Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2012, 11:51 PM   #76
tst400
Registered Member

Orange spots are cleaning machines, just know they are jumpers.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

tst400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 01:34 AM   #77
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel*Fish View Post
I don't know how current this info is, or if we know something now that wasn't known when the list was made. I've never had one as I have a dsb, so personally I'm clueless about them. Just want to insert a word of caution. This fish is listed on RC's list of

Fish Best Left For Experienced Or Knowledgeable Hobbyists:

Diamond, Golden Head, Sleeper Gobies
(Valenciennea spp.): Sometimes starve to death even when accepting prepared foods, tanks with large sandbeds containing lots of food will help as will frequent feedings when they will eat, mated pairs may help as well
That was my experiences with a couple of them -- happened about 10 years ago or so. Even though they were eating prepared foods, they kept getting skinnier and skinnier (( over the course of a year )), until they finally died. I've been able to keep several difficult to keep fish, but this just doesn't work for me, and I know that I am not the only one that has experienced this.

For me, I vowed never to get another one -- there are other ways to keep a sandbed clean.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 01:55 PM   #78
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
Even though they were eating prepared foods, they kept getting skinnier and skinnier (( over the course of a year )), until they finally died.
Well, any fish which aren't well fed will get thiner and thiner. It's really not much different than starving a tang. A sand sifting goby still needs to be feed since you are unlikely to be able to sustain its diet with the sand bed alone.

The stomach of the goby should be full almost all the time like any other well fed fish. If you are willing to feed (this particular goby is not picky about food), it's easier than a chromis (really). 19 months and counting:

Unread 01/30/2012, 02:00 PM   #79
EuroDriver
Registered Member

My remaining goby eventually starved to death too (Yellow-headed goby). He just would not eat anything else.

EuroDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 03:02 PM   #80
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhuo View Post
Well, any fish which aren't well fed will get thiner and thiner. It's really not much different than starving a tang. A sand sifting goby still needs to be feed since you are unlikely to be able to sustain its diet with the sand bed alone.

The stomach of the goby should be full almost all the time like any other well fed fish. If you are willing to feed (this particular goby is not picky about food), it's easier than a chromis (really). 19 months and counting:

Did you see the part where I said it was eating prepared foods? I feed mine, and all my other fish, often with quality foods.
Just because someone had a different outcome then you did, doesn't mean that person wasn't feeding theirs.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 03:25 PM   #81
listerofsmeg
Registered Member

don't get a chalk goby. I got one, he was really good at sifting sand, really active in the day... but then he ran out of food. And even though I started hiding food in the sand for him, he got really thin and then died.

listerofsmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2012, 03:27 PM   #82
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
Did you see the part where I said it was eating prepared foods?
Well, I am not blind so yes I saw that. Don't get mad. Do not confuse I feed a lot so my fish is well fed. Majority of the sand sifting goby probably die from this misassumption. Really sad to see one of the hardest sand sifting goby being slap with the impossible to keep tag.

Unread 10/14/2012, 11:37 PM   #83
susyca
Registered Member

Randalls Goby

Best watchman goby I have had was a randalls Goby.He is out all the time while my kasha just hides. They dont sift much.He is in my 28g nano and just cycling my new 180 g and debating whether to move him as the sand bed is only one inch to 2. he is paired with a pistol. what do you guys think.

susyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2013, 08:58 AM   #84
knight2255
Registered Member

dzhou, you still have your diamond watchmen goby?

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 07:36 AM   #85
reef4life07
Registered Member

I purchased the sleeper goby on Sunday, and as of yesterday he covered about 90% of the sand. I was impressed.

reef4life07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 09:04 AM   #86
s2nhle
Registered Member

I purchased a diamond goby last Friday and on Sunday he is out and stir up about 75% of the sand. Since I had him, the sand is flying around during the day and quiet it at night when the goby went to bed.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2013, 08:47 PM   #87
reef4life07
Registered Member

I purchased a sleeper goby this past Sunday, as of today it shifted most of the entire sandbed. I'm impressed with its work.

reef4life07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2013, 04:59 AM   #88
KeepNitReel
Registered Member

My diamond goby did an excellent good stirring the sand & eating leftover food on the sand since February. Moved him over to my 7 footer 3 days ago & haven't seen him in the daytime since introduced. I know he's in there though, cause I see his tail or head peaking through his cave from time to time.

KeepNitReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2013, 04:42 PM   #89
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2255 View Post
dzhou, you still have your diamond watchmen goby?
Yes. The goby is still alive and fat. I took down the tank about 18 months ago and gave the fish to my friend. It's in his tank ever since.

Unread 11/17/2013, 10:28 AM   #90
silentstorm
Registered Member

Am upgrading my 55 to a 180... Thinking about adding the diamond goby.. Wondering if I can add him as soon as the tank is ready or better to wait for a couple of months so that the sand bed matures with more life??

Also, can I house more than 1goby & mix with bennies... & maybe a jaw fish?? Although the tank is a 180, would 3 different species (having almost same personality) fight each other??
I have enough hiding spots in the substrate level with small cave options... Aqua scaping is lie 3 different islands spread over... So thinking like each island can make home to a species ( goby, Benny, jewfish)...

Anyone has a combo of goby, Benny, jewfish?

Looking for some recommendations..

silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 12:22 PM   #91
devimik
Registered Member

I have a Diamond Goby and a YWG. Both live in holes - the Diamond makes the holes - probably has 3-4 in my 90g. The YWG took one of them for himself and he doesn't sift any sand, just lives in his one hole and comes out to eat. The Diamond is constantly sifting and eating like a pig - eats all the types of food I put in the tank for the other fish.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 06:52 PM   #92
fisheater
Registered Member

I just skimmed this thread because I also want a goby. Im thinking of a mandarin. Thing is I have very coarse black sand. How much does sand size matter for these little guys?

fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 09:04 PM   #93
UTCReefer
Registered Member

A Mandarin will be fine as long as you have a crazy population of pods for him to eat all day.

UTCReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 09:05 PM   #94
UTCReefer
Registered Member

On another note I just got a Diamond Goby as well. On Day two he's happily sifting away and already has his first cave dug out.

UTCReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 09:29 PM   #95
Meanmike
Moved On

Glad I found this thread.

What are the chances of me having problems adding a diamond watchman to a tank with a yellow head jawfish?

Meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 12:01 AM   #96
reefguy24
Registered Member.

Are mandarin gobies any good?

reefguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2013, 01:07 AM   #97
bazeball05
Registered Member

Best Sand Sifting Goby

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefguy24 View Post
Are mandarin gobies any good?
They are very picky eaters. They only eat Copepods and a lot of them. I only recommend them to people who have a well established tank (1 year or more) or to people that can buy a lot of pods. They also do not sift sand, they just look for pods ha

bazeball05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 11:51 AM   #98
craig colbert
Registered Member

craig colbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 11:52 AM   #99
craig colbert
Registered Member

What's this Goby... Shifts and really well

craig colbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby