Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2009, 01:26 AM   #1301
Rog7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
hi- id love to be involved with your tank build, pop a link to it on here when you get one up

To Reef Central
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1#post16077332

Rog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 01:41 AM   #1302
Driz
Registered Member

Hello all, I am quite new to the hobby. I've been reading RC forums for awhile now trying to get myself aclimated to everything. I just picked up a decent 120g tank and am slowly getting into putting everything together, also closing on a new house so will have to take my sweet time doing much.

But I do appreciate all the helpful advice all over these forums. Thanks!

Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 03:22 AM   #1303
jaypeeroe
Registered Member

Hello all. My name is JP and my 75g has been up & running for only 6 weeks. I learn something new daily by reading this and the Salt-City.org forums. I find something I want to add/buy more often then that. Looking to add a RO/DI system, Monitor/Controller and hopefully getting my Fuge/Sump, drill tank, etc finished up in the next week or so. Wish I would have done that first, but I got some bunk advice. Live and Learn!

jaypeeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 03:51 AM   #1304
Jaffer Ali
Registered Member

Hi Allll
My name is Jaffer Ali i'm from Kuwait

im into Freshwater Aquarium and now getting to Marine and reef Aquarium
Rc is realy very Big help to me Thank you All

Jaffer Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 03:55 AM   #1305
Gilbert46
Registered Member

Hi everyone. My 55g tank has been up and running 18 months, new 150g is in the process. Looking forward to going big. I'm from Sacramento CA. Check out my into post.

Gilbert46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 07:01 PM   #1306
SaltwaterKitty
Registered Member

Hi everyone!!

My name is Kat and I'm fairly new to SW myself. I've grown up on FW but have always been fascinated with SW, the ocean and all that comes with it.

I just recently purchased a pre-owned (that was up and running) 24g Aquapod and set it up. It's been running just under a week now and I'm thrilled to report it's going great!

I hope to start a tank build diary so everyone can follow along!! Looking forward to soaking up everyone's knowledge and experience!!

Kat

SaltwaterKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 11:13 PM   #1307
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What The? View Post
Hello, I'm new to salt water and reef, but i am a 20 year vet on fresh water.
I am useing a 20 gal reef ( soon to be ) i have crushed coral bottom and 3 pieces of bleached coral and 2 Lb of LR and 2 pieces of granite.
Lighting i have 1 coral sun 420 18 watt, still need some white light.
Right now i will be happy if i can get the LR to flourish and spread.
You need about 20 lbs of live rock in that 20 gal. I don't quite know what you meant by the live rock flourishing and spreading. Live rock does not grow---the bacteria on it and in it do and are the main biological filtration of your tank.

To Reef Central
Unlike fresh water where you have to take out nitrates by water changes, the bacteria in and on the live rock take care of nitrates in a salt water tank.
This is why it is important to have at least 1 lbs of live rock per gallon in a salt water tank.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 11:15 PM   #1308
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kUNTEKENTE View Post
Hey, all my name is Kent and I am 5 years into a great hobby. Just set up a new 120 pentagon corner unit and I am ready to step it up, I think this is the place for me!

that sounds like a neat tank. How about posting some pics of it

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/24/2009, 11:16 PM   #1309
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driz View Post
Hello all, I am quite new to the hobby. I've been reading RC forums for awhile now trying to get myself aclimated to everything. I just picked up a decent 120g tank and am slowly getting into putting everything together, also closing on a new house so will have to take my sweet time doing much.

But I do appreciate all the helpful advice all over these forums. Thanks!

To Reef Central
In this hobby it is best to go slow. The only thing that happens quick in it is death

Unread 11/24/2009, 11:18 PM   #1310
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypeeroe View Post
Hello all. My name is JP and my 75g has been up & running for only 6 weeks. I learn something new daily by reading this and the Salt-City.org forums. I find something I want to add/buy more often then that. Looking to add a RO/DI system, Monitor/Controller and hopefully getting my Fuge/Sump, drill tank, etc finished up in the next week or so. Wish I would have done that first, but I got some bunk advice. Live and Learn!

Its a good idea to start your own build thread on here. It keeps all your posting and answers to your questions in one place that is easily seen by others

To Reef Central

Unread 11/24/2009, 11:19 PM   #1311
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffer Ali View Post
Hi Allll
My name is Jaffer Ali i'm from Kuwait

im into Freshwater Aquarium and now getting to Marine and reef Aquarium
Rc is realy very Big help to me Thank you All

To Reef Central
It is nice to hear from someone so far away

Unread 11/24/2009, 11:20 PM   #1312
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert46 View Post
Hi everyone. My 55g tank has been up and running 18 months, new 150g is in the process. Looking forward to going big. I'm from Sacramento CA. Check out my into post.

To Reef Central
Have you started your own build thread yet?

Unread 11/24/2009, 11:22 PM   #1313
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterKitty View Post
Hi everyone!!

My name is Kat and I'm fairly new to SW myself. I've grown up on FW but have always been fascinated with SW, the ocean and all that comes with it.

I just recently purchased a pre-owned (that was up and running) 24g Aquapod and set it up. It's been running just under a week now and I'm thrilled to report it's going great!

I hope to start a tank build diary so everyone can follow along!! Looking forward to soaking up everyone's knowledge and experience!!

