Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 12:42 AM   #1
fishnpups
Registered Member

Question Keeping maxi-mini in a tank without live rock?

Hear me out,
I know they're an anemone. Here's the rundown.

I used to keep dwarf seahorses in my 5 gallon. My old tank cracked and I got a new one and set it as a bonsai garden, all decor, no live rock or rocks of any sort, nor coral (hydroids can kill dwarves). When I moved, the remaining 3 seahorse all passed from the stress of moving them (I tried to bag them but one had given birth recently before, so he was stressed, the other 2 couldn't acclimate to tank after transport). They're now unavailable and as much as I looked, I don't have the drive to mass hatch brine shrimp daily anymore, working full time and college full time.

The 5 gallon is a tall with a LED light (not stock light, that wasn't bright enough so I bought a new one), a bridge with lots of surface room, some tulips with large base which leaves some places to wedge between, a larger grain "sand" and a Willow tree. With all the crevices I feel like the maxi mini could find a decent place to wedge.

This is a cycled 7-8 month old tank now with the same cleaner snails, and a shred of dragon's breathe(which is flourishing) from day 1, and water tests prove great water quality.

Also, I ordered 3 sexy anemone shrimp from live aquaria, of which I received 2 healthy, and one DOA. I want a group of at least 3, but the sexy's are rumored to bully newcomers to death unless added in groups, so I want to do an order of 3 and also was debating about getting 1 o 2 maxi minis as well. This is becoming a pretty much dedicated tank solely for the sexy shrimp, so if a plausible idea, I wanted to do an order for them. But if not, that's fine too. I just wanted to get ya'll's input.

Has anyone kept a maxi mini carpet anemone in a tank without live rock successfully?

Thank ya'll!

fishnpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 07:21 PM   #2
lionfish300
Registered Member

My stick to the substrate but of course I have rocks in the tank

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 07:49 PM   #3
The Deep Blue
Registered Member

do you have any pictures of the tank? Are you sure that the decorations that you have put in the tank are saltwater safe? Many of the decorations sold on the market today are designed solely for freshwater use and can leach chemicals into saltwater tanks. That being said, I have seen maxi-minis do fine without live rock i have seen them stick onto the glass of bare bottom tanks as well as onto substrate. Id be more concerned with the decorations then anything.

The Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:35 AM   #4
fishnpups
Registered Member

This is the tank, sorry I just got home

As far as I know, all decor is aquarium safe. It's all bought on amazon and I looked pretty heavily into my choices. I know usually the plastic is said to entice phosphates. While there is some algae, there is really not much at all. as I said I've had snails living in there since I got the tank 7-8 months and in my experience, if the parameters were off or if the water was toxic. I feel they'd have passed by now.

I went to my saltwater specialty store and they said they haven't heard of anyone keeping it without rock, but they like ridges, which I believe my tank has incorporated in the decor. Also, I was warned if it doesn't like it, it'll likely just end up on the glass, in which case I can add a small rock or two, but this tank is already relatively full. Which is why I'm hesitant about it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26996790_1833199773397242_279189163_n.jpg (96.0 KB, 45 views)
Unread 01/21/2018, 12:37 AM   #5
fishnpups
Registered Member

Also, as you can tell the tank also has decent flow as well if not heavier for a 5 gallon tank, also the water pump is adjustable.

Unread 01/21/2018, 12:40 AM   #6
fishnpups
Registered Member

It's not letting me edit my post? But here are is a day time picture I found as well as one of the sexys

I don't know if it's banned to triple post, but I don't know how to edit post. Sorry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26995103_1833206283396591_1974130782_n.jpg (73.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 26994626_1833206300063256_962667047_n.jpg (86.8 KB, 28 views)
Unread 01/22/2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Randyz
Registered Member

Maxi minis are pretty easy to care for and shouldn’t have an issue finding a spot to settle in.

Randyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 01:52 AM   #8
fishnpups
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyz View Post
Maxi minis are pretty easy to care for and shouldn’t have an issue finding a spot to settle in.
Hopefully, thanks for the confidence. It'll be in tomorrow so I'll probably try to start it on the bridge and let it migrate as needed. If it hasn't settled in a week I figure I'll pick up a few small rocks

Unread 01/25/2018, 11:01 PM   #9
fishnpups
Registered Member

if anyone looks at this later, the anemone successfully settled. The sexy's love it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sexys.jpg (81.4 KB, 10 views)