Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2015, 11:21 AM   #26
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke1 View Post
We like p!ssing money away multiple ways.
Omg...

Is this my wife?

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 02:55 PM   #27
broke1
Registered Member

Nope, but I do have both additions also.

Current Tank Info: Too big, yet too small
broke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 04:01 PM   #28
Yash
Registered Member

OP - a few questions since I'm going to need a similar setup for a water change system.

1. What is the diameter of the grey/black pipes that run from the containers up to the sump?

2. Approximately how far does the water have to travel to the sump, and is it a straight line?

3. If you don't mind me asking, how much were those mixing containers?

The tank that I am planning is going to be on the same level but in a different room with a closet in between. So the pipe will have to run up 8 ft, across 15 ft, down 5 ft and across 3 ft to the tank. There will also be a few 90 degree elbows as I manoever around the ceiling beam and through the closet. I wonder what type of a pump I will need and also if the siphon system running out the sump like you have going will work for me given the angles in the pipe that I will have.

I appreciate your thoughts/input. Cheers!

Yash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 09:33 PM   #29
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash View Post
OP - a few questions since I'm going to need a similar setup for a water change system.

1. What is the diameter of the grey/black pipes that run from the containers up to the sump? That is all 3/4" schedule 80 PVC

2. Approximately how far does the water have to travel to the sump, and is it a straight line? Mine is definitely not a straight line. I have a total distance, from the pump in the basement to the sump, of 17 feet. I have a total rise of 11 feet. In that run I have a total of six 90 degree fittings.

3. If you don't mind me asking, how much were those mixing containers? You can find them here: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...rage-tank.html

The tank that I am planning is going to be on the same level but in a different room with a closet in between. So the pipe will have to run up 8 ft, across 15 ft, down 5 ft and across 3 ft to the tank. There will also be a few 90 degree elbows as I manoever around the ceiling beam and through the closet. I wonder what type of a pump I will need and also if the siphon system running out the sump like you have going will work for me given the angles in the pipe that I will have. Where is the water going to drain to when doing a water change?

I appreciate your thoughts/input. Cheers!

Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 09:55 PM   #30
Broadfield
Registered Member

Onto the Apex system and wiring. For this tank I wanted to get ultra organized. The Reefer 450 has a very large area on the right side of the stand for a chiller. I don't really have a need for a chiller where I live. Once it hits at least 80 degrees in the spring here, it's humid as can be... so the air is on. So this gave me a great place to mount/display all of my Apex gear, Vortech controllers etc. I decided I would do a false panel that held the modules/controllers and then have all of the power bricks and EnergyBars behind it.

I blocked off 2/3 of the opening for a "power panel". You can also see the 3/4" schedule 80 that comes from the basement for water changes etc.

I then secured a panel up high for part of the gear and hinged a second panel below it for all of the Apex modules and controller. This can be hinged up 90 degrees to gain access to all of the cabling. Then lastly a 3rd panel to block off the bottom. My next task is to organize all of the cables behind there.

Unread 09/22/2015, 06:36 AM   #31
CaminDFW2
Registered Member

That is a very nice setup... I wish I could get my wiring that neat!!!!

CaminDFW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 07:51 AM   #32
Yash
Registered Member

Wow! That is one sweet setup! Thoroughly impressed.

Just a small note on the chiller comment you made. I know this is an extremely rare occurrence, though I just wanted to share my personal experience. Earlier this summer, our AC unit went out and had to be replaced entirely. It took 3-4 days before the new unit was delivered and installed. As luck would have it, that happened to be the hottest week of the summer. No matter how many bags of ice I floated in my sump, my temp just would not come down below 95. As a result, I lost all my corals and all but 2 of my fish! In hindsight now, I wish I had a chiller on hand, even if I might not use it everyday. So just a fair warning ... especially when you have a ton of money into the tank, you may want to at least have a chiller on hand for emergencies. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I just did.

I'll post a picture of the room this evening to show you how my pipes will need to be routed and drained. Maybe that will allow me to pick your brain a little since the concept that you have is almost identical to what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers!

Unread 09/22/2015, 11:09 AM   #33
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Wow that's nice!

Love the APEX and tablet

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 11:42 AM   #34
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow! That is one sweet setup! Thoroughly impressed.

Just a small note on the chiller comment you made. I know this is an extremely rare occurrence, though I just wanted to share my personal experience. Earlier this summer, our AC unit went out and had to be replaced entirely. It took 3-4 days before the new unit was delivered and installed. As luck would have it, that happened to be the hottest week of the summer. No matter how many bags of ice I floated in my sump, my temp just would not come down below 95. As a result, I lost all my corals and all but 2 of my fish! In hindsight now, I wish I had a chiller on hand, even if I might not use it everyday. So just a fair warning ... especially when you have a ton of money into the tank, you may want to at least have a chiller on hand for emergencies. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I just did.

I'll post a picture of the room this evening to show you how my pipes will need to be routed and drained. Maybe that will allow me to pick your brain a little since the concept that you have is almost identical to what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers!
Cool, just PM the pictures so this thread doesn't get too dirtied up with images that are not of my build

Unread 09/22/2015, 11:44 AM   #35
Yash
Registered Member

What all are you charting on the iPad? I take it its connected to the Apex?

Unread 09/22/2015, 11:45 AM   #36
Yash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Cool, just PM the pictures so this thread doesn't get too dirtied up with images that are not of my build
Certainly! Wouldn't to hijack such an amazing build thread with my junk

Unread 09/22/2015, 11:47 AM   #37
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
What all are you charting on the iPad? I take it its connected to the Apex?
Yeah, it's just running the Apex app. I never use the iPad mini for anything, so I figured I might as well give it a cool home.

Unread 09/22/2015, 11:55 AM   #38
Broadfield
Registered Member

Finished my media reactor setup. I decided to do a manifold inline with the return line. I did 3/4" schedule 80 out of an EcoTech Vectra M1 DC pump. Up from there into the 3/4" manifold, which T's out to 1/2" gate valves and into the reactors. Works absolutely perfect. This is my first time doing anything with plumbing at all, so I was pretty happy with the results.

A shot of my water change line. Simply priming this line, turning off the pump, open the valve in the image, open the drain valve in the basement... instant syphon to drain the entire main sump area. I love sitting in the chair in front of my tank and using Apex Fusion to turn on the basement pump to pump salt water back up to the sump. I really hated lugging buckets around with my old tank.

Unread 09/22/2015, 12:00 PM   #39
dabob79
Registered Member

very nice setup!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 01:17 PM   #40
Yash
Registered Member

Wow! I am so jealous at your setup! Everything looks really clean, neatly organized and well planned. Great work there!

Unread 09/22/2015, 03:48 PM   #41
bmullikin1
Registered Member

wow is the word, I see your ocd extends to your cars as well.

bmullikin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 12:40 PM   #42
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

That set up is nothing short of AMAZING. Is that the NYOS skimmer? How do you like that skimmer?

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 12:59 PM   #43
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODE3EMT View Post
That set up is nothing short of AMAZING. Is that the NYOS skimmer? How do you like that skimmer?
Yes, it's the Nyos 120... it's off the chain amazing! Dead silent also.

Unread 09/25/2015, 01:52 PM   #44
CODE3EMT
Registered Member

Would you be so kind as to comment a bit more on it? I heard some bad reviews on it. Skimming, break in, pump, customer service, cleaning.

CODE3EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 02:31 PM   #45
Bent
I got nothin'

The money plumbing all that sch80 was probably more than my entire system.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 04:03 PM   #46
ninjamyst
Registered Member

wow, you went all out on this build. very nice.

ninjamyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2015, 03:54 PM   #47
leemosh
Registered Member

I'm curious, when you made holes in the cabinet, did you seal the edges with something?

leemosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 11:50 AM   #48
Broadfield
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemosh View Post
I'm curious, when you made holes in the cabinet, did you seal the edges with something?
If you are referring to the large ones in the center brace, then technically yes. The one that the cables go through is a 1" bulkhead fitting... so it has the rubber pads for each side. Then the other is a 3/4" bulkhead that my water change pipe goes through.

Unread 09/30/2015, 12:24 PM   #49
Broadfield
Registered Member

Well, I pulled the other two Hydra 52's off of my other tank and slapped them on the Reefer 450, but they were not on there for long... I'll explain later.

Unread 09/30/2015, 12:40 PM   #50
Staisman
Registered Member

Lol I saw this and couldn't not to post mine

And this is my tank

Current Tank Info: 75 gal with 55 gal sump/refugium

Last edited by Staisman; 09/30/2015 at 12:51 PM.
Staisman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua illuminations, nyos, red sea, reefer 450