calcium / alkalinity mix (Randy’s recipe), dosed via a bubble magus dosing pump. Since then I have had a massive pH jump and growth rates have increased. This leads me to believe that excess co2 in the effluent stream from the co2 reactor is the cause of my low pH. Now I need to decide whether to go back to a calcium reactor or switch to using a dosing pump
I am dosing about 2.3 dKH/day with my ReefOctopus pumping 100/ml/hour and ph reaches 7.9 and I see nothing to worry about but am curious as to what would. I had been dosing saturatide Kalk but still pretty much ph stayed at 7.9,

Has the dKH level changed? What about calcium?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:53 PM   #2859
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Can someone let me know if a COLE-PARMER Masterflex Microprocessor Pump 7524-10 with Easy Load head 7518-0 good enough ? Am not sure about the noise level on this one as am not sure if its brushless . If anyone has used one, please chime in

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 12:23 AM   #2860
jolliolli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I am dosing about 2.3 dKH/day with my ReefOctopus pumping 100/ml/hour and ph reaches 7.9 and I see nothing to worry about but am curious as to what would. I had been dosing saturatide Kalk but still pretty much ph stayed at 7.9,

Has the dKH level changed? What about calcium?
I still have to find the sweet spot with the dosing pump, I’m dosing 350ml a day of Randy’s recipe at the moment but I’m still not keeping up with consumption, so will have to increase it further.

I had thought about dosing Kalk with the calcium reactor - so interested to hear that you haven’t seen much of a boost to your pH with the Kalk.

jolliolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 08:23 PM   #2861
souk
Registered Member

I've noticed that my sps aren't as happy as they usually are so I tested my alk and it's higher then I like. What would be the best route on bring it down? Back off co2, ramp up m/f, or back off both? TIA

Unread 04/23/2018, 08:40 PM   #2862
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Can someone let me know if a COLE-PARMER Masterflex Microprocessor Pump 7524-10 with Easy Load head 7518-0 good enough ? Am not sure about the noise level on this one as am not sure if its brushless . If anyone has used one, please chime in

Regards,
Abhishek
Not a brushless so it will be fairly noisy. It also looks like its a 60 RPM model which if true makes it not a good choice. Ideally you want 600 rpm model as it will last much longer due to a lower RPM percentage at our usage rates.
https://www.coleparmer.com/i/drive-m...chterm=7524-10

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 10:17 PM   #2863
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk View Post
I've noticed that my sps aren't as happy as they usually are so I tested my alk and it's higher then I like. What would be the best route on bring it down? Back off co2, ramp up m/f, or back off both? TIA
Back off CO2.

The question I have is why is it higher? Was the tank stable with this setup? If so, the SPS may not be consuming as much and that is why the tank went higher. Check everything, do not just assume it is because of higher alk.

This setup should be very stable and anytime it went from balanced to too high of alk I would be concerned that there is something reducing consumption. High phosphates among other things can inhibit calcification.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 11:00 PM   #2864
souk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Back off CO2.

The question I have is why is it higher? Was the tank stable with this setup? If so, the SPS may not be consuming as much and that is why the tank went higher. Check everything, do not just assume it is because of higher alk.

This setup should be very stable and anytime it went from balanced to too high of alk I would be concerned that there is something reducing consumption. High phosphates among other things can inhibit calcification.
That didn't cross my mind, thank you for bringing it up! I sold a huge colony and some frags recently. That and now that you mentioned PO4. I just tested it 2 days ago and it is also higher then usual. GFO was changed and since have noticed that the SPS is starting to slime at the base again. I backed off the CO2 this morning and will continue to monitor alk daily to see where it will settle. Thanks again!

Unread 04/28/2018, 02:55 PM   #2865
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
I still have to find the sweet spot with the dosing pump, I’m dosing 350ml a day of Randy’s recipe at the moment but I’m still not keeping up with consumption, so will have to increase it further.

I had thought about dosing Kalk with the calcium reactor - so interested to hear that you haven’t seen much of a boost to your pH with the Kalk.
How large is your tank?

Unread 05/06/2018, 10:13 AM   #2866
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

apologies if already asked inside this 50+ pg thread

As you might know- I've been reefing for a long time. I just set up a new 265 with my GEO 624 + Carbondoser CaRx.
The needle valve thing gets old.
I already have a peristaltic pump here- my Spectrapure Litermeter.
Could a Litermeter be used to pull from my GEO?
It doesn't seem like a novel idea to me...is anybody doing this?

great thread from what I had time to read- TIA

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 10:24 AM   #2867
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
As you might know- I've been reefing for a long time. I just set up a new 265 with my GEO 624 + Carbondoser CaRx.

The needle valve thing gets old.

I already have a peristaltic pump here- my Spectrapure Litermeter.

Could a Litermeter be used to pull from my GEO?

It doesn't seem like a novel idea to me...is anybody doing this?

great thread from what I had time to read- TIA

There litermeter pumps are not meant for continuous cycle. Will burn out over time plus you can't adjust the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 10:33 AM   #2868
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

I realize Litermeter works a little differently than some of the other pumps being mentioned in this thread...
but it DOES work continuously and I CAN adjust the flow.
Been using one for over a decade now to dose kalk.

Unread 05/06/2018, 11:12 AM   #2869
alemone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
I realize Litermeter works a little differently than some of the other pumps being mentioned in this thread...
but it DOES work continuously and I CAN adjust the flow.
Been using one for over a decade now to dose kalk.
Of course, you can run it continuously. The question is how long will it last if you do.

alemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 11:25 AM   #2870
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Litermeter doses not continuously...but incrementally.
I would base rate of dosage on demand...just as I do with kalk for evap

Unread 05/06/2018, 12:19 PM   #2871
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

I'm loving my new-to-me Masterflex. However, if the power goes out I have to manually restart it. Is there a setting change I can make to prevent me having to do this? Unfortunately, my power went out briefly one day and I didn't notice that the pump was not running until 2 days later. Now I find myself checking on it daily.

IdahoCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2018, 12:55 PM   #2872
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
I'm loving my new-to-me Masterflex. However, if the power goes out I have to manually restart it. Is there a setting change I can make to prevent me having to do this? Unfortunately, my power went out briefly one day and I didn't notice that the pump was not running until 2 days later. Now I find myself checking on it daily.
I am pretty sure all Masterflex have a way of setting auto restart. I have mine set up that way.

go to www.coleparmer.com and enter your pump model and find the intruction manual.

Unread 05/06/2018, 03:27 PM   #2873
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Gary, the Litremeter itself has not been mentioned for a reactor but one of the pumps has.
I think it's the ultra precise ATO.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me with the right model.

Unread 05/06/2018, 04:02 PM   #2874
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
Depending on the model, some have the ability to automatically start on power on. I know my 7523-80 does.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 04:51 PM   #2875
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Gary, the Litremeter itself has not been mentioned for a reactor but one of the pumps has.
I think it's the ultra precise ATO.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me with the right model.
Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.