Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2016, 03:54 PM   #2076
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Great read, thx for posting.

Chicagoreef2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 05:41 AM   #2077
Seagars
Registered Member

having an issue with Ich: do i need to remove/treat my coral, rock, sand also?

Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 05:48 AM   #2078
CarrieB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagars View Post
having an issue with Ich: do i need to remove/treat my coral, rock, sand also?

You need to leave the coral, rock, sand, inverts in a tank without fish for 72-76 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2016, 08:28 PM   #2079
Cbasss
Registered Member

Hello..i setup an emergency hospital tank after loosing 3 healthy fishes that i owned for almost 2 years..i believe they have velvet...slimy coat with white dots all over..DT is a 90 g with sump.

I have 3 clowns, 2 tangs, 1 lawnmower blenny that survived and are now in a 29 g hospital tank. I started today treating with cupramine. Im currently at 0.25 mg/l concentration and plan in raising it to 0.50 mg/l in two days. As of right now, the blenny and yellow tang dont seem affected by the disease..but the clowns and the hyppo tang look bad...the transfer in the HT went well and they have been in medication for about 5 hours and didnt die.

So here is my plan and questions....i plan on running cupramine for 4 weeks at the full concentration then bring the copper to 0 with carbon/WC/neutralizer then keep fish there to let the DT tank run fallow for 12 weeks...i bought prazipro as well and plan on using it after copper. I have been reefing for almost 2 years and bought a used setup, i have all the same fish since beggining so never had to treat fishes bfr...i recently changed my live rock as i was infested with mush and bought live rock from a really clean setup..i think the stress of changing the rock caused the outbreak on my fishes and either ich or velvet which was dormant just wiped some if my fishes....

Questions:

1-Since i set up urgently the 29g, its not cycled..i used water from my DT to fill it up while doing a water change...How often and when should i do water changes in the HT (i have one of the sticky thing to monitor ammonia)

2-Since my DT is obviously infested with parasites, is it a good idea to take water from it when i change water of my HT? Since i add cupramine to 0.5mg/l in HT will it kill the parasites right away in the "new" water from the DT or will it lower the meds efficiency?

3-is it even possible to go 12 weeks in an uncycled HT? Will i have to do daily WC?

4-is my plan good? Any inputs?

Crappy pics but you can see dotting and pale colour on my clowns

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Cbasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2016, 01:01 PM   #2080
Cbasss
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 08/29/2016, 11:37 PM   #2081
scuzy
Registered Member

Guide to setup a Quarantine Tank (QT).

You will need to do lots of water change. Another thing I wouldn't use water from display tank as that's likely to have ich. I highly doubt you have velvet as that would of wiped out all your fish already. I would monitor the ammonia level. Change water frequently. You could also get bottle bacteria to help speed up the cycling of the hospital tank. Hope that helps.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 03:51 AM   #2082
Cbasss
Registered Member

Thanks scuzy..well..u have only 3 fish left now...2 more died and looks like the 3 i have left will die too...they are covered in white, swim sideways and gold/ brown slimy looking in certain spots...i did fresh water dips before bed last night, looked a bit better but nobody want to eat...i think i will loose them all....

Unread 09/20/2016, 02:55 AM   #2083
Vinno
Registered Member

I got a aquaclear hang on running in QT at the moment, once al my fish get treated with copper and move on. How do I keep this QT tank going? Add fish food once a week?

Or are people finding just seed media sponge in main tank and when needed just pull that out and in a QT? is it only a small fast cycle spike ?

Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2016, 05:22 PM   #2084
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
I got a aquaclear hang on running in QT at the moment, once al my fish get treated with copper and move on. How do I keep this QT tank going? Add fish food once a week?

Or are people finding just seed media sponge in main tank and when needed just pull that out and in a QT? is it only a small fast cycle spike ?
To keep an empty (no fish) QT just ghost feed the tank every 3-4 days a little pinch or so. This will keep the cycle going and bacteria intact.
Also use of carbon, polyfilter and cupramine will rid all the copper out of the system which will also help with bacteria production as copper will kill bacteria.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 02:29 PM   #2085
canadianeh
Registered Member

I am planning to set up QT tank while my DT is cycling.

I read that I can use the water from WC from my DT to set up a QT tank if I don't want to set up a permanent one and just set it up only when I need it.

