Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2005, 10:26 PM   #76
Me No Nemo
Premium Member

Hey Much, I just bought the Lugol's to do the dip as you suggested, since I seem to have a couple of colonies that get a brown (fungus?) coating over them that seems to cause them to close up them just die off. Most of my colonies are great, and I did save one a few weeks ago following the directions for your dip. But am just curious. The bottle suggests "40 drops per one gallon of aquarium water" for coral dips. Is that because they are suggesting saltwater? I am going with your suggestion, but would like to know, just for knowing's sake, why they would suggest eight times the strength you suggest. Also, what do you think is going on with mine? I have about 30 colonies at this time and only a few get this and then I move them immediately to the QT when I see it. Thanks for your time. Marcye

“Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest...” ( Dr. Lloyd Biggle Jr.)

"In among the branches of the corals, like birds among trees, floated many beautiful fish, radiant with metallic greens or crimsons...."
J. Beete Jukes 1842-46

Current Tank Info: 215 Oceanic, Dart Pump, Vortech MP 40's, ATI Powermodule 10x80 watts, 46 gallon freshwater planted tank, 3,500+ gallon backyard pond, 12 gallon mantis tank
Me No Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2005, 03:03 AM   #77
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

This lugols stuff is strong! I put 3 gallons of RO/DI water in a bucket and added 4 drops of lugols. As soon as the rock hit the water a small starfish came off and pratically fell apart on the bottom of the bucket! The nudis came off too after swishing it in the water. Too bad they didn't suffer the same tragic death as the poor starfish...

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2005, 04:11 PM   #78
Eight
Registered Member

I use tincture of iodine from a local Long's Drugs in place of the lugol's and it seems to work pretty much the same. Bristle worms and brittle stars came right off.

I also dipped mushrooms with no ill effects.

Current Tank Info: 170G LeeMar Inwall, BubbleKing Mini 180, 3 x 250w Reeflux 20k, 2 x Vortech MP40Ws, 1 x Tunze 6000, Geo 618 Ca Reactor, 45G frag tank, 35G sump
Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2005, 09:58 AM   #79
AquAsylum
Registered Member

2 questions, Mucho...

Please clarify your experience with, or what you have heard from others regarding, the various types of Iodine. My understanding is that you use the Lugol's from a pharmacy/drugstore (i.e., made for humans). There is also the Kent Marine Lugol's Iodine, and then the Kent Marine Iodine supplement.

Second, do you have a list of species that should NOT be dipped using this method? My impression is that it is safe for just about any soft/polyp coral, but it would be helpful to know if there are some species that are too sensitive to recover.

I know this has been discussed in some other threads, but it would be nice to have it definitively answered in your thread, as that is where most people go for this information.

Thanks very much for your threads on this- I am just starting out with corals and plan to use this dip whenever I introduce a new specimen.

Current Tank Info: 250 gallon cichlid tank, 180 gallon mixed reef
AquAsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2005, 08:58 PM   #80
Smo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brc0488
whats the percent of iodine in the lugols stuff?
From the MSDS for Lugol's Iodine:

PRODUCT: Lugol's Solution
SECTION II. HAZARDOUS MATERIALS % CAS No. DOT Classification
Potassium Iodide 10% 7681-11-0 Not Regulated
Iodine 5% 7553-56-2 Not Regulated

Current Tank Info: 29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 130watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, RBTA(2), Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Ocellaris Clown |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2005, 05:13 PM   #81
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

AquAsylum, I have always and only used Lugol's Iodine. Of which I have never seen on the shelf at any Drug store, Market etc. I have only seen and purchased it from on line reef related sites and LFS. I have never used the Kent Iodine products so I can't honestly comment on them.

I don't have a list of corals that will or won't tolerate an iodine dip, and it isn't safe to say that all softies can handle a dip. I had a small list many years ago but I think I deleted the file when I purchased my new PC. I do recall a few softies that will perish quickly if exposed to excessive levels of Iodine, I simply can't remember what was on the list. Lugol's is indeed highly concentrated and at levels above 0.06 NSW, (NATURAL SEA WATER), it can be deadly in a reef tank to those species that are most sensitive to it.

I would suggest posting a thread asking that very question. The wealth of knowledge on this board is endless and I would seek out an answers from the expert reefers on this board whom I'm sure will have an answer for you. I would also shoot a PM to Nagel ( the Moderator ) with your question. He is also an endless source of information.

Mooch

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon zoanthid, Palythoa and Mushroom Reef.
MUCHO REEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2005, 06:15 AM   #82
aqua5
Registered Member

when you say 3 gallons of RO can you use just 2 or so since ro is limited and calculate how many drops since there is less water (ie: only 1 drop of lugols)

aqua5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2005, 03:13 PM   #83
jacksok
Registered Member

Mucho - Just wanted to add my thanks for this treatment regime. Used it today and seemed to work a treat.

