Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2012, 11:13 PM   #1
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Kevan's 34g cube (Picture heavy)

I have had an addiction to this hobby & all marine life for around 5 years now. In that time I have learned a great deal and still feel like I have barely begun to scratch the surface of what there is to know about the hobby. This tank has been running since christmas of 2010, and I am not very happy with the growth I have gotten in that time. In the passed 6 months or so I have been putting a lot of time and money into upgrading equipment in an attempt to get better growth and lower algae problems. You may be able to tell in some of these pics that I am having some real problems with bryopsis lately, and am currently trying to come up with a solution if anyone has any input. Anyways, here is my tank as of tonight (10-16-2012).

Aquarium
34g Solana. 20''x20''x20''
Home made red oak stand with marble top & removeable magnetic doors for easy access when I upgrade to a 24'' cube in the future.

Lighting
Ice cap 250w pendant & ballast with a 250w pheonix 14k bulb
DIY 3w Cree LED royal blue actinics. Hung from the ceiling with a gieseman hanging kit.

Filtration
Gfo & carbon run in a phosban reactor with a maxijet400
Bubble Magnus NAC5E HOB skimmer(kind of big for the tank but I like it a lot)

Other Equipment
Digital aquatics Reef Keeper Lite controller
JBJ Auto top off
Milwaukee SMS122 pH monitor
Rf20 Refractometer
150w jager heater
Maxijet 900(Return)
Tunze 4045(Circulation)
Brs 4 stage ro/di plus system http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-...tem-75gpd.html
I have always bought water locally but recently purchased this rodi as I just did not trust the water I was using and contributed it partially to my algae problems.
Maintainance
I do 5g water changes every week (sometimes 10g)
Clean the glass every three days or so
Feed every other day on a rotation of Mysis, rodsfood, & IO marine blend. I also fix in some coral frenzy every now and then. I try not to feed very heavy as I have algae problems but I spot feed coral when I can.
Dosing
I am not as good as I should be with dosing & have struggled getting a dosing schedual down. I do add kalk to my top off water (2tsp per gallon), and dose b-ionic 2 part.

Live Stock
Fish
Darwin Clownfish pair

Pseudochromis

Inverts
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone(Clowns don't seem to be interested but the nem is still fairly small)
3 Maxi-mini Carpet Anemone variations
Sea cucumber
Yellow sea cucumber
2 maxima clams
Theres also a few emerald crabs, a porcelain crab, and some various snail species.
Coral
SPS

Gnarf Bonsai (frags available)
Green Digitata
Green Birdsnest
Orange moniticap
Purple rim green monti cap
Superman monti
Spongodes
Unknown deepwater sps
LPS
Frogspawn
Neon Green Candycane
Blue Candycane
Pot of Gold Favia
Prism Favia (frags available)
A few unknown favias
Lobophyllia
Softies
Purple death palys
Captain Amrica palys
Pink palys (frags available)
Green palys
Blue Hornet Zoas
Rasta Zoas
Whammin Watermelon Zoas
Nuclear dragon eye Zoas (frags available)
Yellow button polyps (frags available)
Abunch of bright pink Yumas

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)

Last edited by kevantheman35; 10/16/2012 at 11:21 PM.
kevantheman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 11:22 PM   #2
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Random pics

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
Unread 10/17/2012, 01:09 AM   #3
pompeyjohn
Registered Member.

I love this tank

pompeyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Orm Embar
Registered Member

Your tank is really nice! Is that purple coral (#3) a Ricordea, an anemone, or something else?

I read in a different thread that high magnesium can shelp with Bryopsis, but I would have to reread the thread for specifics.

Agree that the Bubble Magus HOB is a lot of skimmer - the one I'm considering for my 38 is a Reef Octopus BH-90, with about half of the air draw of yours. Then again, I only plan on using it for cycling and emergencies, with macroalgae providing the usual filtration along with live rock/sand (I prefer skimmerless systems as you get more feather dusters/sponges/et cetera).