My question is:
If I use the water and filter floss from my DT water change, does not it mean that I am using "dirty" water and "dirty" filter floss (from detritus) to QT my livestock? I mean when all the Nitrates are in the water.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2016, 01:02 AM   #2086
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
I am planning to set up QT tank while my DT is cycling.

I read that I can use the water from WC from my DT to set up a QT tank if I don't want to set up a permanent one and just set it up only when I need it.

My question is:
If I use the water and filter floss from my DT water change, does not it mean that I am using "dirty" water and "dirty" filter floss (from detritus) to QT my livestock? I mean when all the Nitrates are in the water.
hi
i never recommend using water from existing tank it brings nothing good. so i would start with freshly mixed (aged atleast 12-24hrs). You can use a floss or filter or media from an existing tank to obtain instant cycle. chances to import dirties is less that way.
good luck

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Unread 12/31/2016, 09:16 AM   #2087
Reef_Paddy
Registered Member

What are people's thoughts on a Coral QT tank that is painted white on 3 sides and also the bottom? Potential for too much light or a good idea? (Could run a lower powered light with the right spectrum)

Reef_Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 09:27 AM   #2088
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
hi
i never recommend using water from existing tank it brings nothing good. so i would start with freshly mixed (aged atleast 12-24hrs). You can use a floss or filter or media from an existing tank to obtain instant cycle. chances to import dirties is less that way.
good luck
bnumair, thanks for putting this info together for all of us. 30 years in the hobby and I am finally setting up a quarantine tank lol.
Just so you know we really are paying attention, you confused me with this post saying never use water from existing tank when back in your first post you said
" Emergency QT.
In case you feel a need for a QT, just put together all the equipment and put water from your main tank in it and you are good to go.

I have a 30 gallon tank set up next to and plumbed to my 120 display. Was going to be a frag tank but now it will morph into a quarantine tank. Isolating it from display. If I leave it fallow for a while, ok to use display water or not?
Thanks. And again great job with this thread. Thanks.

Unread 01/12/2017, 01:47 PM   #2089
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
bnumair, thanks for putting this info together for all of us. 30 years in the hobby and I am finally setting up a quarantine tank lol.
Just so you know we really are paying attention, you confused me with this post saying never use water from existing tank when back in your first post you said
" Emergency QT.
In case you feel a need for a QT, just put together all the equipment and put water from your main tank in it and you are good to go.

I have a 30 gallon tank set up next to and plumbed to my 120 display. Was going to be a frag tank but now it will morph into a quarantine tank. Isolating it from display. If I leave it fallow for a while, ok to use display water or not?
Thanks. And again great job with this thread. Thanks.
Hi
Thank you for pointing that out. Let me clarify emergency QT is a totally different ball game. It is one of the harder QT to maintain. If you read further it will tell you that you will have to maintain water quality on daily to hourly basis. You can start off with the main tank water but eventually you will do so many water changes that they'll be none left. That still is an outdated method I do not recommend that anymore. I would strongly recommend starting with freshly-made saltwater. Things have changed since I wrote this last. There are water stabilizing chemicals that are available in the market that were not tested or were not available or we didn't have enough feedback on them back then. Things are so much changing in this Hobby that some mothers do get updated or outdated.
Anyways it's always best to start with new saltwater with parameters as close yo main tank. ( temp, ph, salinity)

Unread 01/12/2017, 01:51 PM   #2090
shellsea
Registered Member

OK Great. Thanks for clarifying. As I convert this frag tank to quarantine I will keep that in mind and start it off with fresh saltwater.

Last edited by shellsea; 01/12/2017 at 02:01 PM.
shellsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2017, 11:15 PM   #2091
stelliofleondis
Registered Member

Is this a proper qt method
For corals I will first do a Bayern dip then a coral Rx dip followed by a iodine dip then a fw dip then they will be placed in qt tank for 2 months for observation and if anything should appear I will do more dips

My question is are there any dips that will kill bacteria on the coral?

For fish I will dose the tank with prazi pro then do a water change and dose cupermine followed by another dose of prAzi and a dose of Maracyn 2, the entire time I will be giving them formalin baths every other day when the treatment is done I will leave them in qt for another month and observe.

My question is will this take care of most issues I could run into and can I Qt a snowflake eel this way?

Thanks for the time reefers I'm trying to do this right so as to save myself many headaches! And some fishes/corals

Unread 02/13/2017, 12:42 AM   #2092
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

honestly that s alot you will be doing and unnecessarily putting livestock in stress.
I would just simply use coral rx or revive on corals and observe them in qt for a white like u mentioned.
For fish as well i would just run prazi and curamine and observe over time.
i would avoid snowflake eel with copper meds.