Kat

To Reef Central
Looking forward to following your build thread

Unread 11/25/2009, 12:48 AM   #1314
yongpanda
Registered Member

Hi I think it's about time i introduce myself to the community here. My name is Gil and only 16 years old. Started off with a 29G SW aquarium for 3 months until i started my very recent ADA Rimless build. Only 50 gallons but definitly bigger than a 29 gallon.haha

check it out
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746345

Current Tank Info: Elos Midi in the making
yongpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 12:55 AM   #1315
jfarris1976
Registered Member

Hello to everyone! Well i have just joined RC tonight with a question and have quickly been pulled in by all the wealth of information. I am currently new to Saltwater and me and my Fiance are just really getting into it. We currently have a 30 gal tank that we purchased off of Craigslist. It has around 50 pounds of live rock . We recently added a Bio-wheel 400 "Emperor" filter to it and am currently trying to figure out how to get this wet/dry filter to work. We are looking forward to a lot of very peaceful times of being able to watch our little guys/gals swimmin around!

jfarris1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 09:56 AM   #1316
Gilbert46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post

To Reef Central
Have you started your own build thread yet?
Check it out here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1745754

I'll post more pics when my camera is fixed.

Gilbert46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 03:45 PM   #1317
What The?
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
You need about 20 lbs of live rock in that 20 gal. I don't quite know what you meant by the live rock flourishing and spreading. Live rock does not grow---the bacteria on it and in it do and are the main biological filtration of your tank.

To Reef Central
Unlike fresh water where you have to take out nitrates by water changes, the bacteria in and on the live rock take care of nitrates in a salt water tank.
This is why it is important to have at least 1 lbs of live rock per gallon in a salt water tank.
Bacteria growth is what i ment by flourishing, I'm trying to get it to spread to the other rocks, and 20 lbs of LR that even fit??

What The? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 03:51 PM   #1318
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I am currently new to Saltwater and me and my Fiance are just really getting into it.
This sounds like trouble. Never have the same hobby as your fiance.
After you get married she is going to pick all pink pretty looking fish and dress your hermit crabs up in Taffita (what ever that is)
I am married 37 years and I have not yet told my wife I have fish.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 10:24 PM   #1319
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongpanda View Post
Hi I think it's about time i introduce myself to the community here. My name is Gil and only 16 years old. Started off with a 29G SW aquarium for 3 months until i started my very recent ADA Rimless build. Only 50 gallons but definitly bigger than a 29 gallon.haha

check it out
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746345
that's the way to do it--your own build thread

To Reef Central

Unread 11/25/2009, 10:31 PM   #1320
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarris1976 View Post
Hello to everyone! Well i have just joined RC tonight with a question and have quickly been pulled in by all the wealth of information. I am currently new to Saltwater and me and my Fiance are just really getting into it. We currently have a 30 gal tank that we purchased off of Craigslist. It has around 50 pounds of live rock . We recently added a Bio-wheel 400 "Emperor" filter to it and am currently trying to figure out how to get this wet/dry filter to work. We are looking forward to a lot of very peaceful times of being able to watch our little guys/gals swimmin around!

the emporer 400 I believe as the refillable filter baskets for carbon. I would remove all the other filter media in there and just run the baskets with carbon. Change out the baskets with new carbon every three weeks

To Reef Central

Unread 11/25/2009, 10:33 PM   #1321
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert46 View Post
Check it out here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1745754

I'll post more pics when my camera is fixed.
I just checked it out--great start. You will be glad you did a year for now or so. Its something I never did and regret it although I have a chronological picture history on my web site

Unread 11/26/2009, 12:08 AM   #1322
prawdzwr
Registered Member

Hey

Hello I am new to R/C and new to the hobby. I have a 80 gl mixed marine tank. I live and work in Saudi Arabia but am originally from Alberta Canada. I have been learning as I go and luckily have only had a couple set backs. For some reason I am not able to post on any of the discussion threads. Any idea what is wrong? I have already learned a lot from reading some of the threads. This definately looks like the place for answers from people in the know. Anyhow as soon as I figure out the whole posting thing you all can expect a bunch of newbie type questions.
Ciao 4 now

prawdzwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 01:40 AM   #1323
M88A2
Registered Member

hey whats up everyone! im totaly new to the whole reefing society, so new that i dont even have a set up yet....but thats only because im waiting to get some input on that things i should get to set me first tank up. I have been a daily visitor to this forum reading everything from newbie question/guides to drooling over other's setups. Hopefully i get some ideas in the next week or so and i can get my set up going.

M88A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 09:58 PM   #1324
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawdzwr View Post
Hello I am new to R/C and new to the hobby. I have a 80 gl mixed marine tank. I live and work in Saudi Arabia but am originally from Alberta Canada. I have been learning as I go and luckily have only had a couple set backs. For some reason I am not able to post on any of the discussion threads. Any idea what is wrong? I have already learned a lot from reading some of the threads. This definately looks like the place for answers from people in the know. Anyhow as soon as I figure out the whole posting thing you all can expect a bunch of newbie type questions.
Ciao 4 now

To Reef Central
what discussion threads can't you post to?

Unread 11/26/2009, 10:00 PM   #1325
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88A2 View Post
hey whats up everyone! im totaly new to the whole reefing society, so new that i dont even have a set up yet....but thats only because im waiting to get some input on that things i should get to set me first tank up. I have been a daily visitor to this forum reading everything from newbie question/guides to drooling over other's setups. Hopefully i get some ideas in the next week or so and i can get my set up going.
you are doing it the right way. Don't hesitate to ask questions or get invovled in the threads. We all learn more by being proactive

To Reef Central

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral