Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2014, 03:57 PM   #1
samba_dad
Registered Member

Red face 65Gallon Reef Build

Very excited to begin this thread. It will probably take me until Nov/Dec to get this build complete - even though it is just a 65G display tank. It involves a display tank in the rec room, small fish room in the closet of the rec room and some garage plumbing and electrical work to get this tank built.

Last edited by samba_dad; 07/14/2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar
samba_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 04:23 PM   #2
dc
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 05:15 PM   #3
samba_dad
Registered Member

QT & Sump Stand
This weekend I built an aquarium stand to hold 1) fish QT, 2) coral QT, and the 3) DT sump. It is a large stand comprised of just 2"x4" and plywood - painted with Kilz and Behr paint the same color as the walls. I will be mounting some lights underneath the stand soon. The reason the stand is so large is largely because I bought the biggest sump I could find.

Quarantine Tanks
I purchased both QTs from PetCo during the $1/Gallon sale. I painted the fish QT back, bottom and sides black with acrylic paint to help keep the fish calm during the QT period. I only painted the back of the coral QT black for contrast purposes. I ultimately plan on installing an automatic water change for both QTs and the DT sump.

Sump
I purchased the Aqueon ProFlex Model 4 sump. Although it is rated for much larger than my tank, I wanted it to ensure I had enough room for a large protein skimmer and other pumps.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07/14/2014, 05:30 PM   #4
maddmaxx
Registered Member

looks off to a good start.

nice stand and canopy...

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 05:31 PM   #5
samba_dad
Registered Member

Water Mixing Station
This weekend I also built a water mixing station. I modeled it after a post by SWINGRRRR. It is halfway complete. I screwed up one of the connections this weekend and have to order another union for the bottom container. I really like the idea of being able to see the water level in the flexible tubing running along side the top container. I ultimately will have 3 pumps per container to feed my 2 QT and DT sump.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07/14/2014, 05:50 PM   #6
samba_dad
Registered Member

Next Step - Solving the Plumbing Dilemma - Need Some Advice
The next step in my 65G reef build is to determine the best way to plumb through 2 walls of the house to feed/drain 3 tanks. The first wall is from the garage mixing station to the fish "closet" room. Ultimately, I need 6 supply lines of water into the closet, and 3 drain lines out of the closet. This is because I have 2 QTs and a DT sump in the closet, and each must be supplied with fresh RO/DI for ATO and saltwater for water changes. I have read that the supply water for the QT should be pulled from the DT. Perhaps that could be done by a single pump in the DT sump with different solenoid valves to control flow to the QTs? I have been planning on running a separate line for both RO/DI and saltwater from both containers in the garage to each of the 3 tanks in the fish "closet" room as well as draining for water changes. I have 2 primary questions/concerns...1) is there a simpler way other than running 3 pumps from each water container (total of 6 pumps) to each of the tanks, and 2) how do I make sure not to back siphon water all over the floor or mixing QT and DT water?

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 08/03/2014, 06:16 PM   #7
samba_dad
Registered Member

I was able to spend most of the weekend on the new tank setup. I accomplished quite a bit of plumbing, electrical and even test some different pump configurations.

Plumbing
I completed a line for RO/DI and fresh saltwater from the garage to the fish room and a waste water line out. The system will be configured to perform ATO and automatic water changes ultimately. The lines consist of 9 unions, valve and 3 holes through the garage to fishroom wall. I think this is going to work out quite nicely in keeping my water quality where I want it.

Electrical
I added a GFCI outlet to the fish room (there were no outlets in this former closet). In addition, I addressed the poor lighting issue. I replaced the single bulb fixture with a 48" dual T8 fluorescent fixture. It helped a great deal. In addition, I added a fluorescent light above the sump/under the stand. This helps tremendously with the visibility. I have a bit of patch work to perform on the sheet rock to finish this job.

Pump Testing
I purchased several of the Fountain Tech FT-160 pumps. I am quite impressed with these little guys! They pump good amounts of flow through 1/2" pipe at surprisingly good rates under pressure. The flow from my fish room RO/DI container to my 20G QT on top of the stand was 45 sec/gallon using 1/2" pipe. However, when I used 1/4" pipe the flow slowed down to a surprising 15 min/gallon. That was quite surprising to me because I had not expected such a low flow. Because of these flow results, I am thinking about using 1/2" pipe for removing and replacing saltwater and 1/4" for ATO. The ATO will almost always be running except when I perform my water changes, and I would like those water changes to be finished fairly quickly.

Unread 08/04/2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Ryanrttu
Registered Member

I envy your organization...looks awesome!

Current Tank Info: None - taken down for time being
Ryanrttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 01:47 PM   #9
santanzchild
Registered Member

I always start out with a lofty idea for organizing my plumbing system like that... It always ends up a little more thrown together though lol.

santanzchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 07:07 PM   #10
samba_dad
Registered Member

Thanks guys! It will be interesting to see where this ends up. What is nice about trying to organize and plan is that it is slowing down the purchases to where the finance committee (aka wife) does not freak. I hope to get it done by Thanksgiving holiday.

Unread 10/08/2014, 08:14 PM   #11
samba_dad
Registered Member

Pump and Manifold Build

I am getting close to finishing up the plumbing in the fish room. In the background of the image below, you can see the manifold as it taps off from the main 3/4" PVC return line. I use an Eheim 1260 return pump, and tap off with 1/2" PVC using Spears gate valves to more precisely control flow. The first and second tap will drive carbon and phosphate reactors. I may actually run zeolite on the third tap (still deciding). The forth tap may not ever be used, but I added just in case for future expansion. In the forefront, you can see the return line from the sump to the display tank (up top) and the two drain lines (below) from the display tank to the sump below. Looks like I got some excess dust from drilling the top hole that I need to clean up. I use uniseals for all of the lines through the walls and containers.

I also have installed 13 pumps in my sump, tanks & containers to fill all those PVC pipes. I can now simulate both an ATO and water change by plugging & unplugging multiple plugs. I am anxious to add the various float switches Apex to control all of the ATO and water changes. I plan on running very small water changes every hour with the QT tanks getting salt water from the display tank sump. I have used the FoutainTech FT-160 pumps very successfully and have air gaps for every path of pipe.

I have ordered the protein skimmer - Reef Octopus Classic 150 Space Saver Protein Skimmer - from marinedepot.com. I still have lights and Apex to purchase, but I'm getting closer. Perhaps I will have it finished by Christmas!

Unread 10/21/2014, 07:19 AM   #12
samba_dad
Registered Member

A lot has happened this month so far on the reef tank build. I received and installed the Reef Octopus 150 Space Saver Protein skimmer. I can't tune it yet because I am not running saltwater - but it won't be long. Below is a picture of the protein skimmer after assembly.

I have now completed all the plumbing for the tank and actually have been running tap water through overnight through all the plumbing to ensure I have found and repaired all leaks in the entire integrated system. I used the "Herbie" method on the overflow and the display tank is running silently and with no rushing water or gurgling sound like in my previous reef tanks. Literally the only sound I am getting now is coming from the Eheim 1260 main water pump vibration in the aquarium sump which is not bad at all according to my finance committee (aka wife). I will probably order a rubber mat to go under the main pump to get it even quieter. Below are pictures of the plumbing in the overflow portion of the display tank and the plumbing underneath the display tank.

I have also purchased an Apex Controller to control the entire system, but have had a good number of problems with it so far. It looks like the temperature probe is not functioning properly. I was up late last night working with Neptune's Technical Support. I have heard great things about the technical support, and I am hopeful they can remedy the situation soon. I am eager to get this working correctly and start working on the electrical wiring, float switches, "software", and lighting. After that, I should be ready to purchase my live rock for the tank! It won't be long!

Unread 10/21/2014, 07:27 AM   #13
uncleL
Registered Member

Looking at your setup all I can say is ROLL TIDE!!! Looking good!

uncleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 07:32 AM   #14
samba_dad
Registered Member

ROLL TIDE back at you! Thanks!

Unread 01/19/2015, 06:26 PM   #15
samba_dad
Registered Member

I have not posted on my build in awhile, but continue to make progress. Over Christmas I added 2 Ecotech Radion XR15W Pro lights into my canopy. Saving up for those lights slowed me down a bit. However, yesterday I finished my initial attempt at my rock aquascape. I used the BRS reef saver rock - primarily because the pukani was out of stock. I ordered 100 lbs, and unfortunately that was about 40 lbs more than I needed. I am mostly happy with the aquascape except on the lower left side. So, I might tweak it a bit more before I put some putty in place. Since my last post, I finalized my fish quarantine tank setup. So, my plans for now are to start the main tank cycling by adding a shrimp and some Bio-Spira. I will also be adding a carbon reactor just to try to keep the smell down a bit. Once the main tank is cycled, then I will take some filter pad media from my DT sump and add it to my fish QT filter and get my first fish. Woohoo!! Finally!! Hard to believe it took me almost 8 months. Nevertheless, I think the planning and preparation will pay off down the road. My next big order is some more equipment from Marine Depot - those guys are great and very helpful!

Unread 01/19/2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Looking nice, following

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 01:15 AM   #17
ECreefer
Registered Member

Build looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

ECreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 07:00 AM   #18
chris82079
Registered Member

thats a great skimmer....very easy to dial in..i was very happy i chose it!!

chris82079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 08:52 PM   #19
samba_dad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenliu9 View Post
Looking nice, following
Thanks very much! Pretty excited about getting to the point of adding some livestock.

Unread 01/20/2015, 08:53 PM   #20
samba_dad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECreefer View Post
Build looks awesome, thanks for sharing!
Your quite welcome! Capturing this on Reef Central is a great way to capture the progress of a build. It is also great to get some friendly advice as well.

Unread 01/20/2015, 08:57 PM   #21
samba_dad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82079 View Post
thats a great skimmer....very easy to dial in..i was very happy i chose it!!
That's good to hear. I was thinking about getting the Vertex, but some folks on ReefCentral suggested the Reef Octopus. I don't really have anything added yet that will cause the skimmer to start working actively. I had a problem with some small air bubbles escaping into my sump and then entering the main pump. I adjusted the dial down to about 2 and that seemed to mostly settle the air bubble issue for me. What setting do you typically use?

Unread 01/20/2015, 10:00 PM   #22
chris82079
Registered Member

2 with about 8 1/2 inches water depth my tank is only a couple months old, it's a 65 also and I cycled with dead rock and live sand with the lights off. I'll get some pictures tomorrow when the lights are back on

chris82079 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
65g, ato, automatic water change, quarantine tank, reef build