Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2018, 11:48 PM   #1
fishnpups
Registered Member

Question Can you RO/DI existing saltwater?

Hey ya'll, so I know that RO/DI is very important but it wasn't until 8 months into my 3 tank that I finally decided to buy a unit due to my existing hair algae issue that hasn't died off despite every possible effort to do so.

I have 25 gallons in my brute right now running at 1.024 salinity IO Reef crystals, I'd like to keep some of it if possible and my RO/DI system arrives on Wednesday (or before)
Is it possible to the 4 chamber RO/DI and keep some of the saltwater?

I also have reef complete to replenish the minerals like magnesium, strontium, calcium, iodide, etc.

If not, no biggy. I have a 200 gallon box. Thank you!!

fishnpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 12:03 AM   #2
outy
Moved On

Not sure what your trying to do, it was hard to understand.

Use your current salt water mix doing water changes, if you want to add more ro/di water you can and add more salt.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 05:26 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

No you do not want to reprocess your saltwater through the RO/DI filter..

Unread 01/22/2018, 05:44 AM   #4
sbeason
Registered Member

No you should not even try to run your saltwater through your RO/DI unit. If you suspect your current saltwater in your storage container is bad, then throw it out and make new once your new RO/DI unit arrives.

sbeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 11:06 AM   #5
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

What others have said, you can't run saltwater through an RODI. It will ruin your RODI filters, and the water comming out will likely not be clean anyways.

Just get rid of the water you have, clean your mixing container, and make more once your RODI comes in. I'm sure your tank can wait a few days for a water change.

Good luck and enjoy your new clean water! It may or may not get rid of your GHA problem, but using unfiltered water can be a big factor. If it still gets worse, you'll have to check phosphate levels in your tank and nitrate levels. Over feeding is usually a culprit in GHA.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

RO will remove the salt so it would be pointless. There are huge RO-based desalinization plants in Florida, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and China. Many ships have them too - probably the biggest use of RO worldwide.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 01:49 AM   #7
fishnpups
Registered Member

I'll just make more then, just wanted to save the salt, but no biggy. 200 gallons is only 50 dollars and I did the last water change last week with water from the fish store's RO/DI because my water hose was frozen :P so they'll be good for a while.

All my parameters in my 5 gallon and and in my 35 bowfront and 10 sump. Ammonia near indetectable as of last week, ph stable between 81-8.4, phosphates undetectable. Calcium, magnesium and alkalinity were all good as well(don't know exactly, the saltwater specialty guy just read it out to me since I only have the basic salt API kit). Hammer and palys are out, and the pachysarus(?) are all out happy, unbothered.

Phosphates are also nearly undetectable, but hair algae will not go away,pretty sure it's eating as much as the tank makes between the chaeto and GHA. I've tried 3 days of lights out, blackout curtains to block out extra sun. My sump has chaeto, a coralife 65 protein skimmer, with built in overflow, and I already cleaned all plumbing as well.

I think it's because I used an old hydor wave pump from my old tank that seeded it. I didn't let it dry all the way and didn't take it all the way apart to clean the propellor. So now, 8 months later, the algae is creeping (not terrible, but an eye sore).

Also I feed frozen so there is less build up from overfeeding. I have a captive bred biota mandarin so I have to feed the tank daily for her. but the clowns and sixline and even my sailfin eat all the leftovers

fishnpups is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, tap water