Couple of photos of the nudi and the eggs that others might find helpful for ID.

Regards,

Keith

jacksok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2005, 01:37 PM   #84
Cthulhu
Registered Member

I have zoos on a big rock with some ricordea, would the dip kill the ricordea?

Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2005, 01:26 PM   #85
Sullivmw
Premium Member

Mucho,

Can not thank you enough for providing this info on the treatment. Several years ago I had colony after colony disappear. Since then I have only been keeping SPS's and about 2 months ago bought a few more zoa colonies. Right away I started to see them disappear. About 3 weeks ago I tried the dip and the following day, the zoa's came back in full force, and have been great ever since. Even some that had not opened for a few weeks are back.

Sullivmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2005, 02:38 PM   #86
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Sullivmw, that's great. No need to thank me, we are all learning, sharing and growing in this hobby. I just like to give back as often as I can when I can. That's just what reefers do.

Mucho

PS, if you run your actinics only on the first day that you place new arrivals in your tank, you will notice a major difference in the time it takes for them to expand.

Unread 08/24/2005, 03:21 PM   #87
bkiba
Premium Member

mucho when can we see some pics of your new setup?

-Robert Plant
bkiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2005, 10:05 PM   #88
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

bkiba, I'd rather see your tank instead my friend. Got any pics you wanna share with us?

Mooch

I'm gonna post some once my new lens arrives.

Unread 08/29/2005, 10:06 PM   #89
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

bkiba, I'd rather see your tank instead my friend. Got any pics you wanna share with us?

Mooch

I'm gonna post some once my new lens arrives.

Unread 10/01/2005, 06:35 AM   #90
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Just a quick note, somewhere in this thread I think I posted that I now use 4 to 5 drops of Lugols Iodine per gallon of RO water.

Mods, could you please remove one of the duplicate replies from me above. Thanks.

Mucho

Unread 10/01/2005, 11:56 AM   #91
bkiba
Premium Member

mucho

here you go, this is two photos put together that is why there is only 1/2 a gramma

I've used the FW/iodine dip religiously and my zoos are loving it.

-Robert Plant
Unread 10/01/2005, 04:16 PM   #92
Snarkys
RC Sponsor

how long is too long for a dip ?

BRSTV & 52 Weeks of Reefing
Snarkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2005, 05:30 PM   #93
bkiba
Premium Member

Probably a day or so, zoos are pretty resilient. They can take a lot when they are closed up, even not being in water. Once they close up they use their internal stored water/goo to live off for a few days if they are healthy. As long as they stay moist you can pretty much do whatever you want to them. I've gone as long as 20 mintues with troublesome zoos with no problems.

-Robert Plant
Unread 10/03/2005, 09:15 AM   #94
zoazoa
Moved On

Zoo dip is very important and needed for sick zoos. In my opinion, should remove sick part with razor and dip for twnty mins are best way to cure zoos.

zoazoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2005, 10:15 AM   #95
killerwhale0217
Moved On

Sounds Like a very good theory

killerwhale0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2005, 10:37 PM   #96
TroyT
Registered Member

http://www.clarksonlab.com/index.html

8oz bottle for $20.00 or 1g for $99.00 look under chemicals and solutions.

Unread 10/22/2005, 12:10 PM   #97
Snakebyt
Registered Member

would this stuff work the same?

Snakebyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2005, 05:25 PM   #98
jabloomf1230
Registered Member

I want to add one other thought to the mix on zoo dipping. People have mentioned nudis, snails and infections as things that cause zoos to retract. There is one other cause and dipping cures that also. If you get even a small amount of algae (even diatoms) growing on the stalks of the zoos, they will eventually close up, mainly because of the constant irritation caused by both the algae itself and grazers (mostly amphipods and hermits). Lugols Solution has a common ecological use and that is to preserve algae samples collected from both fresh and salt water systems:

http://www.epa.gov/greatlakes/lmmb/m...ol.pdf#search='preservative%20phytoplankton%20samples%20lugol's%20solution'

Lugols immediately kills the algae, but it has the added benefit that it doesn't damage the cells, so the samples can be readily identified at a later date. Thus it follows that a freshwater/Lugols dip would reduced attached algae. The freshwater doesn't do the attached algae any good either, because just like the pods, the lower osmotic pressure does a number on the algae.

If you dip your zoos and a whole bunch of pods come out, it might mean that they have been nibbling at the algae on your zoos (or it may just mean they like hiding in that rock).

jabloomf1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2005, 09:03 PM   #99
MUCHO REEF
Registered Member.

Snakebyt, yes, that's exactly what we use.

jabloomf1230, great point and observation.

Like I said, the knowledge here is endless if we all contribute.

Mooch

Unread 11/08/2005, 08:07 PM   #100
carolinareefs
Registered Member

This may be a silly question, but is the RO water saltwater or freshwater?

carolinareefs is offline   Reply With Quote