Quotes from my friends upon seeing my tank: "Hey, fresh sushi!"
Orm Embar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2012, 09:02 PM   #5
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orm Embar View Post
Your tank is really nice! Is that purple coral (#3) a Ricordea, an anemone, or something else?

I read in a different thread that high magnesium can shelp with Bryopsis, but I would have to reread the thread for specifics.

Agree that the Bubble Magus HOB is a lot of skimmer - the one I'm considering for my 38 is a Reef Octopus BH-90, with about half of the air draw of yours. Then again, I only plan on using it for cycling and emergencies, with macroalgae providing the usual filtration along with live rock/sand (I prefer skimmerless systems as you get more feather dusters/sponges/et cetera).
Thanks for your comment embar!
Its a maxi mini carpet nem. I have 2 other variations but they can barely be seen where they moved to in the tank. The purple one in the pic is actually pretty large, probably around 7'' accross when fully open.
From what I have seen my options are either magnesium, or peroxide dosing to rid myself of bryopsis. I am scared of peroxide dosing as I would hate to lose any of my corals and I have no other tank to put them in at the moment. If anyone has any input let me know. I have been running crazy amounts of gfo for months now with no real effects.

Unread 10/17/2012, 09:04 PM   #6
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyjohn View Post
I love this tank
Thanks John! I know you used to have a similar set up that was nice

Unread 10/17/2012, 10:40 PM   #7
plyle02
Registered Member

Nice Solana!!!
I love it, keep up the great work...
And more pics too...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 08:42 AM   #8
echopiece
Registered Member

Awesome tank! Beautiful cabinet! So all you have under the cabinet is the phosban reactor? Ever think about a sump for this tank? Keep up the good work!

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:14 AM   #9
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopiece View Post
Awesome tank! Beautiful cabinet! So all you have under the cabinet is the phosban reactor? Ever think about a sump for this tank? Keep up the good work!
Thanks a lot!
The phosban reactor is actually hanging on the back of the tank. You can see it in the pic above of the skimmer. In the cabinet is a 5gallon bucket used as my ato reserve, my controller and power strips, my pH monitor, and some hooks where various tools are hung. So its actually pretty full down there but I would love to have a sump on this tank just doesnt seem practical? I eventually want to upgrade to the cadlights 50g artisan cube or similar.

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:32 AM   #10
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Nice Solana!!!
I love it, keep up the great work...
And more pics too...
You got it!
Check out these sweeper tenticles. I have only ever seen this favia do this once.

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:34 AM   #11
echopiece
Registered Member

Awesome! I never knew why my acans where dying until I looked at night and saw their close favia neighbor friend stinging the crap out of them lol

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:12 PM   #12
drouner
Registered Member

Very nice setup. Does your tank get very hot with the 250 MH over it? Why are you running LEDs in conjunction with the MH? Dawn/Dusk cycle?

I'm just happy to be here!

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.

Current Tank Info: Old school Oceanic 58 gallon mixed reef
drouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 10:47 PM   #13
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drouner View Post
Very nice setup. Does your tank get very hot with the 250 MH over it? Why are you running LEDs in conjunction with the MH? Dawn/Dusk cycle?
Being a rimless tank it really doesn't get hot at all, even with the 250w mh I fluctuate between 78-80. I bought fans and never had to use them. I had a 150w mh fixture up until about 3 months ago and I don't really notice any difference in heat. The leds are mostly for looks and I have them run on a dawn/dusk effect, as well as on all day to give some of my corals a nice pop.

Unread 10/18/2012, 11:00 PM   #14
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Some yuma's

Unread 10/20/2012, 12:12 AM   #15
LinkinReef
Registered Member

Is the skimmer loud or quiet? I have the same tank and was hoping to add a skimmer but not sure what would fit that was silent enough. I downgraded from a larger tank with a alpha cone skimmer so I'm used to very quiet skimmers.

Does this skimmer you have fit in the chambers or did you have to modify anything? Could you snap some more pics of the skimmer's setup or the back side if possible?

How much GFO and GAC do you use?

