Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Moving Fish Long Distance: Bag or Bucket?
Bag 4 16.67%
Bucket 20 83.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2012, 04:40 PM   #1
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Question Moving Fish Long Distance: Bag or Bucket

I've read so many differing opinions on this that I just can't decide. So, you get to decide for me.

If you had to do a long distance move (say 10+ hrs), would you just bag all your fish up or move them in, say, 5 gal. buckets? For the sake of argument, we'll say 2 fish per bucket with an air stone running in each bucket.

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 04:42 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

I would definitely use a bucket. But prepared with battery operated air pumps. Size of bucket and number of fish per bucket depends on size. Also, be prepared to keep the area warm or cool.

Unread 04/21/2012, 05:55 PM   #3
REGGAEX
Registered Member

Buckets the way to go

REGGAEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Vince272992
Registered Member

bucket with some type of hide out such as live rock or PVC pipes and have a small bubbler in the bucket for oxygen to make the trip least stressful as possible

Vince272992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Ryan2013
Registered Member

I dont know about putting rock into the bucket with the fish. If it shifts while your moving it could kill one of them. Definately do buckets with air stones though, the last thing youd need is to be caught in traffic with a bunch of bagged fish slowly running out of oxygen.

Ryan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

Either will work, but I say go with buckets with airstones and no rock. The fish may get sloshed around against the rock.

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Reefkeeper 18
Registered Member

Deff a bucket

Reefkeeper 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:36 AM   #8
TruReef
Registered Member

bucket with airstone. been there, done that successfully.. all corals in two or three buckets and all fish in another. snails and hermits in another, separated of course.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180g mixed reef, 60" Sunpower 8 bulb, SRO-3000int
TruReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 01:29 PM   #9
GSMguy
Registered Member

I moved all my fish and corals from Virginia to New Mexico in buckets, no airstone During the drive but I did use powerheads and heaters in the hotel room at night. The sloshing when the truck was moving was enough oxygen during the day. The trip took 3 days and it was another week after I got to NM before I got them back in the tank.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 03:41 PM   #10
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

+1 on bucket with airstones

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 04:45 PM   #11
hobbzz
How do I change this?

I moved two b&w occ in winter from Wisconsin to Florida in a 5g bucket w/heater, and a venturi powerhead running off of a cig lighter power adapter. 1300 mi/24 hrs and they were fine.

hobbzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Old Glory
Registered Member

You could use plastic storage bins.

Old Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 09:59 PM   #13
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Either buckets or sterilite containers with airstones it is! Thanks everyone! I feel a lot more confident now about my game plan!

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 05:17 AM   #14
sbeason
Registered Member

I did a 460+ mile move and just put them in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead; no rock or anything else. The trip took 7 hours and everything was fine.

Thanks, Steve

sbeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 06:02 AM   #15
el aguila
Registered Member

I did a long distance move for a Blue Spotted Jawfish in the winter. Got an insulated bait bucket; put fish and water inside in a bag in the bucket; and ran the air hose in with an exhaust air hose closing the top with a rubberband. This way I could keep water oxygenated without worrying about water spilling or slopping out by just using a bucket.

I kind of used the best of both options bag and bucket.

I also kept a thermometer in the bucket. If the temp started to dip, I would pour in a little hot water on the outside of the bag to adjust the temp.

el aguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 01:32 PM   #16
gwstephens
Registered Member

Bait bucket

Would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Coolers.../dp/B01IDOAPN6

gwstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Bret61081
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstephens View Post
I wouldn't spend the $$ unless you will be using it often. I used a cheap styrofoam cooler from 7/11, lined it with a bag and cut a spot for the air bubbler hose. Ive also used a bucket with good luck too

Bret61081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 09:35 AM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Why would a bucket be better? The conventional wisdom for shipped fish is to keep the bag sealed as long as possible because the CO2 buildup lowers water pH and shifts the form of ammonia to ammonium ..... which is much less toxic. I would think, for long trips, that an unsealed bucket with an airstone would actually be the worst thing you could do. I've never given this a great deal of thought, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:32 PM   #19
OrionN
Moved on

If you drive and have the room, covered bucket with air pump. I deliver clowns to LFS this way 25-50 fish in the 5 gal bucket with cover but have a small hole to have air stone. They can live for long time like this, if you keep temp reasonably OK.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:35 PM   #20
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Why would a bucket be better? The conventional wisdom for shipped fish is to keep the bag sealed as long as possible because the CO2 buildup lowers water pH and shifts the form of ammonia to ammonium ..... which is much less toxic. I would think, for long trips, that an unsealed bucket with an airstone would actually be the worst thing you could do. I've never given this a great deal of thought, so perhaps I'm missing something.
No feeding, you not going to have much ammonia. The volume in a bucket is so much more than in a little bag.
IMO we worry about ammonia when we looking at 36+ hrs in small volume. Consider add ammonia binder for long long trip. Suffocation/hypoxemia trump over ammonia every time.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 02/09/2018 at 03:42 PM.
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:40 PM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
No feeding, you not going to have much ammonia. The volume in a bucket is so much more than in a little bag.
IMO we worry about ammonia when we looking at 36+ hrs in small volume. Consider add ammonia binder for long long trip. Suffocation/hypoycemia trump over ammonia every time.
Ok, all good points; makes sense. I've never transported anything more than an hour or two myself.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, moving fish