Unread 02/16/2017, 03:06 PM   #2093
philly_rfa
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi
Thank you for pointing that out. Let me clarify emergency QT is a totally different ball game. It is one of the harder QT to maintain. If you read further it will tell you that you will have to maintain water quality on daily to hourly basis. You can start off with the main tank water but eventually you will do so many water changes that they'll be none left. That still is an outdated method I do not recommend that anymore. I would strongly recommend starting with freshly-made saltwater. Things have changed since I wrote this last. There are water stabilizing chemicals that are available in the market that were not tested or were not available or we didn't have enough feedback on them back then. Things are so much changing in this Hobby that some mothers do get updated or outdated.
Anyways it's always best to start with new saltwater with parameters as close yo main tank. ( temp, ph, salinity)
I have to be honest, my head is dizzy trying to figure out the right way to start up a QT. Many conflicting directions. Any help would be appreciated!

In particular, I am setting up a permanent tank. I am currently stocking up, so will do a lot of QT startup, breakdown, repeat. My plan is to get it running, have it ready for new additions. Then once done stocking, will run it for emergency use.

Would i be correct to do this:
  • Fill with new water (aged 24h)
  • Put filter floss (seeded in DT) in HOB filter
  • Heat to DT temp
  • Add something like microbacter7 daily to seed
  • Add food every 3-4 days to feed bacteria

Watch for it to cycle, and when done, its ready to go?
Should i be running charcoal media if no meds are needed, or leave that out entirely?

philly_rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 04:40 AM   #2094
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_rfa View Post
I have to be honest, my head is dizzy trying to figure out the right way to start up a QT. Many conflicting directions. Any help would be appreciated!

In particular, I am setting up a permanent tank. I am currently stocking up, so will do a lot of QT startup, breakdown, repeat. My plan is to get it running, have it ready for new additions. Then once done stocking, will run it for emergency use.

Would i be correct to do this:
  • Fill with new water (aged 24h)yes
  • Put filter floss (seeded in DT) in HOB filter yes
  • Heat to DT temp not required till last few days of qt to match parameters with DT before transfer
  • Add something like microbacter7 daily to seed dont waste your money and time
  • Add food every 3-4 days to feed bacteria once or twice a week

Watch for it to cycle, and when done, its ready to go? yes ready after ammonia and nitrites hit 0
Should i be running charcoal media if no meds are needed, or leave that out entirely?
i only use carbon to remove meds or copper etc out of water

Unread 02/25/2017, 10:02 AM   #2095
stelliofleondis
Registered Member

I set up my qt system I got a 10 gallon starter kit from Walmart it came with a light hood filter and tank for 30$ can't beat that
IMG_0003.jpg

Unread 02/25/2017, 03:12 PM   #2096
philly_rfa
Registered Member

Quote:
i only use carbon to remove meds or copper etc out of water
Thanks for info!

philly_rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 10:13 PM   #2097
Kaimana969
Registered Member

Quote:
LiveAquaria is very good online seller. and yes i think u got it now. glad i could help.
Would you recommend LiveAquaria for fish? My LFS are a bit suspect since I often see dead/dying fish on the bottom of the tank. Obviously this doesn't take away the need to quarantine but I'd like to start off with some hardy fish.

Kaimana969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:12 AM   #2098
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Liveaquaria is probably one of the best and most used websites in our hobby. Tons of people have bought fish from them including myself. I would buy with full confidence.
I have always used a pajama cardinal as my qt tank mate. It's hardy and tough and cheap.

Unread 05/07/2017, 11:39 AM   #2099
Bmezz
Registered Member

How does a frozen shrimp start the cycle?
Do u have any damsels or something always in there to keep the cycle?

Bmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2017, 01:12 PM   #2100
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmezz View Post
How does a frozen shrimp start the cycle?
Do u have any damsels or something always in there to keep the cycle?
A frozen shrimp or as a matter of fact any frozen sea food when placed in tank will decay and cause ammonia. Which is the start of nitrogen cycle. Once there is ammonia there will be bacteria to consume it and produce nitrites and nitrites to nitrates.

After thank is cycled you can keep a cheap fish like a green chromis or cardinal in there or simply ghost feed tank once or twice a week to keep bacteria fed.