Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2016, 03:36 AM   #126
illumnae
Registered Member

That's not the sort of food you should be eating when you come to Singapore! Eat as the locals do in the hawker centres!

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 03:04 PM   #127
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
nice Dom!!

Singapore was an amazing expeerience for me!! never seen a so clean city

have fun mate
The fact that they will not hesitate to fine you 10K Singaporean dollars for littering or beat you with a stick does tend to deter litterbugs and other sorts of amoral behavior.

Singapore is beautiful, and I truly enjoyed visiting it while I was in the military.

Unread 07/12/2016, 12:23 AM   #128
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
The fact that they will not hesitate to fine you 10K Singaporean dollars for littering or beat you with a stick does tend to deter litterbugs and other sorts of amoral behavior.

Singapore is beautiful, and I truly enjoyed visiting it while I was in the military.
yes i was quite shocked when i saw the 500$ fine sign for eating and drinking in the train... specially while i was drinking my coke

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 04:53 AM   #129
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
You do know why they have razor wire hanging over the top of Freedomland don't you Dom ?

It's to deter the rabid monkeys from dropping down on stupid unsuspecting tourists mate - bet they didn't mention that in the bloody travel brochure.....

Apparently the color red really sets them off.........
Looks like paradise, Dom!
But I think Andrew got it wrong, the wire is not to keep the rabid monkeys out, it's to keep the rabid 'better half' out, who, for unknown reasons had to stay home and feed the fish!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 04:09 PM   #130
Rakie
In Memoriam

Last tank was beautiful, I don't expect this to be different !

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 11:56 PM   #131
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
But I think Andrew got it wrong, the wire is not to keep the rabid monkeys out, it's to keep the rabid 'better half' out, who, for unknown reasons had to stay home and feed the fish!

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/14/2016, 11:17 PM   #132
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Awesome Dom, so jealous mate!
It was amazing and very jealous worthy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Good lord that seafood! I would be 400 lbs by the time I got out of there
It was SSSSOOOOOOO GOOOODDDD and cheap as anything!! I ate so much, so so very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Dom it looks like you had a great trip, did you end up trying a Tridacna clam? :P
It was a great trip but no I couldn't bring myself to do it haha I watched intently as to how it was cooked, prepared and served but didn't have the heart to try them myself haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
i'm on a diet...i go in a reef forum to see some coral pics to forget food etc....and what my beautiful eyes see...???.....shrimps and food pics.....thanks dom.....
I'm on a diet at the moment haha the food was and is amazing!

Quote:
nice Dom!!
Singapore was an amazing expeerience for me!! never seen a so clean city
have fun mate
Clean, modern and amazing infrastructure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
That's not the sort of food you should be eating when you come to Singapore! Eat as the locals do in the hawker centres!
Don't worry there was plenty of that Street food and hawkers markets are one of the best bits about Asia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Yes they are just a little bit strict but I love it anyway, it's a wonderful city/country!

Quote:
It was better than paradise just wonderful!
hahahahaha poor lovely, she did pretty good with the tank while I was gone though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Last tank was beautiful, I don't expect this to be different !
Thanks mate I appreciate the kind words!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 11:18 PM   #133
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Well I know I said I'd do the update at the beginning of the week buuutttt I got busy so it got put off but Friday is always a good day to sit down especially since I work the weekends lol. Alright enough waffling!
S.E.A Aquarium is one of the best I've ever ben too, it certainly shits all over Melbourne haha it has some of the best variety, diversity and well looked after and loved tanks I've seen! They're all phenomenal

The aquarium starts with a big ole' moray and anthias tank with a big tang tank right next door. The tangs are some of the best unicorns I've seen! lol ugly mofo's though..

Someone liked the kenya tree too lol he didn't move!

From here we move on to my favourite tank!! The hard coral, anthias tank It contains some of the absolute best coloured anthias and healthiest fish I've ever seen around and they have the feeding regiment to match why everything in the tank is so amazing! From the tank manager himself when I sent them an email about the feedings:
"We feed our animals with fairly good variety of fresh seafood.
Feeds include:
Cyclopes
Red plankton
Mysis
Krills
Flakes"

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 07/14/2016, 11:18 PM   #134
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

The purple queens are oh-so-amazing and it just makes me love them so much more every time I see the tank!!

It's a pretty kickass tank!

From there we move on to a nice soft coral tank that was hiding a surprise that I waited 15mins to get a decent picture of!??

A gorgeous little Clarion

Right next to that is a cracking NPS tank that was hiding an even better surprise that I couldn't get a pic of It was a stunning Candy Basslet! The sun croals were amazing though!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/14/2016, 11:19 PM   #135
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Some nice RBTA's in another tank

There were also some crazy awesome tube nems in some of the various tanks too

Their inverts were almost as cool as some of the fish they had!

There were half a dozen of these groovers in one tank lol

I think this is my second favourite tank! lol bet you can't guess why though...

Last but not least their selection of jellyfish tanks were pretty stunning too??

There are other tanks and an AMAZINGLY large open ocean tank but the pics from those were **** so I'm not sharing them as they didn't turn out all that great and they're blurry ol but that's what I've got for the amazing Singpore aquarium lol

Hope you all enjoy

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/15/2016, 05:21 PM   #136
aggie13reef
Registered Member

Awesome pics! I have been to the Atlanta aquarium here in the states (supposed to be one of the best) and it didn't have any tanks as cool as those that I can remember. Love the Anthias. Need some for my tank now that I think about it

65 gal DSA
aggie13reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2016, 12:54 AM   #137
FloformAustria
Registered Member

wow Dom your tank has grown... Mate what was your GF feeding while you were away partying?

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/16/2016, 07:42 AM   #138
glaukos
Registered Member

That jellyfish pic is sick

Unread 07/17/2016, 03:10 PM   #139
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Nice pics at the aquarium! You should have stole that clarion. Love the jellyfish picture.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2016, 07:23 PM   #140
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie13reef View Post
Awesome pics! I have been to the Atlanta aquarium here in the states (supposed to be one of the best) and it didn't have any tanks as cool as those that I can remember. Love the Anthias. Need some for my tank now that I think about it
I would love to visit the numerous aquariums throughout the US! The anthias were just amazing, I can't describe how good the colours were on them!!

Quote:
wow Dom your tank has grown... Mate what was your GF feeding while you were away partying?
hahaha I think she was adding some uranium to food while I was gone

Quote:
That jellyfish pic is sick
Yeah the jellyfish tanks are pretty sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Nice pics at the aquarium! You should have stole that clarion. Love the jellyfish picture.
I wanted too, along with smuggle the candy basslet back with me! They are my number one fish

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/18/2016, 01:07 AM   #141
FloformAustria
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
hahaha I think she was adding some uranium to food while I was gone

that would explain the super red jellyfish

^Austrian Reef Club^

Unread 07/18/2016, 05:33 AM   #142
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Tank video:

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/18/2016, 05:45 AM   #143
glaukos
Registered Member

That's agood start bud...lps related but still a good start

Unread 07/18/2016, 12:43 PM   #144
reefmutt
Registered Member

Dom, that baby is looking ready for acros.
Andrew better throw in a bunch of extras when you pick up your stuff.
He owes you after you let him have your corals all this time!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2016, 12:48 PM   #145
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Tank video:
Um, this looks more like the "Zoanthid Zone" than the "Scleratinia Shallows"

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2016, 08:24 PM   #146
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
That's agood start bud...lps related but still a good start
It's all softie evils at the moment haha once I have the sump things will be drastically different

Quote:
Dom, that baby is looking ready for acros.
Andrew better throw in a bunch of extras when you pick up your stuff.
He owes you after you let him have your corals all this time!
I'm just about there I think just waiting on sump for extra space to organise all my bloody frags lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Um, this looks more like the "Zoanthid Zone" than the "Scleratinia Shallows"
Something, something... humble beginnings? hahaha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/18/2016, 09:10 PM   #147
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Well I suppose I should have a little more of an update to go with the video I just randomly posted last night lol.
As I've mentioned the tank is a little bit of a softie mess at the moment as I don't really have any room to organise the frags and sort them out properly lol. Once I have my schmexy new sump under the tank I can sort it all out, change the scape up a little and get ready to stuff the amazing tank full of candy coloured goodness
I did my first water change on the tank yesterday and the first series of tests too and things turned out pretty nicely Alk is way low but that's because I'm not dosing at the moment as I'm lazy lol but everything else was way better than I was expecting!
Alk: 4.5dKh
pH: 8
Nitrates: 0-5ppm, test was too hard to determine so it's somewhere in there lol
Phos: 0.009ppm, test with the Hanna low range Phosphorous kit.

The phos reading surprised me a little as I get glass growth fairly soon so it may be a little higher but then again I only just recently added some captivphos to sort out any silicates that might be coming out of the rocks No signs of hair algae or anything just some great diatoms and glass growth lol

All the corals are doing well and growing so I'm really happy with that front of the tank but there is some bad news at the same rate. Some really bad news I've had some fish loses. It seems that my beautiful bellus and kole never really quite settled into the tank and each other. They were constantly squabbling and going after each other and it seems that that had taken it's toll in the end... both of them fell ill and have sadly died massively upset about the loss of these guys and especially my bellus. It seems that it's purely down to their interactions with each other as both my wrasse's (earmuff and possum) are completely healthy with no signs of sickness what-so-ever.

It means I've also been giving my stocklist a really long hard think over the last couple of days and what I want from the tank. It seems like I'm heading in a bit more of a wrasse direction and smaller fish with just a couple of 'big' fish. It's going to be a pretty (read expensive) tank lol:
- A pair of captive bred royal grammas
- Lennardi wrasse
- A pair of flasher wrasse, haven't decided on species yet.
- Anything liopropoma that comes through Dave! Anything lol
- A new pair of genicanthus
- Tinkers butterfly (still lol)

It's a bit of a sad update but the tank is still progressing as I'd hoped which I guess is the silver lining in all this.

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/18/2016, 09:19 PM   #148
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

And some pics:

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 07/18/2016, 09:39 PM   #149
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Dom I think the longest recorded success with Lennardi is like a year or so? Most don't last very long for whatever reason, I believe Sanjay had the one that lasted for a year so definitely not your average reefer. There are other Anampses spp. that are just as beautiful and have a better success rate if you're looking for one in that genus.

Can't wait for your to get your sump, I want to see those beautiful acros!! :P What's the ETA?

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2016, 03:16 AM   #150
FloformAustria
Registered Member

coming together nicely Dom...

canīt wait to see this tank taking off!

love those sps

^Austrian Reef Club^