Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Hendersonracing
Moved On

lets talk success & tips on clown breeding & raising!

ok I have done OK on raising clows so far but seems my survival rate is slowly strating to drop!

my 2nd batch I had about 250 fry & 3 days later Im down to about 40! what are the secrets to sucess In trying to raise the amout of fry that survive(higher survival rate)

A.) I have been changing the water in the fry tank 2 times a say as soon as they are born? Not sure if thats a good idea or not considering they are real fragile?

B.) I have been adding phyto to the tank( just enogh to give it a green tint? Im wondering mabe the phyto caused some issues?

C.) Im wondering If its a good idea to have a sponge in on day one turned all the way down for more filtration?

Any thoughts or tips lets post!

Hendersonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2008, 12:08 PM   #2
FB
Registered Member

Re: lets talk success & tips on clown breeding & raising!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendersonracing
ok I have done OK on raising clows so far but seems my survival rate is slowly strating to drop!

my 2nd batch I had about 250 fry & 3 days later Im down to about 40! what are the secrets to sucess In trying to raise the amout of fry that survive(higher survival rate)

A.) I have been changing the water in the fry tank 2 times a say as soon as they are born? Not sure if thats a good idea or not considering they are real fragile?

B.) I have been adding phyto to the tank( just enogh to give it a green tint? Im wondering mabe the phyto caused some issues?

C.) Im wondering If its a good idea to have a sponge in on day one turned all the way down for more filtration?

Any thoughts or tips lets post!
A) My current batch I have not changed the water once. My ammonia only increased once and the second it did I added my sponge filter and it dropped back to zero within hours.

B) I have also been adding phyto to help the rots.

C) I may try adding it on day 1 with a VERY slow or no bubbles.

I would say I have about 40-50 now. It is so hard to guess but I thought I had about 80 a couple of days ago. However I have yet to find an dead one anywhere, so I am a little confused.

I am interested in what kind of success rates people get. is 80%- 70% - 60% something we should be able to get.

I think I may go back and read Wilkerson's book again as a refresher.

Keep up the good work Hendersonracing I have been following your thread looking for little tips here and there.

FB

GO HABS!!!!!!!!

FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Hendersonracing
Moved On

Thanks alot for your input..Im wondering If changing the water everyday during metemorphis is a problem? sudden change in temp & salinity? Im going to try keeping my sponge filter going this time I should have a small batch ready in about 7 days!
Joe

Unread 04/04/2008, 09:49 PM   #4
kerusso316
Moved On

A: dont change water till after met.drip freash water SLOW..5 days until 1.015. They are to easy to kill,and you may be starving them to death.B: Add phyto just like in your rot. culture.To gut load them you need alot of phyto.If it does not clear you have too much of one or not enough of the other.The phyto is also need to diffuse light so you dont get head standers.C: no sponge till about day12 or later.Small fish do not make alot of waste.You are trying too hard.RelaxCamara date is wrong 4/4/08

kerusso316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2008, 10:55 PM   #5
HoopsGuru
Moved On

Wow, great photos, now THAT is a lot of larvae/juveniles....what species?

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2008, 11:13 PM   #6
kerusso316
Moved On

These are from a pair of Onyx Perc's.They were dorn an 2/11.This is one hatch.Each pic is one side of the same tank{75 gal.}

kerusso316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2008, 12:33 AM   #7
clownfish75
Registered Member

When you say you ad phyto, what species and what sort? paste or live alage?

Christian

clownfish75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2008, 04:51 AM   #8
rkelman
Registered Member

I haven't been doing water changes for the first few days on my freshly hatched ones. I do add phyto to the tank as you do. Nice pics Kerusso316. I should have a mod move my thread here...

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Hendersonracing
Moved On

wow thanks.I guess that is one of my main problems changing water 2 times a day in the fry tank...and Im sure not adding enough phyto !

Unread 04/05/2008, 08:38 AM   #10
rkelman
Registered Member

How are you keeping up with the rotifers if your changing water that much? I have 2 5g pails 1/2 full and I couldn't.

Unread 04/05/2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Hendersonracing
Moved On

I strain the rots out with my mesh screen!

Unread 04/05/2008, 09:48 AM   #12
rkelman
Registered Member

Can you give me a link to where you got yours? When is everyone moving their fry to the growout tanks? I'm at 4 weeks now with B&W Ocellaris.

Unread 04/05/2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Hendersonracing
Moved On

www.floridaaquafarms.com

Unread 04/05/2008, 10:59 AM   #14
HoopsGuru
Moved On

I got the same plankton collector as Joe and really like it. I do small changes on the larval tank if needed...but I only ever use broodstock(display) tank water, not fresh mixed saltwater. On about day 5-6 I started using small amounts of fresh mixed saltwater. Now, I do about a 30% change daily to siphon the bottom clean.

I had to add phyto to keep my larvae off the side, it also helped to co-culture rots because I had a very small amount when my larvae hatched. I added enough to tint the water green where the rots would have it clear in about 6 hours. Not sure what that amount would be, as I was using DT's and it is really dark concentrated stuff.

Unread 04/05/2008, 11:54 AM   #15
rkelman
Registered Member

That link was no good. Here it is https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi
What size / Mesh size? Thanks

Last edited by rkelman; 04/05/2008 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 04/05/2008, 01:01 PM   #16
FB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kerusso316
A: dont change water till after met.drip freash water SLOW..5 days until 1.015. They are to easy to kill,and you may be starving them to death.B: Add phyto just like in your rot. culture.To gut load them you need alot of phyto.If it does not clear you have too much of one or not enough of the other.The phyto is also need to diffuse light so you dont get head standers.C: no sponge till about day12 or later.Small fish do not make alot of waste.You are trying too hard.RelaxCamara date is wrong 4/4/08
If you are not changing any water until after met how are you keeping your ammonia down?

FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2008, 01:50 PM   #17
HoopsGuru
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rkelman
That link was no good. Here it is https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi
What size / Mesh size? Thanks
https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/...uct=COLLECTORS

For rotifers you get the 53 micron mesh size. I got the 4" collector for $12. With that an an algae disk it was $32 shipped.