Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2018, 11:55 PM   #1
allendavant
Registered Member

Dinoflagellates

Ok,so I've got a dinoflagellate problem. What's the best way to get rid of it?

allendavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 12:38 AM   #2
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

Manual removal. How long has it been. Don't start worrying if they just showed up, they can go away quickly. I had then for 1-2 weeks and they cleared up mostly.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 12:40 AM   #3
allendavant
Registered Member

I’ve had them for about 3 weeks.

Unread 01/14/2018, 02:06 AM   #4
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Pictures?

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 09:16 PM   #5
allendavant
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/15/2018, 09:35 PM   #6
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Pull them out and scrub them really well. Maybe use peroxide on them, one rock at a time though. I had real bad algae issues on three of my rocks so I pulled them and soaked them in tank water and peroxide mix for about 5 minutes. That was three weeks ago and so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Rover88
Registered Member

What worked for me, take with your own grain of salt.

Three day complete blackout. (Covered tank from ambient light.)

At end of three days, a lot of manual suction, scrubbing, etc, to remove the dead bits.

For the next two weeks, added 1 ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons of water in the system (EDIT: Once per day)(100 gallons for me is 10 ml). This is of the TOPICAL stuff, the low percentage hydrogen peroxide mix that is used at most stores. Not the heavy grade.

I followed this advice from a local fish store thats been doing it for 30ish years or so. He swore by it, nothing online steered me far away from it, and it worked for me. My problem wasn't NEARLY as bad as yours, and a /little/ came back on the loc-line of my overflow, but it never returned to my rocks or sand.

I removed the locline to clean it independently, and I've yet to see it return again.

Last edited by Rover88; 01/16/2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: DAILY
Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 10:15 PM   #8
Mountaintank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
What worked for me, take with your own grain of salt.

Three day complete blackout. (Covered tank from ambient light.)
Did you remove your fish and/or corals while doing the black out or the hydrogen peroxide treatment?

Mountaintank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 11:08 PM   #9
Lsufan
Registered Member

Some strains are relatively easy to get rid of , but others are almost impossible. The first time I had it I fought it for over a year & eventually tore down the tank & started over(with a bigger tank of coarse). That was a long time ago & although I did try the peroxide it was before things like dinoX & vibrant.

What is your no3 & po4? I would guess it is quite low. It isn’t always the case but the majority of the time people people get Dino they have 0 no3 & po4 or its very low. I believe tanks can get almost to sterile Dino loves that environment. They have no other algea to compete with so they can take over. That was my case the last time I got Dino which was in the last year.

I tried just about everything including peroxide, dinoX & vibrant & nothing worked at all. I started dosing the tank daily with phyto & working on getting my nutrients up. I had already stopped doing water changes. Once my no3 hit about 3 ppm all of the brown dusting I would get on my glass started to turn to the normal green algea. Once that started happening the Dino started to go away. I battled it off & on for about a year & am still getting small amounts when my nutrients drop to low. I have to feed a lot to keep no3 in the tank & started doing water changes once a month instead of every week or two. It’s the only way I can keep any no3 in the tank. I can tell when my no3 zeros out because I start to get the brown dusting on the glass & soon after Dino starts to show up on the sand, powerheads & overflow which are the first places it shows up. So I would recommend trying to get some green algea to show up.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 01:34 AM   #10
ramseynb
Registered Member

Make sure it’s actually dinos. That looks like hair algae with film algae growing on it. Dinos is like bubbly snot/slime. Is that what you have?

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote