Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2015, 01:51 PM   #1
jaylensdad06
Registered Member

40 breeder DIY sump

I am about to set up a 120 deep. demensions are 48x24x24. it is used like my 55 was when I got it. I don't like the sump that came with it. so I have a 40 breeder that I want to turn into a sump. just fishing for ideas in design. I have a few already. I have it in my head that I wanna use a simple 3 chamber design. a filter sock/heater/whatever + refugium + return.

I was toying with 2 drains. 1 on each end into a single sock on each end. 1 end the skimmer and the other the refugium with the return in the middle.

what does everyone think? all advise or critisisms welcome.

jaylensdad06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 02:09 PM   #2
nottarts23
Registered Member

I'm at the same point in design. This is what I was thinking with drain into skimmer section

I have read that drain into refugium just leads to problems. I think most of reads said it is a garbage dump ....

nottarts23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 02:37 PM   #3
nathan1986
Registered Member

I just picked up a 120 deep tank. The plumbing was already dome when i purchased it. I currently have freshwater running thru it to clean it out. It has a durso drain and is COMPLETELY SILENT. the drain is 1 1/2". I can post pics of the drain setup and sump setup if needed

nathan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 08:05 PM   #4
jaylensdad06
Registered Member

absolutly nathan. any info or pics welcome...I startéd out with a 5 gallon...then 55...now 120....to bad the only new tank was a 5...but I dont mind the cleaning and redesign.

Unread 08/03/2015, 08:06 PM   #5
nathan1986
Registered Member

No problem at all. I will take pictures tomorrow and send them to you. Is your 120 already drilled for an overflow?

Unread 08/03/2015, 11:31 PM   #6
CHizer
Registered Member

That's pretty much the design of mine. The skimmer chamber and fuge both overflow into the return. The return goes to the fuge, gated with ball valve and splits to the return. I'm pretty happy with the sump design.

CHizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Safir
Registered Member

here is my old sump, same concept as above, you can see the drain section to the left, and the return is teed to the 'fuge.

Safir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 02:23 PM   #8
jaylensdad06
Registered Member

no unfortunately it is not drilled....I am undecided if im gonna order over flo boxes from glass holes or build my own box or just do a hob overflow...I have some different designs I can toy with to stop it from losing prime when the power goes out. it is an old tank tho it has the brown edging..lol

Unread 08/04/2015, 04:09 PM   #9
snake1
Premium Member

I have a 40 breeder I made into a sump it has worked well for me the drain goes to a sock on the right to collect detritus and then the same chamber the skimmer is there to, that helps clean the water as well then the next chamber is the refugium this is where the sponges and pods all grow out I keep sand and rocks in here and cheto on top the water flows through it and this stuff grows like crazy ..I have undetectable po4 with a salifert test kit ..I also run the cheaper gfo....then from the refugium I have a return pump zone after the bubble baffles, I used to run an internal pump but drilled it and have external currently ...I got all my glass cut and the edges rounded for $38.00 for four panels from a local glass shop and silicone them in myself ...I like this design because the water flows across all sections. My cheto grows from smaller than a volleyball size to a bed pillow in a few months..this design guarantees no bubbles in the main display ..hope this helps giving you different ideas

Last edited by snake1; 08/04/2015 at 04:23 PM.
snake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 05:05 PM   #10
nathan1986
Registered Member

I think your biggest decision will be to drill or not to drill the display tank. And if you do drill what overflow system to use. I know glass holes has great reviews from many different forums. And from what ive noticed quite a few people are using a bean animal over flow setup. I try to look at peoples setups when im at houses picking up corals lol a hang on back over flow would aslo work just fine, im using one on a 55g and its quite noisy. And ive heard some people had the "U" tube break syphon causing the tank to over flow. Drilling a tank is intimidating but im sure there is someone on here that has drilled tanks several times and could lend you a hand and help out. And snake1's sump is a pretty common design. Some people might move the skimmer to the fuge area if they arent using a fuge but the 3 chamber design like his is popular.

Unread 08/04/2015, 07:49 PM   #11
jaylensdad06
Registered Member

awsome. all of this is very help full...I found something on ebay for a baffle kit for a 40 breeder...cnc cut acrilic....I used to work in construction so im pretty familiar with adhesives. is fish safe silicone strong enough to hold acrilic to glass. or has n e one used a different type of silicone?

Unread 08/05/2015, 03:39 AM   #12
snake1
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylensdad06 View Post
awsome. all of this is very help full...I found something on ebay for a baffle kit for a 40 breeder...cnc cut acrilic....I used to work in construction so im pretty familiar with adhesives. is fish safe silicone strong enough to hold acrilic to glass. or has n e one used a different type of silicone?
I have never tried it but people on here say silicone will not stick to acrylic ..That's why I went with glass baffles I have acrylic and was going to use it on mine but after reading that I went with glass instead.

snake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2015, 07:19 AM   #13
oldsaint
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylensdad06 View Post
Use Dow Corning 795 Silicone and you will be fine. MUST allow 2 weeks to fully cure.

BTW, I just finished installing those baffles in a 40 breeder sump I'm using on a frag system.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, Elos 90g, 29g QT
oldsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2015, 07:35 AM   #14
tigger2577
Registered Member

I highly recommend not to mix materials on a sump, Acrylic absorbs water and can expand and explode your glass tank. I have never experienced this but I trust this information.

here is some great information

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...45&postcount=3

and the source thred

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2500956

tigger2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2015, 07:50 AM   #15
oldsaint
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger2577 View Post
I highly recommend not to mix materials on a sump, Acrylic absorbs water and can expand and explode your glass tank. I have never experienced this but I trust this information.

here is some great information

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...45&postcount=3

and the source thred

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2500956
That is why the baffles from Modular Marine leave an 1/8" cap between the glass and baffle.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, Elos 90g, 29g QT
oldsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 07:33 PM   #16
jaylensdad06
Registered Member

all of this is very helpful. thanx to everyone.