Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2013, 07:18 PM   #1
MARINECRITTERS
Registered Member

Cuttle fish care

Hi, I am going to pick up some cuttle fish eggs and I need some tips on how to hatch them ( temp, salinity, etc ).
Also some general care would be nice ( diet, tankmates, tank size, etc )

Current Tank Info: 91 Gallon Reef
MARINECRITTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

I'm not an expert on this but here it goes..

Cuttlefish are predators and will eat tankmates. They eat crabs, silversides, crayfish, and anything else they can find. Feeding stick may be needed for frozen or dead food. some can get over a foot in length.. no one is sure what species each one is they are highly variable so its best to prepare for the largest which is around a foot and I think a 55 gallon is big enough.. They have very short life spans of several months to 1 or 2 years which usually is reduced even more in captivity. I also heard high lighting is needed?

Unread 10/09/2013, 12:33 AM   #3
asid61
Registered Member

There are a few caresheets on the web for cuttlefish. Are you getting dwarf cuttlefish or larger ones?
If this is a first salt tank, don't go cuttlefish for a few months so you can get used to the regimen.
Tankmates are basically snails and maybe brittle stars. Anything else could be bad.
They need live food for a long time (few months) and then can be trained onto frozen food.
If you are buying eggs, get them from online, and make sure they are sepia bandensis eggs instead of metasepia pfefferi or other species that are hard to keep.

asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote