Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Wizzy.
Registered Member

40 Breeder Layout

Here's what I want it to look like-

Thoughts?

Is something about the layout unclear?

I am new to plumbing and need your advice.

Also, I am getting the 75 gallon version of this stand- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=9883

I am worried, because there are only 4 contact points.

Would I need to place a piece of wood below the stand to more evenly distribute the weight?

Thanks- Wizzy

Last edited by Wizzy.; 08/02/2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: My happy face at the end was wrong.
Wizzy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Wizzy.
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 08/04/2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Wizzy.
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 08/04/2012, 06:32 PM   #4
windowlicker916
Registered Member

Is your main concern that you are worried that the bottom of the stand will not support the sump and other stuff down there?

Setup seems fine but not sure what your concern/question is.

windowlicker916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2012, 09:23 PM   #5
JAustin
Acropora Nut

Why is your rodi air tight.

Unread 08/05/2012, 08:22 AM   #6
RobinsonFam1
Registered Member

x2 on RO

ait tight/sealed means you either cant get anything in or out (sealed) it wont drain or fill in other words????

maybe you mean "covered" container so you dont get junk in your water?

RobinsonFam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Toadally
Registered Member

Not too sure I would do an air tight RODI container.

"Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here,
and drink whatever comes out?"

Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte (RASOC) Treasurer

Current Tank Info: 57gal. Illuminata, Bubble Magus Skimmer, Tek Elite 6x39w, 40gal. Breeder, 2x A150w Kessil LED
Toadally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 12:37 PM   #8
JAustin
Acropora Nut

If you thinking of a gravity feed ato it won't work. The salt water will mix with your air tight to water.

Unread 08/13/2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Wizzy.
Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply everyone.

I wasn't aware this thread had gotten any responses.

Here's an alternative design as well as some other information explaining my setup.

-----

Q/A

Size of RODI Tank?- Unknown as of yet, but will hold a minimum of 5 gallons.

How does the ATO work?- The RODI container will be completely air tight. The only way out is through the tube I placed in the side. This tube is submerged just under the water's surface- creating a vacuum. When the water level falls below the tube and lets air in the RODI container will let water into the sump. I like this design, because it is inexpensive and has no moving parts that can fail. Also, it requires no electricity. I am still deciding what container to use, because I need an airtight lid that can come off and on. I may try and make a lid for a normal glass tank as well.

Skimmer?- I plan not to use one at first, but want the option to add one later down the road if necessary. I would like suggestions on how to do this and not take up valuable refugium space.

Multiple Drains from Display Tanks?- I am not sure whether two drains are necessary, but have read that another drain will act as a back-up in case one gets clogged. I would like input on the quietest and safest setup as this will be a bedroom tank.

Return?- I have not chosen a return yet, because the plumbing layout is not decided on. As far as seagrass goes, I have been told that strong flow is good for keeping the seagrass clean and robust. Having kept FW plants however, I am sure that too much flow right after planting would cause them to be blown from the substrate.

Stand?- The stand will be going on the second story of my house. For this reason I am trying to keep the total system volume 100 gallons or less. The flooring is carpet and the system will be up against a wall that divides two adjacent rooms. I don't know whether this is a load-bearing wall. I would much rather get a stand that is completely flat against the floor- but so far the metal one I linked above is the only one I have found that will hold two 40 gallon breeders. Suggestions on alternative stands would be greatly appreciated.

Separate Drains?- I am not sure which is better- a separate drain and return for each aquarium or for the main DT to overflow into the smaller aquarium and then into the sump. Input on this topic would be appreciated.

Side Tank?- I love small, nano-sized aquariums. However, I want the stability that comes with larger tanks. So, by plumbing in the side tank I will hopefully have a fun nano to experiment with without all of the extra maintenance. Ideas I have are for it are seagrass, ricordea-only, anemones, breeding area for fish, etc.

Small Tanks Hard to Drill?- I was not aware of this and since this will be my first time drilling an aquarium I would appreciate any tips/tricks to make the process easier.

Glass-Holes Overflow/Internal Overflow Box?- Do these really silence the drains? If so, I think I will need to implement them, since this will be in my bedroom. I was thinking of making my own out of acrylic, but would appreciate advice on this subject.

Sump Water Level?- How do I determine what water level to set the sump at?
--------

WindowLicker- My question is very general. I would appreciate advice on anything that you think may help me to create a better system.

RODI- I explain the RODI in my newly posted Q/A section above.

In short, the air tight seal with the water creates a vaccuum. When the water evaporates below the surface of the seal it lets water out.

I don't think the water would mix together, but then again I don't actually know for sure and appreciate your advice. Would you mind explaining why you think that?

I want to create a removable air-tight lid for adding new water.

Also, I may drill the hole in the bottom of the tank.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

EDIT- I forgot to add that my Q/A section are responses to questions/advice received on another forum. That is why they are written the way are.

Unread 08/13/2012, 04:26 PM   #10
cmantis
Registered Member

Is the smaller tank for a dsb or will the 40 have sand too? Why not go with a refugium with separate chambers? I am using industrial shelving for my 40 breeders. As far as drilling the smaller tank it will have thinner glass. I drilled mine for the first time. I would buy or make a guide to help. I don't know about that rodi idea but if you need something air tight look at those containers they sell for pet food.

cmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Wizzy.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmantis View Post
Is the smaller tank for a dsb or will the 40 have sand too? Why not go with a refugium with separate chambers? I am using industrial shelving for my 40 breeders. As far as drilling the smaller tank it will have thinner glass. I drilled mine for the first time. I would buy or make a guide to help. I don't know about that rodi idea but if you need something air tight look at those containers they sell for pet food.
I am not sure yet, but I think I want to tie in a nano sized aquarium to experiment with. ATM, I want to plant seagrass in it (probably a few inches of sand). It's just a fun thing on the side.

The 40 will be BB. I am considering adding a remote DSB, but am not sure yet. If I do, I want it to be completely removable in case something goes wrong.

Could you link to the industrial shelving you are using. I love that stuff.

Do you have any advice on how to make a guide or where to buy one?

Great idea for the air tight container- Thanks

Tags
40 breeder, gallon, layout, plumbing, seagrass