Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2008, 03:43 PM   #1
beaniebeagle
Registered Member

help troubleshooting, MH ballast not lighting the bulb

i have a 400watt hydrofarm MH ballast

the light no longer comes on, it was a new bulb

i sent the ballast back, took a few weeks to come back to me...they stated it was ok

tried another bulb...no light

before i go another few weeks without light, because it takes that long to get everything back, i tried several things

i took the cord/socket for the bulb set apart, there is power from both the white and black wires......is this the way these ballasts work???(i called the tech department and they weren't sure)

and when i used a voltmeter between the white and black wires...nothing
but when you use either the black or white and touch the ground, I get the 110volts

do you think the above is ok?? if it is, then i could just get a new socket for the bulb instead of waiting a few weeks for things to return in the mail

Current Tank Info: 120g,1260 eheim,reef octo skimmer,vortechs x2,tek 8X54w, 2 false percs,1 bartlett anthia, 1 baby mandarin, 2 purple firefish, 2 green gobies, 1 citron goby, 1 bengai cardinal
beaniebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2008, 09:32 PM   #2
PaulErik
Premium Member

Something is not right. You should be getting a voltage reading between the 2 output wires. What model or ANSI ballast is it?

PaulErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2008, 01:05 PM   #3
beaniebeagle
Registered Member

the ansi code on the bulb is m59/e

hydrofarm radiant ballast

Current Tank Info: 120g,1260 eheim,reef octo skimmer,vortechs x2,tek 8X54w, 2 false percs,1 bartlett anthia, 1 baby mandarin, 2 purple firefish, 2 green gobies, 1 citron goby, 1 bengai cardinal
beaniebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2008, 01:20 PM   #4
PaulErik
Premium Member

If the ballast is an ANSI M59 (standard metal halide magnetic 400-watt) ballast the True RMS voltage should be 250-360 Volts AC. If the reading is lower or you get no reading between the ballast output wires this would indicate something is not wired properly or a component has failed.

PaulErik is offline   Reply With Quote