Thats a really nice tank, wish mine looked like that lol

Unread 10/21/2012, 04:40 PM   #16
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Hey linkin, the skimmer is fairly quiet in my tank. The guy i bought it from said it made a loud gargling sound and so he put a pill container upside down over the air adjustment. I have never really noticed much sound myself. It fits the tank without any mods but the intake is not very long and so you have to keep the back chanbers very full of water for it to work. It would be better to extend the intake using pvc or something? I will take some pics for you in the next couple days. I am running about 1-1 1 1/2 cups gfo and a couple cups of carbon in my reactor right now, and i have it so the outtake shoots the water into the main display to kind of speed the water through the filter chambers more than just the return pump. Hope you understand all this haha, thanks for your comment!

Unread 10/21/2012, 09:35 PM   #17
echopiece
Registered Member

How do you like the Phoenix 14k bulb? That's my next choice in my 250w. I'm currently running the stock Hamilton 14k. It has a nice blue hue to it, but from what I have seen the Phoenix is much bluer.

Unread 10/21/2012, 09:59 PM   #18
kevantheman35
Registered Member

I like it a lot I ran the same in my 150w fixture. I am ready for a new bulb and chances are I will get the same bulb as they're too expensive to gamble on lol.

Unread 10/30/2012, 03:14 PM   #19
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Obtained and installed an mp10 today, which replaced my tunze 6025. Come on coral growth!

Unread 10/31/2012, 04:10 PM   #20
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxdesigner View Post
Nice solana! Excellent idea with the blue DIY LEDs!
Thanks! It was much easier than I originally thought. If you're interested I used one of the kits seen herehttp://www.rapidled.com/non-dimmable...pplement-kits/

Unread 10/31/2012, 08:08 PM   #21
CJ03
Registered Member

The tank looks great! That stand is awesome. Really nice work on it.

Cj

CJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 07:19 PM   #22
kevantheman35
Registered Member

thanks a lot! Stand took me quite a long time to build the way I wanted it

Unread 11/02/2012, 12:54 AM   #23
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Impressions of the mp10 so far
Pros:

1. Its awesome to have multiple settings to play with. I played with making waves on short pulse mode before finally settling on lagoon mode at about 100%. What settings does everyone like to use?
2. It has much more sex appeal than my tunze pumps haha.
3. It is much less noticeable in the aquarium than other pumps and takes up a lot less room.
Cons:
1. It is way louder than any pump I have ever used when set anywhere near full power. I would rather g with an mp20 or 40 and set the power real low to minimize sound.
2. The dry side gets very hot and I am constantly messing with it afraid that the two sides are not perfectly aligned and the pump will overheat or break.
3. You have no choice but to have an ugly cord going across your tank as it is impossible to hide if you have the pump on the side of the tank.

Overall I like it a lot so far. I got a very good deal on the mp10, trading a tunze 6025 and a little cash for it, so I am not out too much if it does break on me. Plus I always have a tunze 6045 sitting around if I change my mind.

Unread 01/23/2013, 11:30 PM   #24
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Time for an update!
Since my last post I have installed brs dosing pumps for my 2 part which has been great. I am
still fighting hair algae problems, still barely feeding and using ridiculous amounts of GFO. I think I may finally be getting a handle on it and am planning on running bio pellets starting this week. I just replaced my bulb to make sure that wasn't the issue so bio pellets are my last resort. Other than that the Darwin clowns continue to grow and are getting along great, and I have added some new livestock.
New Livestock:
Tuxedo Urchin-This guy is the only invert I have ever owned that has actually destroyed algae. I am very happy with his performance and he looks awesome.
Lettuce Nudibranch- Enjoyed him for a few days before he disappeared into the rock, haven't spotted him in a few weeks.
New corals:
These guys are waiting to find a spot in my tank, The rasta frag went from a single polyp to 7 polyps in 2 weeks so I am extremely happy with it.

I've never seen a mushroom quite like this one I picked up from a local who was taking down his tank, it's extremely bright and pretty large.

FTS

Unread 01/23/2013, 11:31 PM   #25
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Alright time to kick some algae *** lol. Hooking everything up tonight, will keep updates on the progress.